Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to buy lead?

where to buy lead?

Hi,
    Where can I buy lead for bullet casting? I have written to the MLAGB but have not received any replies. I have tried my local garage and tyre shops and they are no help whatsoever.

Also, is the mixing of tin with lead essential for bullet casting and if so, where does one get tin from?

Regards,
    Krish

AWOL Guest
    not sure were to buy it but i now that you got to mix old lead with tin and and new lead it tells you in the box when you buy a bullet mould try a gun shop in pudsey north yorkshire called HENRY CRANK think thats how you spell it they might have a web site

Tin? What are you casting bullets for? Not for Minies or patched ball obviously

You might add antimony if you were making lead shot, but otherwise lead, as pure as possible. Tin will make it light and hard.

If you can't find old water pipe (cut any wiped joints out) the most convenient is usually lead flashing from your local builders merchant.

If you must add tin, how about 60/40 bar solder?

PS: Kranks is best spelt with a K when web searching

Go to your local scrap yard
    Never rub another mans rhubarb.

For muzzle loaders, you want to use pure lead. You are going to need a metal merchants that will sell small amounts or, as been suggested, a plumbers merchant for flashing.

For bullets in cartridges, again, depending on what your loading for, really depends on what to make your bullet metal from.

For me, the easiest way to get hold of the base lead, bullet alloy is wheel weights. To every 9lbs of wheel weights I add a one pound bar of 50/50 solder, which is lead and tin. This gives a casting alloy known as Number 2 alloy. When mold manfacturers give the eemension and weight that a particular mold will throw, it's based on No 2.

If you want a harder alloy, you can add more tin, or simply drop the bullet straight from the mold into a bucket of water.

I have 6 blocks of lead which weigh at least 10lb each, plus I have just over half of a 5 ltr container of size 8 shot.

I will get it weighed accurately and give you an accurate weight/price. It's currently about 40p per pound
    should you be interested.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    I have 6 blocks of lead which weigh at least 10lb each, plus I have just over half of a 5 ltr container of size 8 shot.

I will get it weighed accurately and give you an accurate weight/price. It's currently about 40p per pound
    should you be interested.

Pete, I'd be interested in the shot if you've still got it when the BBS shoot is on.

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

I'll bring it down with me, mate.

Pete.
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Many thanks Pete, let me know what you want for it.

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

[QUOTE=robinghewitt;2806138]Tin? What are you casting bullets for? Not for Minies or patched ball obviously

Not muzzle loading I am loading for a 45 Sharps with black powder. For some time now I have been shooting the same with nitro and buying my cast bullets from Andy Allwood, a real gentleman. But since I got into BP recently, the casting bug has bit. I have just spent a small fortune on casting equipment and now need the raw materials which is proving to be quite elusive.

[QUOTE=Simon G;2806225]

For me, the easiest way to get hold of the base lead, bullet alloy is wheel weights. To every 9lbs of wheel weights I add a one pound bar of 50/50 solder, which is lead and tin. This gives a casting alloy known as Number 2 alloy. When mold manfacturers give the eemension and weight that a particular mold will throw, it's based on No 2.

Speaking with a few BPCR shooters, I have been advised to mix 1:20 tin to lead for best results. I would assume that means 1 part tin for 20 parts lead?! I have also read several volumes on BP loading and casting but like always theory seem vastly different from practice and it’s the latter I want to get to grips with. So, what is 50/50 solder?

[QUOTE=snock;2806309]I have 6 blocks of lead which weigh at least 10lb each, plus I have just over half of a 5 ltr container of size 8 shot.

Snock, that sounds good. I certainly would be interested considering I have drawn a blank locally. However, the postage from your place to mine would be more that the lead and some I would imagine But please let me know what it would cost me inclusive of postage and I will let you know.

Have a good day gents
    ATB,
    Krish
    Last edited by Anand; 03-07-2008 at 08:12 AM.

Do you have any friends or family near me who will accept them?

Not that I know of. If you don't mind could you give me your post code by PM and I will see how far you are from me and whether collection is feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Do you have any friends or family near me who will accept them?

Quote Originally Posted by Anand View Post
    Not that I know of. If you don't mind could you give me your post code by PM and I will see how far you are from me and whether collection is feasible.
    Snock/Anand

What about the next BBS shoot @ Bisley - I know thats not a bad run for Krish .....

Just tried to find the date (failed !!) - to see if I'm at Bisley that day & could pick it up for you Krish - let me know

Cheers

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Snock/Anand

What about the next BBS shoot @ Bisley - I know thats not a bad run for Krish .....

Just tried to find the date (failed !!) - to see if I'm at Bisley that day & could pick it up for you Krish - let me know

Cheers

Roy
    Roy,
    That’s real nice of you to offer Thank you. But the BBS shoot is today apparently. However, if you ever go past snock’s place and can pick it up that would be great. I can meet you at Bisley at your convenience. All that lead snock has is just too enticing to let go

But there is no hurry as I have just received a call from a friend who has found a scrap merchant who sells lead. I will tell him to buy a few kilos for the time being so I can start my casting practise.

Regards,
    Krish

Quote Originally Posted by Anand View Post
    So, what is 50/50 solder?
    You get it from plumbing merchants. Basically, it's a bar of plumbing solder made of 50% tin and 50% lead.

A 1:20 mix, for me, would be a bit soft, unless you are using an original and want to protect the bore as best you can.

I load and cast for .45-70 and have had some great results through my Pedersoli replica. You can overcomplicate the process. Mine is;

Go to the scrap yard and buy some used wheelweights. At the moment, I'm paying a fiver for about 15 kilos. Go to a big plumbers and get a bar of 50/50 solder, again, about 7 quid.

Now I use an old cast iron pan and one ring electic hotplate for the next bit. In the garden, because of the fumes, run an extension lead and chuck the wheelweights in the pan and melt them. The rubber and adhesive and stuff will burn off.

You will end up with a pan of scummy liquid metal with clips and stuff in it, from the weights. Scoop these out, but try not to take out any of the "liquid".

Once done, throw in the 50/50 solder. Once that's melted, you're going to need to flux the metal. Take a small piece of bullet lubricant, beeswax or tallow, about the size of a pea, and drop it in the mixture. It's going to ignite, don't worry.

Using your dipper, mix the metal so you get air into in which aids the fluxing. Once fluxed, you can then scrape the rubbish of the top of the mixture and pour the metal into an ingot mold.

10lbs of metal should be enough for 150 bullets. You probably won't save any money, but it's a great part of the hobby and it's a bit of a thrill shooting bullets that you've made your self, in ammo that you also loaded.

I really wanted to have a go at making my own Blackpowder to complete the "experience", but I'm led to believe that's a lot more problematic and possibly illegal!!!