Thread: Does an AirSoft pistol tuned above 1 Joule become an Air Pistol?

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy

Does an AirSoft pistol tuned above 1 Joule become an Air Pistol?

Had an interesting chat about Real Action Markers in a gun shop recently and they have been re-classified as air pistols / air rifles because they are above the 1 Joule muzzle energy threshold that forces Air Soft into the 'Realistic Replica Firearms' category.

This means RAM pistols and Rifles are classed as Airguns and subject to different rules.

Is this the same for Air Soft if they produce over 1 Joule ME too? I suspect that it may be, and could open up a new avenue for 'powerful' AirSoft guns, if 0.75fpe can be described as powerful, allowing them to be used by non-skirmishers and to be sold to BBS users?

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Believe it is. I have seen RFDs selling them freely due to being over 1ft/lb. The RAMS are indeed airguns too.
    Many GBB airsofts exceed that power in my experience or can be easily tuned to it.

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    That's good news for the Iron Plate shooters that use that sort of kit

I had thought about giving it a go but most CO2 air pistils don't have the high mag capacity for speed shooting which is probably why they use higher power AirSoft.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.