Thread: Looking for more free help - standing shooting

jonmalone Guest

Looking for more free help - standing shooting

Daystate MK2 standard.
    Rural location no local club or other PCP pellet shooters that I can find locally.

I am a member of the local rimfire club but they mainly shoot prone and with shoulder straps.

I am not having much success with a standing form (I am an archer so am used to straight form, breath control, muscle control etc).

I am trying for 24mm targets at 25m. When shooting prone or off a front rest or with a hand on a post I can hit them most of the time. So I think the kit is OK an dthe sights are zeroed.

Free standing I get 1 target in 10 and only then by luck. Wee runs of 3 in a row and then ages without a hit.

I see two problems. My trigger pull is moving the rifle (BUT I think THE WRONG WAY). I am a lefty, I aim low and to the left I seem to have more success hitting target than when I aim "spot on". My assumtion is that the trigger pull is moving the barrel up and right. Does this tell somebody something about

The sights are zeroed for 25m and in prone or supported it hits where I aim.

Clues, advice please.

How many hours does it take each of you to get reasonable form for standing? How many lead mines do I have to have reopened in wales to satisfy my need for lead!

Any clues. I had to learn archery the smae way - lots of arrows, lots of mistakes until 1 "mistake" actually improved things then onwards and upwards.

Current stance is with my feet 90-110 degrees to target (over-rotated, sometimes stock touches chest). Feet about hip width apart, right bicep running accros chest (I cant get to my hips) My elbow is just at my rib cage. Breathing OK, wobble hellish.

Things seem better with a wider feet stance and moving slightly more weight on the rear foot and with some over rotation.

HELP - can anyone suggest a decent text book, a video, somebody who can explain the form.

I have searched around this forum but can't find any threads - pointers would be appreciated.

jon

Try here,

There are some really good manuals on here, hope they help.

http://www.nefta.net/html/technical_resources.htm

They helped me!

Richard

Is the gun a springer or a PCP?

If it's a springer and you've zeroed it from a prone/bench position, you'll find that the recoil will shift your POI when shooting from standing.

When zeroing a springer it's best to set your sights from the position you'll do most of your shooting from

To test it out, use an oversized paper target at your given range - fire 5-10 shots from a bench/prone, then at a similar target from standing. If your groups still decent, but off from where you're aiming then it's the kick of the gun shifting your POI

HTH,

Dan

jonmalone Guest

FAO Delta1

I have tried downloading the zip files from nefta a few times.

I awlways get that that

End-of-central-directory signature not found.

Its an http load so ftp/bin/text does not apply.

Can others download the ft_setup_manual.zip OK?

829395 bytes when downloaded.

jon

Sorry, I didnt test the links, I have them on my pc at home downloaded some time ago, email me your address I'll send you them on CD.

Or if youre on MSN let me know and I'll send them to you that way.

Richard

Regards
    Seggy

Does the stock fit you for standing position? You must have your head firmly on the cheek piece. Your head weighs about 15 percent of your total body weight. Place a weight like that on the back end of the stock and it will bring some stability.

Sling - a must.

At the range you are shooting, a cross wind will be affecting your pellets so do allow for that. POI shifting to one side may not just be trigger technique. However the lighter the trigger pull the better.

Shoot with breath exhaled and within 4 seconds. If not steady, breathe again.

Feet should be just wider apart than shoulder width. Throw your front hip forward, and put about 70 percent of the body weight on the front foot.

HTH

Rich

Snapshot. Guest

Re: FAO Delta1

Originally posted by jonmalone
    I have tried downloading the zip files from nefta a few times.

I awlways get that that

End-of-central-directory signature not found.

Its an http load so ftp/bin/text does not apply.

Can others download the ft_setup_manual.zip OK?

829395 bytes when downloaded.

jon
    Both files downloaded here without problems and I was able to unzip them afterwards.

Jonathan

Re: Try here,

Originally posted by delta1
    There are some really good manuals on here, hope they help.

http://www.nefta.net/html/technical_resources.htm

They helped me!

Richard
    No probs downloading and unzipping here

jonmalone Guest
    I am downloading to linux. I never *usually* have problems. I see that others can download OK, so if they can I can too. I'll move to a different machine later today.

Delta1 thanks for the offier of a CD. If I get stuck I'll take up your offer.

I think I get my head on OK. On a std huntsman I have a standard (moveable) butt plate but no "hook". Is the holding position of the butt end much different to the prone position. I probably have the butt end a wee bit closer to my kneck standing.

I am shooting down the side of a barn. It gives a fair bit of shelter and certainly from prone there is no drift of POI.

More on a sling, I shoot rimfire prone with a "bicept" strap on the right shoulder (I am a lefty). Is this the sort of sling you mean - shooting jacket and a shoulder tethered sling?

I did not relalise I could use a sling. I am sure some HFT rule that said no sling. (UK Hunter FT rules "... The sue of a sling is allowed but not as a shooting aid". Did I misread or did I read a specific club rule thinking it was a generic. Can you use a sling at the 10meter standing?

Sorry for all the daft questions it seems hard to come up to speed quickly in the techniques/rules.

Anybody passing Inverness is welcome to offer tuition and advice in return for a pint (of whisky). The whisky is consumed AFTER the shooting not during!

Didn't appreciate that your interest is hunter FT. Field target allows the use of a sling. I meant a full sling, on the rifle. Hold the rifle muzzle up. Put your right elbow through the sling. Move your right wrist to the outside of the sling and then sideways leftwards to hold the fore-end. The sling should now be taut, from the left side of your right hand and around the elbow.

Rich