Thread: Anyone able to ID this revolver? Poss Unwin & Rogers

Question Anyone able to ID this revolver? Poss Unwin & Rogers

Hi folks,

I've recently added this little chap to my collection but am unsure exactly who it is...... Its a 5-shot percussion cap revolver with nice proof marks all over the barrel and chamber but no makers details. The only thing resembling a serial number is a '52' stamped to the front part immediately underneath the barrel.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...1/revolver.jpg

Anyone seen anything like it before?

Having spent an inordinate amount of time trawling through antique gun sites the only things I've found remotely resembling it are some Unwins & Rogers (Sheffield) revolvers; they all have this rather distinct shape with back swept grip and rounded hammer. Trouble is... they were all signed!
    Any pointers gratefully recieved!
    Last edited by Mrs. H; 29-06-2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: image not showing....grrr!

That's a Webley Bentley, gotta love the hand spring

Thumbs up Thank You!!

Aha! Ta for that!
    Always easier to find summit once you know what it is.....!!
    I can't believe I've been scouring websites for nigh on 6 months to no avail and within 5 minutes of posting on here its been ID'd!

What might amuse (or horrify!) is that I picked this up an antique auction where the weapons / militaria 'expert' had supposedly worked for the Tower Armories and was held in muchas reverence for his knowledge on all things that go phut and bang. It was catalogued as being an old revolver probably of continental origin.... yep, I can see why they hired him.....
    I left a bid on a hunch that there was something about it... and picked it up for little more than a tank or two of petrol. My day job involves a lot of auction visiting and my business colleague is always concerned as to what we might be coming back with that he's not aware of.... Remington... Snider rolling block...... !! Its usually safer for him to just not ask whats in the boot and why I'm grinning like a loon.
    Many thanks again for the ID!!

Quote Originally Posted by batfink View Post
    It was catalogued as being an old revolver probably of continental origin.... yep, I can see why they hired him.....
    You'd think the proof marks might give it away as English

Here are a couple of links

http://antiques-emporium.com/

They are advertising one albeit cased at £550

http://www.mlagb.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y...num=1137519644

Lots more info including some from our very own Robin and the very clever Mr Hallam

HTH

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

The fun bit is the hand spring. You get the impression that Bentley had a complete revolver design but no hand spring. The spring just got longer and longer as he desperately tried to find somewhere he could screw it to the frame

I've just been bitten by a wheelock, released the mainspring and it got me good - OUCH- Looks like someone tried to convert a fowler lock to fit a musq't by remaking the bridle and tilting the axle

Probably done back in the civil war. If I could just figure out where the bridle was originally I'd fix it. I have a CW barrel that would go well with this lock. The lock has a wonderful spouting whale on the bit that holds the pyrites

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    The fun bit is the hand spring. You get the impression that Bentley had a complete revolver design but no hand spring. The spring just got longer and longer as he desperately tried to find somewhere he could screw it to the frame

I've just been bitten by a wheelock, released the mainspring and it got me good - OUCH- Looks like someone tried to convert a fowler lock to fit a musq't by remaking the bridle and tilting the axle

Probably done back in the civil war. If I could just figure out where the bridle was originally I'd fix it. I have a CW barrel that would go well with this lock. The lock has a wonderful spouting whale on the bit that holds the pyrites
    You sure know your antique guns, Robin.

We need to see a pic of this one!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    We need to see a pic of this one!
    The spring, the lock, the barrel or the hole in my hand?

Guess the lock

http://www.robinhewitt.net/wbridle3.jpg

Question Hand Spring.

What's a hand spring and what does it do?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    The spring, the lock, the barrel or the hole in my hand?

Guess the lock

http://www.robinhewitt.net/wbridle3.jpg
    Great looking lock, and probably the most interesting of the subjects mentioned.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    What's a hand spring and what does it do?

The hand is the pawl, attached to the hammer, which turns the cylinder. It has a spring to keep it engaged.

Thats a bit small for you Robin Thought you only got interested in things that come on carriages and use black powder by the pound

Did you ever get that cannon sorted that you were trying to 'un spike' with a spark erroder??

Mark

Class

Now get it shoulder mounted and see if it improves your score on the clay range!

Mark