Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how much power for 10 metre paper targets?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    My Tau 7 had an adjuster to reduce the velocity. I think Pyramidair has a manual pdf you can download.

One of the cool things about the Tau is that it is powerful, and you can shoot the 20 and 25 meter rimfire targets with them and it's just as accurate.
    Hmm...interesting!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    I find the best way to get accuracy from my HW45 is use the 1st click when cocking it, the lower power position

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    Power isnt fps, its ft/lbs.
    Power isn’t ‘ft/lbs’ either. You may be thinking of Kinetic Energy the units of which are FtLbf (Foot-Pound-Force), sometimes written as Ft-Lbf or Ft.Lbf or (particularly in the USA) as FPE (Foot-Pound-Energy)
    i.e., a distance times a force.

Power, on the other hand, is the rate of change of energy with respect to time.

‘Ft/Lb’ makes no sense at all.

Clear as mud, eh?

HTH
    Dave
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry's Lad View Post
    Power isn’t ‘ft/lbs’ either. You may be thinking of Kinetic Energy the units of which are FtLbf (Foot-Pound-Force), sometimes written as Ft-Lbf or Ft.Lbf or (particularly in the USA) as FPE (Foot-Pound-Energy)
    i.e., a distance times a force.

Power, on the other hand, is the rate of change of energy with respect to time.

‘Ft/Lb’ makes no sense at all.

Clear as mud, eh?

HTH
    Dave
    But "Units of power: The foot-pound force per minute (ft·lbf/min), foot-pound force per second (ft·lbf/s), and horsepower are units of power derived from the foot-pound force"

And more importantly its taken as the defacto measurement on the BBS and gun manufacturer's literature

But "Units of power: The foot-pound force per minute (ft·lbf/min), foot-pound force per second (ft·lbf/s), and horsepower are units of power derived from the foot-pound force"
    Yes, that’s correct. That’s what I said in the previous post – Power is the rate of change of energy with respect to time. You were referring to ‘Power’ when you meant ‘Energy’.

And more importantly its taken as the defacto measurement on the BBS and gun manufacturer's literature
    Not by me it isn’t. Show me where it says that we have to use the wrong units. Please refer me to this manufacturer’s literature.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    I find the best way to get accuracy from my HW45 is use the 1st click when cocking it, the lower power position
    Take note of the above.

The "correct" amount of power in target shooting is the minimum amount required to consistently put a neat hole, on the point of aim, in the target at the range that the comp requires.

When we used to shoot PP1 and Service Pistol B comps with real PPC pistols we would reload our revolver ammo to be just powerful enough to punch the neat round .38 wadcutter hole at 25m. While developing these we would worry about a load that was too light and would end up in a wadcutter stuck in the barrel.

In target shooting it is not about power, it is about accuracy, anything which adversely effects accuracy is to be avoided. So if you can turn down the power and still remain on target then I would do it.

Oh and thanks again Paddy for a great comp.

Pete
    Plot ?... What Plot ?... I thought you had it !!
    Good Deals with Good Folks