Thread: identification

Exclamation identification

With every day that passes some one asks for help in identification of an air rifle/pistol.
    So if we were to confine the search to the two British makers Webley and BSA some one must have a printable list of identification letters and number for all rifles/pistols this could be kept by us all to be used as a point of refrence. If some has this list then lets get it on the forum so that we can all use it. Or am I asking to much.
    Howard5760

Quote Originally Posted by howard5760 View Post
    With every day that passes some one asks for help in identification of an air rifle/pistol.
    So if we were to confine the search to the two British makers Webley and BSA some one must have a printable list of identification letters and number for all rifles/pistols this could be kept by us all to be used as a point of refrence. If some has this list then lets get it on the forum so that we can all use it. Or am I asking to much.
    Howard5760
    yes but its also nice to talk to people (on here) and ask these questions ,if we all had a list of everything we needed to know there would be no need for this sectionthenwhat would you do when its raining

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    yes but its also nice to talk to people (on here) and ask these questions ,if we all had a list of everything we needed to know there would be no need for this sectionthenwhat would you do when its raining
    I'll agree with that!! Same reason why I don't "do a search" every time!!

Dave

Identification

well you allways know when its time to give up, sorry I upset you lads may the forum live. Howard

well you allways know when its time to give up, sorry I upset you lads may the forum live. Howard
    you have upset no one mate this isnt that section we are all buddies here

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    Quite! But more to the point, which sucker would have to do all the typing! That's before you get down to the nitty gritty of details like copyright. Much of the information that people have is either from copyrighted sources or not public domain. Ocassionally some of the references aren't even 100% accurate (nor can they be on occasion) or different sources are contradictory.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Smile

Howard5760
    I'm guilty of asking you all to identify a gun for me tonight, yes it's probably been asked hundreds of times before but I didn’t know, some kind people answered my question and I'm very grateful. I never tire of answering questions that I have knowledge of, only too pleased to help.
    When someone post’s a joke that’s been around since time began, it will be new to someone, that’s what forums are all about.

Rob....pleased to help if I can.
    Last edited by Bovrill; 21-06-2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Typo
    Too old to die young, too young to die.

As Chris has rightly said, copyright is one of the main reasons such information can't be published wholesale.
    Dates for BSA products are generally quoted from John Knibbs books, whilst Webley dates can be from several written sources.
    There are some on here with encyclopedic memories, but most of us have to use reference material of one sort or another, either published or self collated.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    There are some on here with encyclopedic memories.
    As Chris has rightly said.
    Who are you? and more to the point who's Chris?
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Sorry Fred.

Sorry Fred.
    It's OK, I checked in my reference book and realised that I was Chris. There was some confusion over who you were though. One book said you didn't actually exist!
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Think those with books like answering the questions, like we say we're all friendly in the collectibles section.
    Besides it would be breach of copyright - just thought I'd mention it.
    OMS Raider
    "Don't knock; drive through the front door, and keep firing!"