Thread: Sights...

Sights...

So I set up some paper targets at the weekend in the garden and shot off a couple of dozen pellets with the HW45. The target was about 20ft away and I had mixed results and don't know if it's my shooting skills or whether my sights are aligned correctly!

How do you calibrate the sights? Also, anyone got any links online to show you standing positions and how to best hold the gun to keep it steady?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by ch70 View Post
    So I set up some paper targets at the weekend in the garden and shot off a couple of dozen pellets with the HW45. The target was about 20ft away and I had mixed results and don't know if it's my shooting skills or whether my sights are aligned correctly!

How do you calibrate the sights? Also, anyone got any links online to show you standing positions and how to best hold the gun to keep it steady?

Cheers.
    One tip I learned from the target boys...I set my sights so that when I aim at the bottom of the black ring I hit centre of the target...nothing worse than trying to line up black rearsight, black foresight, black target...
    When you're plinking on fun targets...you'll get use to allowing that distance with hold-under.
    Now my FN6 with red dot...got that set for dot on target at 15 yards...deadly!!!
    Eric.

Btw...if you set up your sights with a springer rested...free hand it'll be different...well that's what I found...takes more than a couple of dozen pellets to get the feel...it'll come with practice....
    Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by ch70 View Post

Cheers.

if the films are to be believed, shoot one handed, gun canted 90 degree's and call it a 'piece' at all times.

you'll hit anything if these simple rules are followed

Quote Originally Posted by jax13 View Post
    if the films are to be believed, shoot one handed, gun canted 90 degree's and call it a 'piece' at all times.

you'll hit anything if these simple rules are followed

Lol!!!....

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by eredel View Post
    One tip I learned from the target boys...I set my sights so that when I aim at the bottom of the black ring I hit centre of the target...nothing worse than trying to line up black rearsight, black foresight, black target...

Eric.
    "6 o'clock hold", the target boys call it.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

you'll hit anything if these simple rules are followed[/QUOTE]

You'll hit EVERYTHING! Of course, almost everything you hit will be something other than what you're aiming at.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Could I offer my two cents worth of advise? Maybe you're concentrating too much on the sights and not aware of your grip. As it's not a cartridge gun you only need a light hold. Imagine you're holding a light hammer to drive in a tack. That's all that's needed. This will allow the pistol to recoil more freely and give you more constant shots. Once they start grouping well you can then change the sights if necessary. If you're an ol' boy (like some of us on here) you might get better results with a Red Dot sight. Good luck and happy plinking.

Oh, one more thing, try using the first pad of your finger and not the first joint to pull the trigger

=
    Last edited by Phil G; 23-06-2008 at 05:42 AM.

There is a good US military guide to target pistol shooting that has been linked to on this BBS before.

Ah.. Here it is. Original link by Hsing-ee.

A lot of good advice in there, well worth the read.

Pete
    Plot ?... What Plot ?... I thought you had it !!
    Good Deals with Good Folks

hi there ,good video here,its a 9mm beretta (or is it a colt)there shooting but , thet show you the proper way to grip etc the guy is outstanding at shooting

atb jamie

hope this helps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Quote Originally Posted by jax13 View Post
    My lad does it like this with my PPK and he hits the target eveytime....But if he starts tailking like a "gansta" I'll slap his arse..

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Thanks all, will look at those sites and see how I get one

Quote Originally Posted by thaijamie View Post
    hi there ,good video here,its a 9mm beretta (or is it a colt)there shooting but , thet show you the proper way to grip etc the guy is outstanding at shooting

atb jamie

hope this helps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48
    Good vid, thanks for that.

Zeroing pistol

Have a look at http://www.targetbunny.btik.com/p_Handgun.ikml and download the pistol correction target.
    Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!