Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Real pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Yes, I have fired cartridge pistols: .22, .38 Special, 9mm, .45. I like revolvers; don't like or trust automatics very much.

I prefer air pistols to cartridge, for pure shooting fun: little in the way of legal restriction, recoil, noise, penetration or cleaning, and you don't have to make a special trip somewhere to shoot them.

Jim
    Revolvers do jam, the difference between a pistol and revolver jamming is that you can clear the pistol, revolver not. Ever had a primer get pushed back from the shell with factory ammo? I have

One of your compatriots, jeffk, moved to Australia a while back and two weekends ago lent me his new Glock 9mm for a blast. Whoooeee!

I have a couple of Gamo air pistols on a collectors license - I can't use them and its as hard to get them licensed as the 9mm. Also have a broomhandle, not allowed to use it either.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_colt View Post
    Though I'm thinking of visiting either the IOM or Jersey at some point in the next few years. Though I'm not sure if there is any pistol-shooting available to visitors on Jersey (anyone have experience here?)

mr_colt.
    Can't speak for Jersey. I've shot pistol on my visits to the IoM. I go for the easter shooting open (although I compte in rifle), so it was a matter of having a blat at the end of the day when the pistol comps were over. They have club pistols, so if you shoot AP here, and want to go try your hand at live pistol, they'll lend you guns for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodie View Post
    The 1911 and Hi Power are great pistols, the only downside to them is that you have to spend additional money on them to customise them. Hi power has mag safety,thats needs to be removed, you will need to changed sights to high profile, trigger pull and creep is awful, extended slide release and extended stafety. The same applies to 1911 except for mag safety.
    The Browning mag safety is a 2 minute job to take out or put back. I used to use mine for service pistol so everything else had to be standard. I Had a beavertail grip safety on the 1911, and extended safety, slide release and mag button. All the extended bits were actually standard bits with extensions brazed on then filed down to suit.

A mate did the mag button first but it was too long....... dead easy to accidentally drop the mag in the middle of a string so I filed it down till I could just press it without changing my grip on the gun. I was so pleased with that I bought a little brazing kit and did my own safety and slide release.

A lot of the custom stuff for 45s was relatively easy. It was possible to open the mag well out with a file and emery paper and I spent hours with rag wrapped round a dowel polishing the feed ramp with cutting compound and eventually T cut.

The biggest expense for practical was magazines. John Longstaff used to import some cheapies but they weren't very good. The best were Devel mags, they wer standard length but somehow they managed to squeeze an extra round in them........ 8 for the price of 7.

Revolvers do jam, the difference between a pistol and revolver jamming is that you can clear the pistol, revolver not. Ever had a primer get pushed back from the shell with factory ammo? I have
    I'll tell you a funny story from my days at P.H. We were the S&W importers and I had a customer send a revolver back. It was the .38 spl target masterpiece (Mod 17??? from memory)

He said it was absolutely useless. On his first visit to the range after buying the pistol, his first 7 shots had completely failed to hit the target. I returned it to him having knocked 7 wadcutters out of the barrel and suggested he try a bit more powder.

Incidentally the bore was perfect.

For the benefit of those who don't remember the "good old days" most pistol shooters used to re-load (re-manufacture) their own ammo, by casting lead bullets and re-using the cartridge cases. This guy had been trying to load a light target load but in fact it was too light and the bullet didn't leave the barrel. Obviously with the barrel blocked the next 6 didn't either.
    Last edited by markH; 28-06-2008 at 11:41 PM. Reason: explaination

Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post

A lot of the custom stuff for 45s was relatively easy. It was possible to open the mag well out with a file and emery paper and I spent hours with rag wrapped round a dowel polishing the feed ramp with cutting compound and eventually T cut.

I agree, the mag well can save alot of time of the clock, 1/10 of a second which adds up quickly per mag change.Unlike compeititions, I always reload with the gun in my face so my head is never down like in ispc, even though it costs me time, I rather not do that in the street.

I hate the Glock, and its only time before they go bust imo. They only produce pistols and knives, some accesories, and mark my words,Glaston Glock will be sold in the near future. They have in fact just done a deal with the GNR (Police) and the PSP(the police who watches the police) to replace their p-38 to glock 17 which has a modified slide release.

the only thing I like about the glock, is the ergonomics. Watch Glock Torture by Magills, it doesn't like sand, a hole was dug 30 cm deep, glock put in and covered up with dry sand. It jamed over and over again.

http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/50..._val%3Dtorture

A gun you can abuse and abuse I mean abuse, is no doubt the beretta 92,Taurus (copy of Beretta), Hi Power,1911 and star model 30

Glock does have the least amount of parts in a pistol, totally is 17 which is impressive.
    I'm no fan either really, the .45ACP models aren't exactly a comfortable fit in ones hand but if there's one thing Glocks are it's reliable.
    There is a reason why they are so widely adopted and that is they do a good job. If the company went bust I'd be surprised, they aren't low on custom.

Glock knives are very poor BTW, do avoid them if possible.

Glocks is like marmite, you either love them or hate them.I do think that glock will be bought out by someone or partnership formed to increase their range of products.Yes they are reliable, but need to be kept clean like most weopons.

It is also interesting to note that Paul Castle cracked his glock slide performing CAR technique as well as many others.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Yes they do! I've had the cylinder of a lightweight .38 snubbie jam shut on me after firing a hot cartridge in it. I had to take it to a gunsmith, who told me that the pistol's weight was insufficient to absorb the recoil, causing the bullet to break its crimp in the cartridge casing and protrude forward, locking the cylinder.

I've also had a revolver cylinder refuse to rotate when I purposely went several hundred (dirty reload) rounds without cleaning it, just an an experiment.

But such extreme situations aside, revolvers are still a lot more reliable than autoloaders.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post

But such extreme situations aside, revolvers are still a lot more reliable than autoloaders.

Jim
    Too true and usually quicker to clear than auto's. With their broken extractors, dirty feed ramps and unreliable mags to mention a few. Good ol' wheel gun every time

=

[QUOTE

Jim[/QUOTE]

Each for their own,but I would like to see someone beat Todd Jarret's 1000 round test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7wL2QuFTLQ

Watch part 1, 2 and 3

[QUOTE

Jim

Each for their own,but I would like to see someone beat Todd Jarret's 1000 round test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7wL2QuFTLQ

Watch part 1, 2 and 3[/QUOTE]

Great bit of YouTube. Just an observation though. Why did he run the mags dry? If he'd kept one up the barrel on the reload he might have trimmed those few seconds off to get a sub 10mins. And those reloaders slow old gits

=

To make sure the slide locked back on a empty mag, thats all. Todd is the King in ISPC. He was lazy though, as Blackhawk, now Para http://www.para-usa.com/new/why_jarrett.php
    teaches you to not use the slide release though,but pull the slide back and let it run forward.

I miss my Glock 23, I bought it in '91 and sold it in 2001. In the ten years it rode at my side it performed flawlessly. I've shot all kinds of pistol, colt, browning, star, astra, tokarev, FEG, CZ, Walther, beretta, taurus , SIG, ruger, S&W. the only handgun I would think of swapping the Glock with was the Steyr M.
    When you carry a pistol everyday and work as an electrician in the African heat it's got to be compact, powerful, reliable and accurate.

That said I once used a beretta model 71 in 22lr to get myself out of a sticky situation. As luck would have it my Glock was away having tritium beads installed...