Thread: Greener air rifle

Greener air rifle

Ever since reading about these in Wesley's book as a 10 year old, I have had a curiosity about them, but have never seen one, have never met anyone who owns one etc etc.

Anyone have one, or have any other info on them, by any chance?

Cheers
    Paul

Hi there,

I too am very interested in the Greener Air Rifle. An Iconic design, and a very sought after gun for us Pre-war collectors. I have handled one but never fired one. they seem to be un-common, and reassuringly expensive when they are encountered. I have found two in gun shops over the years. the first was up for sale in a now defunct sports shop in exeter. That was up for £480 from what I can remember (1990ish) and then I heard of another one up for sale in Chitchester Armoury at £695 - a couple of years or so ago.

The Blue Book (4th) edition

" Available in .177 and .22.Usually distinguished by a large cam lever on the LHS forward end of the compression tube, this lever swings forward to cause the barrel to move forward of the breach block for opening and loading the breach.,moving it back cams the barrel tightly shut.Buttstock similar to BSA designs with a top ridge for the shooting hand's web. No wood forward of the trigger. 42 inch OAL. 7.5 lbs in weight. Manufactured 1934 to 1960's."

I know from the one I saw that there is a stud or pip on the transfer port which seats the pellet into the breech when the barrel is locked back by the lever. The stock has more of a regular pistol grip that the BSA stocks of the period. Tim Saunders did an article in one of the airgun magazines a few years ago about the greener air rifle , and then subsequently sold the same gun for £395 so I heard...?

As usual with all these rare guns - they are worth as much as someone is prepared to pay. I feel that £695 is top end for one. but as the saying goes - "If you think mines expensive - Show me another one for sale!"

All in all a great gun - and one I wouldnt mind in my collection

Lakey

Maskels guns of Farnborough are selling one. It would have been a minter but someone has cracked the stock. Price wise it is around £800.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Maskels guns of Farnborough are selling one. It would have been a minter but someone has cracked the stock. Price wise it is around £800.
    £800 - Bl**dy Hell that is a pretty high price for one with a cracked stock !!

Please let me know if you ever do find one- it would be interesting to see some pix. Will do likewise.