Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where to buy lead?

Simon G, Thank you for the clear and concise write up. You have just clarified a topic that three books couldn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    You get it from plumbing merchants. Basically, it's a bar of plumbing solder made of 50% tin and 50% lead.

Once done, throw in the 50/50 solder. Once that's melted, you're going to need to flux the metal. Take a small piece of bullet lubricant, beeswax or tallow, about the size of a pea, and drop it in the mixture. It's going to ignite, don't worry.
    For example, how many grams of this solder will I mix with, say, 10lbs of pure lead? Or is the mixing weight irrelevant and I just throw one bar of 50/50 solder for whatever weight of lead?

I really wanted to have a go at making my own Blackpowder to complete the "experience", but I'm led to believe that's a lot more problematic and possibly illegal!!!

Probably not a good idea with all our terrorism laws etc. You don’t want to spend 42 days inside just for experimenting

ATB,
    Krish

Quote Originally Posted by Anand View Post
    Roy,
    That’s real nice of you to offer Thank you. But the BBS shoot is today apparently. However, if you ever go past snock’s place and can pick it up that would be great. I can meet you at Bisley at your convenience. All that lead snock has is just too enticing to let go

But there is no hurry as I have just received a call from a friend who has found a scrap merchant who sells lead. I will tell him to buy a few kilos for the time being so I can start my casting practise.

Regards,
    Krish
    Damn - was planning to test some ammo later too !!

I'm in Bracknell & only get up to Aylesbury once or twice a year

Krish - what about the little scrappy thats on the corner of Yeading Lane & Yeading Fork - is it close(ish) to you ?? I've sold him non-ferrous a few times - seemed OK ??

Roy

I will find out the name of the place that my mate got his from, its all still sat here, think it was 105kg of lead, they little pellets about 8mm long and 3mm dia??

anyway was about £100 I think.

try a roofing suppliers (lead flashing)
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

sitsinhedges Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    You get it from plumbing merchants. Basically, it's a bar of plumbing solder made of 50% tin and 50% lead.

A 1:20 mix, for me, would be a bit soft, unless you are using an original and want to protect the bore as best you can.

I load and cast for .45-70 and have had some great results through my Pedersoli replica. You can overcomplicate the process. Mine is;

Go to the scrap yard and buy some used wheelweights. At the moment, I'm paying a fiver for about 15 kilos. Go to a big plumbers and get a bar of 50/50 solder, again, about 7 quid.

Now I use an old cast iron pan and one ring electic hotplate for the next bit. In the garden, because of the fumes, run an extension lead and chuck the wheelweights in the pan and melt them. The rubber and adhesive and stuff will burn off.

You will end up with a pan of scummy liquid metal with clips and stuff in it, from the weights. Scoop these out, but try not to take out any of the "liquid".

Once done, throw in the 50/50 solder. Once that's melted, you're going to need to flux the metal. Take a small piece of bullet lubricant, beeswax or tallow, about the size of a pea, and drop it in the mixture. It's going to ignite, don't worry.

Using your dipper, mix the metal so you get air into in which aids the fluxing. Once fluxed, you can then scrape the rubbish of the top of the mixture and pour the metal into an ingot mold.

10lbs of metal should be enough for 150 bullets. You probably won't save any money, but it's a great part of the hobby and it's a bit of a thrill shooting bullets that you've made your self, in ammo that you also loaded.

I really wanted to have a go at making my own Blackpowder to complete the "experience", but I'm led to believe that's a lot more problematic and possibly illegal!!!
    Wheelweights are made of zinc now and I have found that if you manage to get a bucket of old ones you might get 20% that are useable lead. It's a real shame we have lost this resource because wheelweight lead had the correct amount of antimony in it for shotmaking too

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Krish - what about the little scrappy thats on the corner of Yeading Lane & Yeading Fork - is it close(ish) to you ?? I've sold him non-ferrous a few times - seemed OK ??

Roy
    Roy,
    Small world indeed! That’s where my friend found the lead today. It’s in Yeading Fork and is called ‘Yeading Scrap Metals’. He bought me 10kgs at £15, which seems a fair price this side of London. I am told they have a wheelie bin full of lead in stock as well. The shop is only about 5 miles or so from where I live. So, my search for a local supplier may finally be at end

I have some Swede loads to test and plan to go to Bisley next week. Let me know if you would be interested in joining me.

Krish

Hi Krish

Have sent a PM

Regards

Roy