Thread: Diana Mod. P5 Magnum Pistol;0.177

bigglesworth Guest

Talking Diana Mod. P5 Magnum Pistol;0.177

I `ve just done a trade for a Diana Mod.P5 Magnum pistol and it`s turned out to better than I thought it would be,anyway here`s the review:

Description;

The Mod. P5 is a break barrel spring powered pistol.It come with a nice alloy muzzle weight and the front sight is a drift adjustable dove-tail metal post with a Tru-Glo insert.The rear sight Unit is a fully adjustable Tru-Glo unit and is very user friendly.The barrel pivots on a proper threaded pivot pin/shims set-up, which means you can nip it up tight if there is any wear evident (keep it lubed and it`ll probably outlast you!).Barrel lock up is very positive and in many ways it feel like a miniature rifle (you know,that solidness you get with an HW80 for instance).

The trigger unit is a proper FULLY adjustable two stage -job and again just screams high-quality at you.The frame is made from a black synthetic material and it has plastic right-handed only target style grips, with a nice thumb-shelf on the left one.There is no safety on the U.K. spec version.

How it Shoots;

Initially because it hadn`t been used much, it dieseled like crazy and was doing about 5 to 5.6 ft/lbs and was harsh and unpleasant to shoot.it has now settled down, so here are some figures;-

RWS Super H_Points ;6.9gr give 5.1 ft/lbs (575 fps)

Bisley Practice;7.2gr give 4.35 ft/lbs (520 fps)

JSB Exacts(4.52`s);8.4gr give 4.85ft/lbs (510 fps)

Power-wise all these pellets will punch through a baked beans tin at 12 metres,without any difficulty.

Accuracy wise, they are all brilliant for plinking (out to 20 yards, coke tins are dead meat!).The Bisleys however are the best for paper-punching!(I shot the group below at 10 yards, using a relaxed 2 handed grip,resting on a bean bag,cos I can`t shoot air pistols very well)

Conclusion;

I think this is a very nice pistol,it has great build quality,decent power AND accuracy.Basically it`s a mega-plinker that can double up for serious target work.

Happy Trails!

Kenny
    Last edited by bigglesworth; 12-02-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Nice review. I had no idea these recoilling springers could be as accurate as that. The long sight-base must help, but clearly it is a real shooter. I think the design is one of the oldest still in manufacture, it can be traced back to before WW2. It is also quite powerful as well.

bigglesworth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Nice review. I had no idea these recoilling springers could be as accurate as that. The long sight-base must help, but clearly it is a real shooter. I think the design is one of the oldest still in manufacture, it can be traced back to before WW2. It is also quite powerful as well.
    I think you are right about the sight-base, the Tru-Glo elements are also a great help,as is the trigger.Everything blends together and works a treat,and it`s a decent enough alternative to a HW45 (except you can easily change calibers ,by swapping barrels on the HW45,however with the P5, you are stuck with 0.177 ).

Take care

Kenny.

Very nice shooting with the Bisley's mate! Are they rebadged pellets?
    My LP5 magnum shoots well with JSB Exact. 'That's what most recommended for it on the Diana Collective.
    They áre nice pistols aren't they? I dó feel the grip is a bit sharp and it's too big for me. But they don't twang and have no cockinglinkplay. Also, trigger is pretty nice. Aims well too, with those tru glows.
    It's too heavy for onehanded shooting imo.
    It hás some weakpoints they say; frontsightshroud coming loose, and the safety breaking and gripscrews coming loose.
    ATB,
    yana

MojoCrow is offline It rubs the lotion on the anarchist ginger tom.....
    I've sold a few of these pistols; two of them to the same customer!. He swears by H&N pointed pellets in .177 & .22 for this pistol design.

I like the looks of it despite the number of customers saying that it looks like a sawn-off rifle (the phillistines). Just imagine how it would perform tuned. (mmmmm tuned action gggggrrrrrllllghhh )
    Customised AA S400 Carbine
    Ros beef, go home! www.buxtedshootingclub.co.uk SiHFT winners 2008 2009 2010

bigglesworth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Very nice shooting with the Bisley's mate! Are they rebadged pellets?
    My LP5 magnum shoots well with JSB Exact. 'That's what most recommended for it on the Diana Collective.
    They áre nice pistols aren't they? I dó feel the grip is a bit sharp and it's too big for me. But they don't twang and have no cockinglinkplay. Also, trigger is pretty nice. Aims well too, with those tru glows.
    It's too heavy for onehanded shooting imo.
    It hás some weakpoints they say; frontsightshroud coming loose, and the safety breaking and gripscrews coming loose.
    I just used a tin of Bisleys that were in my CP99`s case, I find they go well in both my co2 pistols.I`ve also secured a long-term loan of an Original No4 pistol,so when I get that (hopefully next week), we`ll see how that goes.

This P5 Magnum, has really renewed my interest in pistols,I can`t recommend it highly enough!

Happy happy ,joy joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hiya matey

can you pm me where you got it from? I've been looking for a while but can't find anyone who sells them

cheers

russ

diana mod5

Hi, just bought an original model 5 which I believe is the same pistol ?
    problem is where do you get parts checked chambers -no ,does john knibbs still do old airgun parts ,I need front and rear sights probually cost more than the gun .
    Also I see that you did a review of the hatsan mod.60s rifle ,can I ask who is the dealers for them in uk ?
    Brian

bigglesworth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Hi, just bought an original model 5 which I believe is the same pistol ?
    problem is where do you get parts checked chambers -no ,does john knibbs still do old airgun parts ,I need front and rear sights probually cost more than the gun .
    Also I see that you did a review of the hatsan mod.60s rifle ,can I ask who is the dealers for them in uk ?
    Brian
    Hello Brian, I don`t know how similar my P5 is to your Original Mod.5, but John Knibbs should have what you want (he got me a leather breach seal for my 1938 Diana).Also Hatsan`s are brought in by Edgar Bros, phone 01625 613177.for your nearest stockist.

Take care

Kenny.

bigglesworth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rg627 View Post
    hiya matey

can you pm me where you got it from? I've been looking for a while but can't find anyone who sells them

cheers

russ

PM sent to you, Russ.

Kenny

hatsan

Hi Kenny ,
    thats great didnt know if john knibbs was still going ,there was talk of him selling up .
    On the Hatsan I will phone them tomorrow see if they got a dealer in my area ,are you still pleased with it ?
    many thanks
    Brian

bigglesworth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Hi Kenny ,
    thats great didnt know if john knibbs was still going ,there was talk of him selling up .
    On the Hatsan I will phone them tomorrow see if they got a dealer in my area ,are you still pleased with it ?
    many thanks
    Brian
    Brian , the Hatsan is still shooting well, it`s no Weihrauch , but you get a lot for your £100!.Also they do a nice black synthetic stock version (the Mod.75, I think) both Models can be had in 0.177 too!.

Take care

Kenny.