Thread: Fixed Parallax @ 35 yard Scopes?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fixed Parallax @ 35 yard Scopes?

Hi

I've always had adjustable parallax scopes but am thinking of going for a fixed one to possibly save faffing about when I'm in a hurry for a shot on a squizzer.

How do they work? Is everything crystal clear up to to 35 yards and beyond that blurry or is everything blurry except anything at 35 yards?

Cheers for any replies!

My 35 yard parallaxed scope tends to be blurry at extreme close range, sorta unusable at under 5, acceptable at about 8 yards, pretty decent at 15, then increasingly clear up to 35, then after that, almost as clear out to Fort Mudge and beyond.

There's some houses 1/4 mile away across a field from my place, and even those are in pretty good focus.
    However, my eyes are young eyes, so mine can do a lot of extra focusing work that older eyes might not be able to.

Gary C Guest
    What faff will you save?

Fixed PA will be either pa at 100 - which will usually be blurred below 20, or fixed at airgun ranges which mean blurred further out.

You are far better in your case having a front PA scope and leaving it PA at 25 yards for the squirrels, if you don't touch it the PA is fixed

You have always the option then of bringing it in for rats and out for stalking / observation.

We marketed a scope exactly for this purpose, the Cobra. This is being discontinued due to the popular demand for side P/A

Gary

How does that square with the Meopta 7x50 and Leup 3-9x40 on my desk both of which are fixed at 100 yards.

Both appear to be crystal clear from about 7 yards to infinity?

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Gary C Guest
    Hi Richard

A x7 will have a huge dof. I'd doubt that the Leup on x9 is clear to 7 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Hi Richard

A x7 will have a huge dof. I'd doubt that the Leup on x9 is clear to 7 yards.
    Ah I didnt actually look at the zoom ring.

7 yards is the gunroom to the bedroom window.

The Meopta as before has the windowframe and ret in pin sharp focus.

The Leup has both pin sharp at 6.5x (as marked) above that the ret is still sharp but the windowframe gets progressively more fuzzy.

Thats something I've never noticed before, however given they were both on centrefires thats not surprising

Every day is a schoolday.

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

"You are far better in your case having a front PA scope and leaving it PA at 25 yards for the squirrels, if you don't touch it the PA is fixed "

Thanks, that does make sense!

I spent the weekend fiddling with a new scope, messing about with parallax, magnification, focussing ring, illumination and got a bit exasperated with it all - started dreaming of just looking through a scope and shooting something!

Mine seems to be fine, except for really close distances.

However, when i soom mine in the x9 mag, it seems to blur in the middle

But thats probably 'cos it was a fairly cheap one
    CZ Silhouette 16" .22lr, Nikko Stirling 4-12 x 50 Scope
    S200 .22, one piece stock, 3-9 x 50 scope
    BSA meteor .22, an antique