Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much power for 10 metre paper targets?

how much power for 10 metre paper targets?

how much power in fps do you think is needed for 10 metre shooting?
    i've just got a tau brno b96 which works off the little co2 powerlets, it's nicely balanced, got a fantastic trigger and i'm well pleased with it .
    but when i shoot it's jumping a bit and looking at the dents in the backstop it's shooting more powerfully than my old pistol , the pellets are more mashed up aswell.
    i havn't chronographed it yet , but how much fps is needed , i don't intend to use it for anything but 10 metre paper targets?
    if it's overpowered which is causing the flip could it be turned down easily?
    your opinions will be appreciated
    cheers
    johno

Power isnt fps, its ft/lbs.

10 metre rifles are usually 6 ft/lbs

You'll need to do the maths to work out the fps required for your chosen pellet weight.

Re Power

hi mate i know what you mean but my chrono works in fps , it's an f1 chrony , then i work backwards with a chart i've got if you know what i mean
    john

but fps is meaningless without knowing your pellet weight

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    You could adjust the power down to about 400 fps (7.8 grain pellet) - 2.8 ft/lbs. Any less and you might lose accuracy because of the amount of time the pellet spends in the barrel.

weights

the weights are 7.35 gns , you've hit the nail on the head , what's the speed i should be looking for to reduce the flip , yet not be in the barrel any longer than needed
    john

FPS Grains ft/lbs
    300 7.35 1.47
    350 7.35 2
    400 7.35 2.61
    450 7.35 3.31
    500 7.35 4.08
    550 7.35 4.94
    600 7.35 5.88
    650 7.35 6.9
    700 7.35 8
    750 7.35 9.18
    800 7.35 10.45
    850 7.35 11.79
    900 7.35 13.22

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I think it is still 400 feet per second, which with these pellets is about 2.6 ft/lbs. The pistol weighs 2 lbs so the flip should be minimal, otherwise consider adding weight under the fore-end. With a 6" barrel the pellet will spend 1/800th of a second travelling through it, so you need to hold the sight picture and pistol still for 0.00125 of a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I think it is still 400 feet per second, which with these pellets is about 2.6 ft/lbs. The pistol weighs 2 lbs so the flip should be minimal, otherwise consider adding weight under the fore-end. With a 6" barrel the pellet will spend 1/800th of a second travelling through it, so you need to hold the sight picture and pistol still for 0.00125 of a second.
    I'd like to see him measure that.

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

power

i've moved the weight thing back along the bar toward the breech end rather than muzzle , that seems to help , but i still think it's more powerful than i need , i'm going to chrono it later and see
    john

Quote Originally Posted by johnyjohnjonno View Post
    i've moved the weight thing back along the bar toward the breech end rather than muzzle , that seems to help , but i still think it's more powerful than i need , i'm going to chrono it later and see
    john
    My Tau 7 had an adjuster to reduce the velocity. I think Pyramidair has a manual pdf you can download.

One of the cool things about the Tau is that it is powerful, and you can shoot the 20 and 25 meter rimfire targets with them and it's just as accurate.

Thumbs up tuning

another option would be to clamp the pistol in a vise;protected of course!
    and shoot groups at your required distance. adjust the power down until you get the best group without affecting your pistols operation.
    i had the same problem with my steyr lp50. make a note of how many screw turns you have made,so you can return it to its original setting;espesially if you want to shoot 20yds or 25m.
    this method can be used to tune your pistol to certain ammo,especially at the longer distance disiplines.
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Not quite correct as the pellet does not start moving at 400 fps, it accelerates up to 400 fps by the time it leaves the muzzle....so afraid you'll have to stand still a wee bit longer

Makes a refreshing change to find a thread about tuning the power down on a pistol....

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by eredel View Post
    Makes a refreshing change to find a thread about tuning the power down on a pistol....

I can't really answer the original question, but I understand the Daisy Avanti 747 gets only about 365 fps, and it seems to do quite well at 10 meter paper punching.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone