Thread: HW45 problem - any ideas?

HW45 problem - any ideas?

i have a little problem with my HW45 .177 pistol.

the pivot pin on the rear site keeps creeping out after a dozen shots. i've tried tapping it in with a punch, tried glueing with araldite but it still keeps creeping out.

any one else had this? if so how'd you fix it?

maybe a thread lock glue? any other ideas?

thanks.

i presume this is unique to my pistol then.

how is the pin kept in place on these guns normally? mine just has a pin but nothing actually holds it in place.

I'm struggling to remember what my HW45 rearsight is like... Is there any chance there's a tiny circlip or similar that is missing from it? I'll get mine out when I get home and check.

I had this problem with mine annoying thing kept working its way out no circlip. It took more than 1 go to locktite it in place, slippery little so and so stays put now.
    John
    I Wear my Badge I have my Voice Proud to be a BASC Member

A dab of loctite sorted my one out nicely.

thankyou for your replies.
    there's no circlip on mine. i was wondering if i had the wrong pin fitted (got the gun 2nd hand) but this is obviously a design fault.
    i tried araldite but i'll now try some loctite threadlock.

for anyone thinking of buying one of these pistols...it is a great gun - especially with a set of hogue grips.

thanks all.

Its not a design fault,its just wear.
    Last edited by ikarma70; 04-06-2008 at 09:22 AM.

could be wear, but the gun was in mint condition when i got it - looked like it hadn't been used.
    if a part wears out without much use then imo it'd be a design fault. it's not like it is a wear part as there should be no movement on it. a circlip arrange ment would make more sense to me

me too!

I'd the very same problem, in a mint second hand .177 pistol too.
    I got cross and dinked the end of the pin with a nail and hammer combo, to spread out the end of the pin. Seems to have stuck for a few weeks anyway.

Looooow tech solution.

Aran
    Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
    Speak when you are angry --and you will make the best speech you'll ever regret.

Maybe a tiny little dab of solder on the end of the pin would hold it?

thanks for your replies.
    i tried tapping in with a hammer & nail but didn't want to risk dinging my paint on my shiny gun so didn't bash try too hard.

i solved the problem by pushing out the pin a little, cleaned it with some electrical cleaner, then dabbed a little araldite on each side of the site hinge - not too much, just enough so i could still knock the pin out if required in future. so far after 500 pellets it's still ok.

Ratgunner

Glad to see Araldite saved the day, plain pins can be a pain in the rear, but if they persist on falling out,
    take out the pin feeding a similar sized bit of metal
    IE: paperclip or pin in behind it to hold yer bits n bobs in place, then gently put a small bend in the offending pin and replace it, end of prob!

Mine was bought new about 20 years ago and has a circlip.

ATB Chris.

If you know someone with a small lathe and a clamp type knurling tool a few mm of knurl at the end of the pin will cause it to swell slightly and the rough surface will then grip in the hole. This is quite a common way of retaining pins.
    A lower tech alternative is to use a centre punch on the side of the pin and make an indent or two close to the end, this will cause raised ridges which should grip the inside of the hole. Rest the pin in the almost closed jaws of a vice or wear eye protection in case it goes walkabout when you hit the centre punch.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by ratgunner View Post
    Glad to see Araldite saved the day, plain pins can be a pain in the rear, but if they persist on falling out,
    take out the pin feeding a similar sized bit of metal
    IE: paperclip or pin in behind it to hold yer bits n bobs in place, then gently put a small bend in the offending pin and replace it, end of prob!
    now why didn't i think of that? it'd only take the smallest bend to make it a tight interference fit. gr8 idea, dead simple.

thanks.