Thread: BSA METEOR MK1 Rear sight

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...

BSA METEOR MK1 Rear sight

Hello folks,

Roight, I aint a collector (not of the more stately airguns anyway) on the grounds of space....and I only have 1 house...however

I have an old friend who is kind enough to let me shoot his rabbits.

Currently, he has just undergone surgery on his foot and is stuck looking out of the kitchen window all day getting bored (He is retired, but usually bowls as well as taking the odd pot shots at squirrels....I have been trying to deter him but..).

He has an old BSA Meteor which, after a bit of research, apperas to be a Mk1 standard.

serial number T38187, in .22.

Anyway, I have always taken the pee as it has no rear sight element, just a channel with the front end closed off (U shaped) and a pin running through the front.

This assembly appears to be fitted on a dove tail, but there is no sight as such.

I threatened to fit a spare scope I have here, but then found it needs specific mounts. I am happy to provide a scope (I have a couple spare) but I dont have spare mounts.

The dilema is.

Having checked chambers, none of the diagrams they have seem to fit the bill, and where a rear sight unit is specified, it was obselete.

Would it be possible to get hold of the parts? or would it just make sense to get some mounts and bung a scope on it in any event?

Either way, it currently has no sighting system.

I have just gone through it and removed a ton of dry grease dust and crap, re oild them bits that likes oil, removed soem disturbing burrs, given the piston and cylinder a bit or a polish, and re greased the spring.

It is like a new rifle allready, and the twang has gone....which was nice as it was not over greased....just drier than a Taliban flip flop

Can anyone help, or know anyone that can?

It would be nice to know if the parts can be had, before I suggest getting mounts.

Cheers

Chris B
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Chris.....this is a Haenel, but the sight design is along the same lines;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7624218336819/

There was on yours a strip of metal with the back bent up at 90 degrees (this is where the sighting vee was)....it had a depression in line with the bar in your sight base to position it, (it fitted under the bar) and a little spring at the front to push it up....there was a sliding bar on the strip to adjust the elevation....unfortunately these are often missing on these mark 1's, but they do turn up either secondhand or on fleabay from time to time.....my memory is playing me up, but I think your "tray" has a dovetail, and if so you can knock out the "tray" and a BSA rimmy rear sight will fit...I may be wrong and if so hopefully some can correct this. Now these rimmy sights are common, and you could look at fleabay number;

The scope mounts as you say are a different size, but I am also sure I have read on here that someone makes something?

I have one complete i was going to advertise £30 posted . If you are interested i can email a photo .

Thanks guys.

If it was my gun I would buy the rear sight, but I am not sure Dave is overly worried.

I have a tasco golden antler he can fit as long as we can find mounts, but I will as him how much he wants the rear sight sorting, so the effort was not wasted.

Cheers again.

CB

sight

No problem now i have dug it out of the box of bits i may get round to advertising some of it

Mk1 Meteor Scope mounts.

Good evening Parabuteo.

For your information the mounts you need for the Mk1 Meteor are Sportsmatch TO49. The width is 15mm.

Michael Tawn has about three pairs left at £20.00p a pair plus £2.99p P&P.

One of the mounts has an arrester pin which has to be removed before fitting to the Meteor.

The mounts fit a 1 inch scope body.

Hope this helps. Regards. Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman View Post
    Good evening Parabuteo.

For your information the mounts you need for the Mk1 Meteor are Sportsmatch TO49. The width is 15mm.

Michael Tawn has about three pairs left at £20.00p a pair plus £2.99p P&P.

One of the mounts has an arrester pin which has to be removed before fitting to the Meteor.

The mounts fit a 1 inch scope body.

Hope this helps. Regards. Dave.
    Cheers Dave, I hope you are wrong as Mike has just sent me a TO48 saying it is what is suggested by BSA...typo I guess/hope, otherwise it sounds exactly like what I have ordered.

Actually, the little beast is surprisingly accurate even without a rear sight...ok, its only 6 yards but still a single hole with some crappy old wasps.

Pity the stock is a bit beaten, but not a wreck

Mk1 Meteor Mounts

Hi Parabuteo.

I must start wearing my glasses. I have just checked the card of the mounts I bought and Mike is right, It is TO48 Sportsmatch.

Sorry for giving you the wrong information.

You are right about the Mk1s being accurate. They are my favourite Air Rifle.

I have seven but I think I will soon be selling one and just keeping half a dozen.

All the best.

Dave.