Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Real pistols

Here in the Uk, I'd really like a bull barrel Ruger model II .22 pistol. Maybe one day the rules will change on .22 target pistols...
    Last edited by Haggis; 30-06-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Here in the Uk, I'd really like a bull barrel Ruger model II .22 pistol. Maybe one day the rules will change on .22 target pistols...
    The fully suppressed model is a fun toy but I think myself the Buckmark is of better construct. Buckmark LBPs are available here as quite a few were converted from the carbine model.

We may see single shot .22LRs back at most but I would be extremely surprised if it did come to pass. One of the top responses to athletes getting them on temporary license was ("it's a risk to public safety"), so I doubt us mere mortals would be allowed to handle one. We'll be lucky if the 2012 pistol comps aren't held behind bullet-proof glass with optional blindfolds and earplugs to protect more timid spectators from the fear and evil emanating from the unwieldy lumps of target pistols.

Well maybe by 2012 we'll have a government that don't want to wrap us in cotton wool.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Well maybe by 2012 we'll have a government that don't want to wrap us in cotton wool.
    David Cameron at any rate has stated he will not revoke the ban, and I would conjecture He will still be PM in 2012.

i doubt

you will ever see the likes of pre 97 pistols ever again in this country, but hey it still seems they are on sale at a local near you.

FA handguns are legal here so I've shot many. From my fast recollection:
    My own Taurus PT99 9mm. Very accurate for a 9mm!
    CZ75
    My own Browning HiPower; fits like a glove. Scares bowlingpins out to 25yrds!
    Beretta 92 9mm
    Glock 9mm don't like it, feels like tupperware..
    Springfield 1911 .45 failure sensitive..
    S&W revolver .38/.357
    Ruger GP100 revolver
    Colt King Cobra revolver (sensitive to cilinder timing problems)
    CZ SP01 .40S&W very good shooter!
    Baby browning, I believe 7.62 or 6.35
    A S&W with long barrel and in weird calibre..can't recollect what it was..
    Soon: Desert Eagle .44 magnum
    And for .22:
    FN Medaillist (very good shooter), Hi Standard Victor (great pistol but failure sensitive), S&W .22 revolver, Taurus .22 revolver, Browning Buckmark (reliable good shooters), my own Buckmark Varmint (10" barrel), Hammerli match (don't like lightweight and trigger)..
    I like 9mm better than .45 but that's personal. The 9mm recoils faster, the .45 recoil more bút calmly. Nothing scary about .357 magnum either, doesn't recoil more than 9mm...38 is very easy to shoot.

My Tempest is the only airpistol than feels anything néar a .22 FA. Great little pistol, the Tempest!
    ATB,
    yana

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    You're right about the High Standard Victor, my father had one. A classic "jam-o-matic".

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Nothing like the bang of a .44 But airguns are a lot cheaper to shoot and you can do it in the garden/house! Still if i could would buy a double stack STi in a heart beat

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Heck, this is an old thread to drag up
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Cough! Cough!
    Crikey, who stirred up that dust cloud.
    Cough, hack, cough!
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by Major-Colt View Post
    Nothing like the bang of a .44 But airguns are a lot cheaper to shoot and you can do it in the garden/house! Still if i could would buy a double stack STi in a heart beat
    Air pistols are more fun, cheaper to shoot, less of a hassle to own and shoot, much quieter. don't require ear protectors, no recoil...but I still enjoy the occasional go with a .22 rimfire or a centerfire pistol.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

To add to this ancient thread, I finally got round to trying some centrefire pistols. Turns out a US colleague's stepdad works in a gun shop, so he gave me free access to the range and loaned me a pair of guns and a few boxes of ammo.

I shot a Raven Arms .25 ACP http://jtjersey.com/Raven/raven.htm and also a Beretta Mod 92FS 9mm.

I had a great time! The Raven was a little small in the hand but shot well, and the Beretta felt very good. I didn't do too badly either, if we were allowed these over here I would have one... or two!

I hope to try a few more types in my travels next time

Glad you enjoyed shooting the little Raven! Never fired one, but I hear they were very reliable. Did yours function well?

.25 automatics used to be very popular in the US, although they were "frequently bought, but seldom shot." They're not so common today, since a lot of companies, like KelTec, are turning out double-action-only .32 and .380 automatics that are just a tad bigger and heavier than the old .25's.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 16-02-2010 at 06:05 PM.

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    I think we should have a UBC meet in Texas.

Yes, the Raven worked fine. Usually his wife/ my friends Mum has that gun, typical purse sized weapon that it is. Some web sites comment that gun had some poor reliability, perhaps the odd one or more turned out bad. They were very cheap even new.

I shot that first then moved "up" to the 9mm, but then went back and forth between the two guns as I found myself tuning in somewhat.

I had standard 6" diameter paper targets out to 30 feet, and kept the shots within the target right from the start, even got a few groups with holes touching after a while. However, although I did shoot out the bullseye a few times, the majority landed slightly low and left, which suggest too much trigger pressure.

So, my one and only session was hugely entertaining, and I want to go again!