I'm after some advice....

After a lifetime of desultory shooting, I'm looking to take up target pistol shooting and doing some competitions - standard single shot 10m postal stuff initially, moving up proper events and maybe some five shot events too as I gain experience.

The overall question is what gun to get. I've talked to a few people and done some internet research and come up with the main brands, e.g. Steyr, Morini, Hammerli, FWB, Walther, etc.

I've also looked at the cost and swallowed hard - getting through £1500 on a gun and required extras looks frighteningly easy.
But, I do take the view that money spent on quality is often better than trying to do the job on the cheap. However good I may or may not be, I have no chance of getting good results with poor kit. Also good quality doesn't go out of fashion that quickly so depreciation might not be too bad on a good pistol. I know this is all pretty true in club motorsport but is it true of pistol shooting? Should I buy expensive new stuff or go for mid range kit initially, is second hand a realistic option given that the depth of my knowledge is limited and I might not spot a duff one?

Next, taking Steyr as a benchmark. The LP10 looks to be pretty good but the LP50 would give me that five shot capability for a greater range of competitions. Ignoring the extra cost, does the 5 shot design significantly compromise the pistol for single shot use ? (LP50 does have a single shot mag which makes it legal)

Finally, I'm edging towards Steyr over the other brands but it seems very subjective. Some people reckon the Morini electric has the best trigger but the batteries/electronics limit the adjustablility of the grip. FWB are clearly good but are they worth the extra money? Any recommendations, any objective reasons for choice here or is it really down to personal preference? (Oooh, nice paintjob - and yes I have seen race cars sold on that alone!)

Advice on these points and anything else that I should be thinking about would be gratefully received.

regards
Nigel