Thread: HW 70, HW 75: neglected stepchildren?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Question HW 70, HW 75: neglected stepchildren?

The HW 40 (sold in the US as the Beeman P3) and the HW 45 (Beeman P1, here) get a lot of comments and reviews but I see scant mention of their models 70 and 75.

I wonder why?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    The HW 40 (sold in the US as the Beeman P3) and the HW 45 (Beeman P1, here) get a lot of comments and reviews but I see scant mention of their models 70 and 75.

I wonder why?

Jim
    Don't know much about the 75 but I had a sneaking desire for a 70 - didn't get a very positive response.

Buried in the thread below is some feedback on the 70 where it doesn't compare well with a BSA Scorpion

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258579

Regards

Richard
    http://www.ford-hft.org.uk
    You come into this world with nothing, go out in debt and you've made a profit

I think part of the problem with the HW75 is that it doesn' t fall neatly into any obvious category, being good quality, recoilless (apart from the hammer fall), potentially very accurate, and yet not an out-and-out target pistol. But, it's then too expensive to consider buying as "just" a plinker. And, it doesn't have the 45's big selling point, power.

I wonder if it was losing sales to the cheaper Gamo pistols, and also of course the Webley Nemesis, which prompted the development of the HW40?

By the way, I got one ten years ago - I still have it - when I joined a club and started shooting 10m pistol. I didn't like the club's Gamo Compact, but wanted something self contained (no CO2 or bottle to worry about). I bought the latest edition of either AG or AGW, to have a look at the adverts and get an idea of what was available, and there was an article on the HW75 which set me thinking about it.

Iain

I have a 45 and a 40 like to have a go with a 75 just to see what it handles like.As said previously it probally is a power issue for a pistol that looks like a 45 on steriods

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The HW70 is a very nice, very easy to use pistol which is extremely accurate considering it is a recoilling springer. Excellent trigger and nice clear sights.

It is not very powerful though and it does have a bit of a slippery grip, the latter can be cured fairly easily. I liked mine.

One of its great advantages is that it is a very quiet pistol, so you can use it on an indoor range in your apartment or house without the neighbours knowing. You cant do that with a pump-up, a single stroke pneumatic, a CO2 gun or a PCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    Don't know much about the 75 but I had a sneaking desire for a 70 - didn't get a very positive response.

Buried in the thread below is some feedback on the 70 where it doesn't compare well with a BSA Scorpion

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258579

Regards

Richard
    Yes, it didn't seem to get a good review here.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Iain K D View Post
    I think part of the problem with the HW75 is that it doesn' t fall neatly into any obvious category, being good quality, recoilless (apart from the hammer fall), potentially very accurate, and yet not an out-and-out target pistol. But, it's then too expensive to consider buying as "just" a plinker. And, it doesn't have the 45's big selling point, power.

Iain
    Reminds me of a cartridge revolver I owned once, a K-frame Smith .357 with small grips and a 2 1/2 inch barrel with - get this! - adjustable sights!

I called it my "either-neither" pistol: too heavy and bulky for its ostensibly intended purpose of concealed carry: too hard to hold and sight for accurate use: just an odd duck!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The HW70 is a very nice, very easy to use pistol which is extremely accurate considering it is a recoilling springer. Excellent trigger and nice clear sights.

It is not very powerful though and it does have a bit of a slippery grip, the latter can be cured fairly easily. I liked mine.

One of its great advantages is that it is a very quiet pistol, so you can use it on an indoor range in your apartment or house without the neighbours knowing. You cant do that with a pump-up, a single stroke pneumatic, a CO2 gun or a PCP.
    Hmm....you might be selling me on my next pistol purchase, mate.

Sounds as though it's a great all-around choice: other than probably not being as good of a choice as an HW 45 or an EB 22 for a quick kill on an attacking tin can!

Jim