Thread: My New HW45 Questions.

My New HW45 Questions.

Hi, people, i recently purchased a HW45 from Andy J (as shown in the pistol picture thread) with red Patchmayr grips, and it looks great. Its huge, but how does it compare to a real firearm (1911), size wise?

I havent got a chance to fire it yet, apart from dry firing it once, to see how it worked. Ive ordered some RWS Hobby pellets for it, are these good? what about lead free pellets? Im only gonna be killing tins and targets.

Im on the lookout for a small red dot scope for it eventualy, the smaller the better, similar to the Hawke RD30, as that seems pretty compact, but im sure theres some smaller fitting ones available?

Also, what would happen if you fired it while the latch was open? As i know your supposed to put the safety on, but im curious as to what would happen.

Any help would be great thanks.

dkay

Red grips? What were you thinking? the grip is the same size as the real deal, the slide is a lot bigger. If you were to do anything as stupid as firing it with the latch open the slide would probably jump open and then crunch down and you'd do anything from break the alloy shell to lose a few fingers. Luckily there's an idiot-proof switch to prevent the trigger engaging but i find it wise never to under-estimate an idiot. PS, firing it with nothing in it is not called "dry-firing", on any spring action airgun the correct term is "buggering it up".

Hi , thanks for replying, sorry by red i meant rosewood and black , i wouldve preffered all black, but meh, they came with the gun, and is better than the original grip.

DSCF4439.jpg

Hopefully i wont bugger it up anymore.

Well the good news is that any grips that will fit a real 1911A1 pattern pistol will fit the HW45. Firing a springer without a pellet makes the piston hit the end of the cylinder hard enough to damage it. They're lovely guns but you do need to show them some respect.

Real nice grips, Hogue I think.

mix opinions on dry firing spring guns. This is on the Gamo site under FAQ

Can the GAMO rifles be dry fired?
    Yes. The GAMO rifles can be dry fired

Guess they've had many years making these things

I've done it one or twice to check function of weapon.

=

I guess you can dry fire sprigers with the barrel in carpet if indoors or against something (that won't) scratch for compression. But why would you want to ry fire a springer?

Ps. Check out ajaxgrips.com for 1911 grips

Yeah, i read somewhere that it can be ok, i wouldnt want to make a habbit out of it thought, like i said i figured out how to cock it, and then i thought i should unload it. This was before i found the online manual for it.

I had a google, and they are Patchmayr american legend grips.

Any idea on some mini red dot sights ?

Cheers

dkay

Depends on what you mean by dry firing. If it is fully cocked so that the piston slams against the end of the cylinder then I wouldn't recommend it. However with the HW45 it is possible to set the trigger by just releasing the cocking lever and returning it to the closed position without compressing the spring.

Chris.

The carpet is not an air seal and what happened to the natural assumption that all weapons are loaded? I actually like those grips. Pachmeyer are very good, you won't find a better set. As for a red dot, check on ####. A lot of Chinese companies are making replicas of military sights for the airsoft community and the prices and quality are better than you'll get in a domestic low end sight.

Red Dot

I got one of these off eDay. Copy and paste the number into their site
    But, you'll have to get another mount, they supply an 11mm

Enjoy your HW45

=

Thanks for the advice, i had a look at that scopes phil g on the bay, it looks a bit big. Shame theres no pics of them on pistols.

Did someone blot out the word ####? It's ok to talk about firing guns into carpets but not to mention an auction sight?

For the record I mentioned firing an empty springer in to the carpet i.e. withe mzzle pressed into it, but yes I think you can't talk of auction sites that may conflict with the sponsor of this BBS. I guess we have rules to abide by

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by dkay View Post
    Hi , thanks for replying, sorry by red i meant rosewood and black , i wouldve preffered all black, but meh, they came with the gun, and is better than the original grip.

DSCF4439.jpg

Hopefully i wont bugger it up anymore.
    I think it looks great!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I'm with Jim, those grips are great. I wouldn't waste any time looking for something better.