Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wasp shooting

Picture Rocks, Confederate Territory of Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana cajones View Post
    I believe you left out the 'Jutes' and the term Celt for the indigenous population at the time of the Roman 'Conquest' was a misnomer the Romans didnt know who they were but they looked like the Celt's who they whopped in Germany so for ease lumped us together so I guess you'd better check the spelling on your suitcase,

Personally I'm 3rd generation East End ratbag being Franco-German on my mums side and jewish-English on my dads! Don't think the I pass the Clansman requirements!!!!
    Jutes were Danes (Jutland)... 'lumped in with the Saxons. Romans never invaded the north... or stayed anyway. 'Got their helmets handed to 'em. Hadrians wall was built to keep 'my' ancestors out. Celt comes from Greek: Keltoi... Barbarian.
    A round downrange cannot be recalled

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    Come on guys, lets get back to the fun stuff.
    INSECT ASSASSINATION
    'Day ain't over yet!

'Really hot here now... When it cools a little... they'll be out tho. (OR) I get 'n the pool 'n they'll be all over the place. I need a better BB gun.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    Jutes were Danes (Jutland)... 'lumped in with the Saxons. Romans never invaded the north... or stayed anyway. 'Got their helmets handed to 'em. Hadrians wall was built to keep 'my' ancestors out. Celt comes from Greek: Keltoi... Barbarian.
    Jutes and Danes the same difference as Celts and the then Romano-British tribes but before Hadrians Wall there was the Antonine Wall just outside Dundee!

To Paraphrase our Scottish dept at the Museum of London (yes we have one):

Many Roman forts have been identified in Scotland, and a number have been more or less explored. The most famous are Birrens on the Solway, the Roman Blatobulgium, and Newstead, Trimontium, on the Tweed. The excavations of Newstead, by the late Dr. James Curle in 1905 - 1910, formed a landmark in the history of classical archaeology in western Europe. The northmost permanent fort so far known is at Cardean near Meigle in Angus. Thence a line of marching camps extends northwards at least as far as the Spey.

The most important Roman work remaining in Scotland is the Antonine Wall. The frontier line betwixt Forth and Clyde was first marked out by Julius Agricola in the year A.D. 80. Some of his small entrenched posts have
    been identified. In AD. 142 or 143 the legate Lollius Urbicus, acting for the Emperor Antoninus Pius, laid out a permanent frontier on the Agricolan line. This consisted of a wall made of sods on a stone foundation, except
    in the eastern section, where the wall is of clay. In front was a ditch, deep and wide, and in the rear a military way. The garrison was disposed in some thirteen or more forts. The whole barrier is 37 miles long. It was held,
    but with at least two interruptions, till about the end of the second century.

The Scots (as with many cultures) have a miss-led belief that they were never conquered; the fact is they had very little to offer the Roman empire in the way of agriculture or minerals (as known of at that period) so where left to their own devices but still taxed and controlled...

Whats the above got to do with insect assassination?
    You lost me totally

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    Whats the above got to do with insect assassination?
    You lost me totally

Tony

Some would argue Christ off the cross... or with a post stump. All those 'Celtic Festivals' we have will now forthwith be called: 'Jute Jams' 'n 'Dane Doin's'! Willy Wallace had the right freakin' idea!

SCOTLAND FOREVER! ('Runnin' out to hoist the White cross of St. Andrew on my flagpole... !!!!!)

I picked up a bag of rubbish today, little did i realise it had a wasps nest in it, so i got stung in the face for my trouble, right between the eyes, so this weekend its my sole intention to assasinate wasps.
    BSA Scorpion 177. BSA Jaguar 1.5-6 x 44

Quote Originally Posted by blueboy2 View Post
    I picked up a bag of rubbish today, little did i realise it had a wasps nest in it, so i got stung in the face for my trouble, right between the eyes, so this weekend its my sole intention to assasinate wasps.
    There was a colony of wasps that'd made a home in the hollow beam over my gate. I shot a few but...

So... 'Waited 'til it got dark.... Wasps were watchin' TV or somethin'. 'Unloaded an entire bottle of Wasp/Hornet spray (Pssssshhhhht) down the end of the beam... 'Ran off. 'Next morning there were over 40 or these nasty things dead or dyin' around the gate. Unknown how many were croaked inside.

Wasp nest

Hey Sonorarebel
    How can you claim Scottish ancestory if you spend a bomb on wasp killer?
    Wait till it's dark then tip about a pint of petrol (gasoline) over the nest and walk away. All dead by morning from the fumes.
    For any Klansmen out there, wait 20 minutes the throw a lighted match on it.
    Or do it the sporting way with a water pistol.
    Target Bunny

'Cause...

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Hey Sonorarebel
    How can you claim Scottish ancestory if you spend a bomb on wasp killer?
    Wait till it's dark then tip about a pint of petrol (gasoline) over the nest and walk away. All dead by morning from the fumes.
    For any Klansmen out there, wait 20 minutes the throw a lighted match on it.
    Or do it the sporting way with a water pistol.
    Target Bunny
    This is the desert... Temps here go to 124 deg F on some days. The beam is about 10' up over my carport gate... attached to the roof. Not a good idea to have combustable fumes anywhere near la Casa mia.

Naval Engagement...

'So... I'm out in my floatie chair in the pool... 'Got a beer in the side pocket, a towel, lighter, cigs AND my trusty Crosman BB pistol with a full load 'n a new C02 ctg. on top of the towel 'longside the pool. WASP! Black one... he's creeepin' down the pools edge to get a drink... black wings flittin' now 'n then. 'GENERAL QUARTERS... Man yer battle stations'... I man the main battery 'n swing it around to bear on target... 'Range:... 12'... Bearing: 20 deg relative off the starboard bow. Mark! "FIRE!' (Paf!) 'P'ting'... Wasp in the water... Wasp in the water! Close with the enemy! I take it under fire on the port side... close range... 'point defense'. (Paf!-Sploosh!) Wasp wreckage floats in 2 directions. YAY!

This morning... vac the pool... Wasp shows up... Grab the Daisy next to the wall for squirrel de jour action. 'Paf!' 'zing'... Wasp takes it in the center... falls in pool (sploosh). 'Sac trailing from forward end... DEAD! 'Nuther one... (Paf!) 'zing'... 'takes off... ain't flyin' right... slow... Lands on nearby palm frond... 6'... (Paf!) Wasp goes into death spiral (thud).
    All this before 0800. (Temp is 90F)... Time to quit. It's 0855 now...

Correction... it's 101 F (in the shade). I expect more Wasps... stealin' my water. I thought the level dropped from evaporation... now I know... They're drinkin' it.
    Last edited by Sonora Rebel; 20-06-2008 at 05:24 PM.

Flameout

Hi Sonora Rebel
    I did say Night time.
    Besides, with temperatures like that it'll be all gone in ten minutes. But you're probably right.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Hi Sonora Rebel
    I did say Night time.
    Besides, with temperatures like that it'll be all gone in ten minutes. But you're probably right.
    Jim

This is why I don't reload my own ammo... 'Was an Ordnanceman in the Navy (Armorer). These temps are not safe for powders 'n primers either. I've got enuff ammo for any emergency tho... canned. Temps hit 100F before 0800 this time of the year.

Bug Splat

Sonora Rebel
    Since your the bug expert pass comment on this one.
    http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/BugSplat.jpg
    The PDF is on Targetbunny since the BB wont let me upload it (too big)
    JIm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

I just printed a copy. What's the minimum/suggested range reqirement?

Range

Hi Sonora Rebel
    Well the outer ring is a standard 56mm 10 metre air rifle target and the inner rings are 12mm so for rifle anywhere between 10 yards and 5 yards and for pistol, unless your Olympic standard, 15 down to 6 feet.
    I know you varmint at longer ranges so you should personaly be at the top end. I mean it's pointless without a challenge.
    Regards
    Jim
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!