Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered an Umarex Smith!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    You're a pistoleer for sure, Ratgunner! I can't wait for the S&W to arrive. But, I confess I didn't think to order CO2 powerlets till a couple days after I ordered the pistol!

In any case, I should be all set up by around Tuesday next week.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim
    Stick to the 5 mags routine. No drop off and less chance of a jam. Review the gun when you get it. I've posted mine so you don't need to read it again.
    Jams are infrequent but they are a real pig to clear. Only jam I have had has been from a duff pellet which was too loose so now I stick to Dynamic Tripple P 1and they are fine. I have the 8" barrel and find it's great for strengthening the wrist (NO comments please) but makes the gun more accurate than I am.
    Enjoy
    Target Bunny

Pistol arrived today!

The Powerlets didn't, but I didnt let that stop me, it was off to Walmart!

Then, out the backyard goes I, and shot up 1 Powerlet and 50 pellets in the 5cylinders (2 came with the pistol, and I ordered 3 spares .

It was a bit louder than I expected. It was SO pleasant and fun to shoot that 10 rounds always went so quickly, I had to keep reminding myself to reload!

I tried it at 6 yards, and 10 meters, and shot it well at the shorter distance. I did well with single action shots, whether holding it with one hand or two, but not so well double action (even with a 2 hand hold), or at the longer distance.

The trigger was stiffer than my P3.

The added weight over the P3 cured my trembling problem. I didn't find the 6 " Smith excessively heavy for the short session but I can see how it could become tiring over a long period.

All in all, LOTS of fun! And I believe this pistol is capable of much better accuracy than I am.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I had a S&W 6" barrel and quickly sold it. Lovely pistol good looks and well made trigger was not bad. Unfortunately I found the hand grips too large and the power too low for can mangling. It could not rotate my spinner at 5 yds.
    John
    I Wear my Badge I have my Voice Proud to be a BASC Member

Yes, I've heard many shooters criticize the Umarex pieces for lack of power. Both the Smith and my P3 (are supposed to) get about 425 fps, but all I'm doing so far is paper punching so it's not an issue.

Eventually, I'll want something with more power. Don't hunt tin cans if you can't kill them humanely with one shot, I always say!

I guess it's the same trade off as with cartridge guns: harder to combine lots of shots with lots of power.

Jim

Thats the spirit well done to you sir.
    John
    I Wear my Badge I have my Voice Proud to be a BASC Member

Hi Jim how you getting on with the S & W? Don't know if you've done any full-bore pistol but, could I pass on a couple of tips. When you hold with two hands try 70% grip with your strong hand and 30% with your weak hand. Don't grip too firm. Best fun I have is speed shooting, try lining up 5 tin cans and time yourself to hit them all. Practice double action only style. You'll very soon become competent shooting this way. Like the L & N frame it's based on you can double action the hammer back and momentarily hold the shot before letting the sear break. Now get in yer back yard and practice. Phil

=

Umarex/S & W power

Lack of power?
    Only if you try to wring every last pellet out of the CO2 capsule. I'll pop out to the back yard midweek and perforate a few tin cans at 25 feet, not drinks cans, to prove it.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...-686Umarex.jpg

Target Bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Hi Jim how you getting on with the S & W? Don't know if you've done any full-bore pistol but, could I pass on a couple of tips. When you hold with two hands try 70% grip with your strong hand and 30% with your weak hand. Don't grip too firm. Best fun I have is speed shooting, try lining up 5 tin cans and time yourself to hit them all. Practice double action only style. You'll very soon become competent shooting this way. Like the L & N frame it's based on you can double action the hammer back and momentarily hold the shot before letting the sear break. Now get in yer back yard and practice. Phil =

Thanks for the shooting tips, Phil!

I have done some cartridge pistol shooting, both .22 and centerfire, but don't have a lot of experience with pistols as heavy as my 6 inch Umarex (about 40 ounces, I understand). But since I'm always bemoaning my Beeman's LACK of weight, I'm not going to start complaining that the Smith is too heavy.

Yes, I think I'll use the Smith mostly for double action, multi-round shooting. It'll be great practice for full bore revolver!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Lack of power?
    Only if you try to wring every last pellet out of the CO2 capsule. I'll pop out to the back yard midweek and perforate a few tin cans at 25 feet, not drinks cans, to prove it.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...-686Umarex.jpg

Target Bunny.
    Can't wait to see those annihilated cans, TB.

Jim

I just wish the main cylinder turned, the way its moulded into the frame reminds me of a childs cap gun.

Can the can

Hi Guys
    OK just completed the canning session. Snag was that with a name like Target Bunny & a site to run I couldn't just let it lie at a few cans with holes in so there will be half a dozen pics and a writeup/comparison.
    So I'll post this now and get on with the article
    Back soon
    Jim

Can the can

Hi Guys,
    Article as promised.
    Pellet penetration

A comment was passed on www.airgunbbs.com about the power or lack of it of Umarex pistols. I have the Smith & Wessson 686 (8” barrel) and I promised the poster that I would pot a few steel cans as a test.
    Now it wont be much of a test without some form of comparison so I also used two types of pellet, lead and tin, to see if other comments I had heard about the tin stuff (They go straight enough but the bloody things don’t stop) were true.
    The results? You judge.

First up was my Webley & Scott Hurricane .22. I put an inch of water in the cans to keep them still and fired several of each type of pellet at them from a measured 25 feet. I wanted to get some kind of effect like hitting a prey animal where the target is not held rigid and it can move simulating the action of hitting a prey target which will be knocked sideways by the strike.
    Each time I got a clean hit on the sides of the can I flipped it over and put a sizeable dent in the side. This only proved that neither pellet would penetrate the can and gave me no effective comparison. So I turned the cans on their side and shot at the bottoms.
    http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...leyScott22.jpg
    This is the most rigid part of the can and again the pellets failed to penetrate but the Dynamic Sn2 (on the left) left a better, more sharply defined dent than the Air Arms Field. Both dents are the same depth and this puzzled me until I realised that they SHOULD be the same depth since the same amount of energy. (3.2ft/lb) had been used to make them.

I should point out that I don’t have a chrono so I am using the quoted power output here and in all powers statements.

Next up was my Webley & Scott Nemesis .177 and since it has the same quoted power output this should be a good comparison. Things were very different. The first shot penetrated the side but left the tin upright with either the Accupel Domed or the Dynamic PPP1 and put sizeable dents in the other side.
    http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...Nemesis177.jpg http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...ngblowPPP1.jpg The big difference was that a glancing shot from the PPP1 (right hand picture) tore the side of the tin. The PPP1 also made a Cleaner hole with less denting round it. The Accupel is on the left and the Dynamic on the right in side and bottom pictures.
    http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...177canbase.jpg
    Again less deformation around the Dynamic hole.

The next test was the Smith & Wesson. I have no idea what the power output is since the manufacturer only quotes a speed without the pellet weight being given so I can not work out the muzzle energy. This minor drawback did not stop the Smith & Wesson from joining the Nemesis in the can perforation stakes and the results with the holes and deformities around them were similar.
    http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...er/Guns/SW.jpg
    http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k.../SWcanbase.jpg
    One startling result was the side shot on the right hand can. I tried to hit it with the double action of the Smith & Wesson and only clipped the top of it on the side facing me but the Dynamic deformed the edge of the can and then punched through the OTHER side. See Below.
    http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...SWRicochet.jpg

So what does it all mean?
    Well the Smith & Wesson can hold its own with either of the other pistols and do better than the Hurricane .22 on hard targets. The larger calibre will be more effective on prey targets due to the larger pellet transferring more energy to the target and the Dynamic pellets really need to contact a bone to get them to transfer their energy even though they are hollow point.
    So in conclusion
    1) I would not use a pistol on live prey except vermin at close range or in an enclosed space but the .22 calibre lead pellet would be a better choice.
    2) On something like a crow or wood pigeon which has stiff feathers the Dynamic pellet will be a good choice.
    3) If I am ever attacked by steel cans I will use the Dynamic .177 pellets.
    4) The Smith & Wesson favourably compares with most CO2 pistols for power and accuracy.
    5) If I personally want to hit things with it I need to practice with the double action.

Sorry this was a bit long but it will become an article on the site and I’m too lazy to write it up twice
    Regards
    Jim

Very interesting TB

My neighbours would flip if I started popping at cans! Think the wife would too!
    Just upset her by telling her I will be in the July UBC comp
    "I dont want you upsetting the neighbours" she said

Just gotta wait for em to leave on their shopping trips

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Quote Originally Posted by vfrkid View Post
    I just wish the main cylinder turned, the way its moulded into the frame reminds me of a childs cap gun.
    Yes...but that could open the manufacturer to more criticism and legal flack. Someone would try to convert it to fire cartridge rounds, and then there'd be hell to pay.

Jim