Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol HFT

Pistol Targets

Interesting to see modified Nockovers being used for pistol comps. I don't suppose many clubs still have any old Airmasters KnokDown targets, but these are ideal for pistols, as they require very little energy to operate the mechanism. The down side is that they need regular adjustment.

Years ago, Highwood FAWC ran club-level Silhouette Pistol comps using double-size US-style silhouettes made specially for us by Derek Peckover. The chickens went out at 10 metres, pigs at 15 metres, turkeys at 20 metres and rams at 25 metres. Further rams were placed at 30, 35 and 40 metres as eliminators. Having initially set out courses using standard field targets, I found this type of silhouette comp very enjoyable. It's all very well shooting field targets overarm with large PCP pistols such as the PP1 and Titans, but I feel pistol comps should always be accessible to people shooting basic kit, like the Nemesis, HW40, Gamo, etc.
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

jinx is offline Southern Hunter Champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    Interesting to see modified Nockovers being used for pistol comps. I don't suppose many clubs still have any old Airmasters KnokDown targets, but these are ideal for pistols, as they require very little energy to operate the mechanism. The down side is that they need regular adjustment.

Years ago, Highwood FAWC ran club-level Silhouette Pistol comps using double-size US-style silhouettes made specially for us by Derek Peckover. The chickens went out at 10 metres, pigs at 15 metres, turkeys at 20 metres and rams at 25 metres. Further rams were placed at 30, 35 and 40 metres as eliminators. Having initially set out courses using standard field targets, I found this type of silhouette comp very enjoyable. It's all very well shooting field targets overarm with large PCP pistols such as the PP1 and Titans, but I feel pistol comps should always be accessible to people shooting basic kit, like the Nemesis, HW40, Gamo, etc.
    All the targets we have for the pistol comp at Shepreth have been made from scratch by percypepper (colin sykes) and myself (we have a plasma cutter to play with ). They are a knockover design but are able to be shot with as little as 1.5ft/lbs, making the comp accessable to lower powered pistols. Standard targets require 130 - 150grams pull weight whereas ours need ony 30 -50grams. One of our lads killed a 25 yarder with a open sighted Webley Nemesis on sunday