Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Umarex colt!

I have one (not a pretend real gun) and use it for knocking things over but don't ask me to get excited about a clearly inferior thing and don't get the arsehole with me for not agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
    I have one (not a pretend real gun) and use it for knocking things over but don't ask me to get excited about a clearly inferior thing and don't get the arsehole with me for not agreeing with you.
    I'm sorry....I won't carry on a discussion with someone who just resorts to abusive language when not agreed with...please go and pester people who use catapults with sub-standard elastic or whatever else you disagree with and leave us to our hobby which we still enjoy even when the likes of yourself pops up who dislikes the current available pistols and yet posts on a thread about the aforesaid...
    As Mike says...TROLL!!!

I'm not out to cause trouble
    I'm glad to hear it.

and I fail to see why a different opinion to yours should present any.
    It doesn't. It was the disparaging manner and condescending tone you took which caused the problem; each to his own, and all that.

I didn't make any personal comments, i just dislike that gun.
    Oh, but you did. You called into question our motives for owning such inferior rubbish; I, and it seems other Umarex owners, took great exception to that.

I am bitter that I can no longer shoot my weapons of choice.
    It shows.

You all should be too.
    We are. But we're getting on with things instead of revelling in our own self-pity and - and here's the point you're missing by a country mile - we're actually enjoying it.

I've got powder-burners and I love 'em; but I also love the sweet simplicity of stepping out onto my patio on a whim, no travelling, no packing bags and guns in the car, no worrying about what the weather will do and therefore what to wear, and just enjoying a bit of basic, uncomplicated shooting.

You may not have lost your pistols but you lost your choice and more than that along with it. Your ownership rights are sliding away all the time and soon you'll lose the right to own what you play with now. It is coming and it will happen. That's why I'm bitter.
    A perfectly understandable sentiment, and one I've no doubt that most of us share. But here's the thing: you can allow yourself to be consumed by bitterness, or you can carry on enjoying yourself within the law as it stands; hell, you can even get all evangelical on the government's ass and actively campaign for the return of cartridge pistols, for all the good it will do with the current shower. But at least you'd be doing something.

So what exactly are you doing about this grave injustice, this draconian and disproportionate curtailment of our lawful activities?

Apart from whingeing about it on an internet forum?

I have not used abusive language and I don't ask any of you to continue a conversation with me. I actually believe you are entitled to your opinion, however misguided.
    Mike, you don't know me, or apparently much of anything else and yet you are the one jumping to all the conclusions, typically. The point of an internet forum (or any conversational medium) is a varied interaction of viewpoints. I couldn't care less what any of you think and wonder why you care so much about what I think.
    I am not particularly bitter in the way you "think". I simply progressed my interest to something else, in my case motorbikes because that is far more logical for me. I appreciate quality and functionality, in bikes, airguns and people. That is why I don't care what most people think.

I have not used abusive language and I don't ask any of you to continue a conversation with me. I actually believe you are entitled to your opinion, however misguided.
    Mike, you don't know me, or apparently much of anything else and yet you are the one jumping to all the conclusions, typically. The point of an internet forum (or any conversational medium) is a varied interaction of viewpoints. I couldn't care less what any of you think and wonder why you care so much about what I think.
    I am not particularly bitter in the way you "think". I simply progressed my interest to something else, in my case motorbikes because that is far more logical for me. I appreciate quality and functionality, in bikes, airguns and people. That is why I don't care what most people think.
    I call the word "a***hole abusive language!
    If you've progressed on to motorbikes please feel free to find a suitable motor biking forum....
    Eric.

If you think that's offensive then you've been incredibly fortunate. I thought you were out of this chat... or have you been drinking heavily?

If you think that's offensive then you've been incredibly fortunate. I thought you were out of this chat... or have you been drinking heavily?
    I wish!!!....I'm now out of this chat as I'm up in the morning to work for a living...please place a chip on your other shoulder so you can become a well-balanced chappie....
    Eric.

...But that's sunday. Not a christian, huh? Can you be trusted with an airgun then?

There have been a few cheap and not so nice CO2 pistols come in recently - I notice airshooter , for one stocks them in their budget CO2 range .

Here is a pic of the Beretta 84 copy which has no moving parts to speak of - hammer / slide / etc but still all metal and not bad as a copy .

This new Colt copy looks to me to be more detailed - plus I would not imagine Colt allowing a cheap and nasty copy to carry their trademarks . I like the grips with the prancing pony emblem . The little screw at the back of the slide worries me a little .

Whats that for ?

Heres hoping this replica is a good one and can shoot a bit !!

Carl.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " This , is MY safety "

I think Colt have pulled out of pistols altogether. Very sad, the 1911 is one of the most iconic pistols ever made. They headed up a movement for electronic safety a few years back which law enforcement rejected, perhaps that took the wind out of their sails.
    There are still plenty of 1911a1 copies out there, (most of them better than Colts if the truth be known).

A voyage of discovery

It's been a long... long time since I last logged in to the forum, but this thread caught my attention whilst having a bit of a lurk and I just had to drop in.

jtw000. I know where you are coming from mate and FWIW I agree with a lot of what you have to say.

I also hear what the other forumers have had to say in response and their points are perfectly valid also. I guess it's horses for courses.

Shooting is a broad church. One mans meat... is another mans poison. We just have to accept that without getting all hot about it. I've been around the sport for more years than I care to remember nowadays, and it has always been so. When we had S.1 pistols it always was rifles v pistols... certainly around these parts. Pistol shooters were always seen as "cowboys" by the rifle brigade. Whilst rifle shooters were always seen as being a bit "anal" by pistol shots. Can't we all just get along?

For me, it has always been a case of "if it has a trigger, a barrel, and it's purpose is to shoot a projectile... then it is a gun and I'll give it a bash" regardless of the envelope it is designed to work within. But that is the aspect we often seem to forget when arguing over the merits of our chosen playthings... the performance envelope they are designed to operate in.

I have had the good fortune to be able to use a wide range of shooting utensils over the years. From the lowliest BB gun to some of the highest powered powder burners. A broad spread of gunnery that, I guess, many of the forum users here will now never be able to appreciate in a hands on sense.

Given my shooting background, I'll be the first to agree that from a "hands on" point of view, the new "Colt" currently under discussion here, probably is a crock of smelly stuff in comparison to the item it's meant to replicate. But then again, performance wise, it never was meant to be in the same league. From the pics posted, it certainly has the looks to impress those among us who have no access, or more probably, never had the opportunity of access, to the "real McCoy", and who desire to own a piece which looks like a true firearm. No harm in that in my book.

Engineering wise, like Umarex's other guns, it'll do what it does relatively well - it will make holes in paper and maybe knock over the odd tin can. How long it will continue to do that, like every other airgun, will come down to design and build quality. I own many of Umarex's range and they all have their quirks performance wise, I expect these will be no different. Nice to look at, fun to use. But they will break down eventually. You gets what you pays for. Then again, I've owned a few powder burners that done that as well

You know the funny thing. I've always been a pistol shot first and foremost. My first pistol, and introduction to shooting, was a BSA Scorpion. I soon moved on to S.1. When I lost my collection of S.1's, I sought solace in a Umarex 88. At that time they hadn't yet come off ticket so I had to go the route of FAC alteration. It was nowhere near the build quality of the guns I had to give up, but it was all that I could own that had half a hope of replicating what I was about to lose.

You simply had to make the adjustment from what was, to what is... and having made that adjustment rebuild your sport to suit the new hardwear. Sure it'll never be "the same", and for some "the same" is all that there ever will be, but by use of the old grey matter and some enterprising invention in terms of adapting what you used to shoot, you soon found that you still could shoot all those familiar courses of fire and the "buzz" of the command "Shooter ready" still had the same adrenalin rush when the buzzer went.

Nowadays, while I still shoot a BP revolver... and good fun it is, believe it or not, I get my real kick from shooting an airsoft pistol which I had custom built by Mike Cripps in Burnley. Though only shooting a plastic BB at next to no power, the gear used in terms of full shooting rig exactly replicates that which I used when I had the real steel.

I guess, bottom line, shooting is what you make it. If you get enjoyment out of your chosen equipment, that is all that matters.

Actually I spent a great deal of time growing up on a farm and learnt on small bore and airguns. Firearms came later, Practical pistol was my bag. I still use airguns and as a kid I loved C02 guns and when they were finally legalised I grabbed them. Even when I shot pistols I shot airguns too, among other things and still do. I think a few people need to read what's said not what they think is said.
    Thanks for your "advice" though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Collector View Post
    "I guess, bottom line, shooting is what you make it. If you get enjoyment out of your chosen equipment, that is all that matters.
    Hi Guy's been away for the weekend, and have just read all the posts, I could get into the debate and most of you know how i stand anyway, but the above quote from Mr. Gun Collector says it all.

Jason
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Funny thread this isn't it......?

Loads of verbal, insults and conflict..

and then it turns out we all like shooting

Variety is the spice of life they say, be a bit boring if we all took the same view... I think your all right from where you stand. Long may individuality reign.

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Guys, come on!

We all have the same interest! I only put the thread up as I'm a fan of the 1911 which I do have experience with. i'm impressed at a gun that's been around for so long still impresses us in its looks and real performance-nearly £100 years!. I only looked at the Umarex site for the above reason. I wasn't fortunate enough to use one of these in the UK but have used this in the states many times and amongst many used, is my favourite pistol to shoot. This thread for me was about admiring a gun and that's it. Whether you choose the real macoy or the CO2 version or airsoft, that's your choice. Don't argue, if you have a gripe with legislation, take it up with the government. Remember, this country is what it is because of the people that make it, if you're not happy with things then do something about it but don't take it out on people on this forum-or I'll delete this thread

Regards to EVERYONE