Thread: Complete Newbie

kluson Guest

Complete Newbie

Hi Guys,
    I am a shotgun, ( nitro) and air rifle shooter. I would very much like to try my hand at ML revolver shooting.
    I don't think my home insurance will allow me to keep BP on my premises, but that is a way off anyway.
    Hope you guys can help me make a start. I need to find a club.
    I live between Salisbury and Winchester about 35 mins from Southampton .
    I can get to Bisley easily during the week as my office is not so far away.
    Anyway hope you can point me in the right direction.
    Can someone explain all the differences between BP, Pyrodex,777 etc.
    I'm sorry tom say but when I'm shooting Shotgun I just buy 1000 of my favourite cartridges and don't have to think about powder etc.

Hope you can help
    all the best and thanks in advance

Try Christchurch gun club (www.christchurchgunclub.org) they have an active black powder section.

The difference between black powder and pyrodex is one is an explosive (black powder you need a licence to posess and approved storage) the other pyrodex is not classed as an explosive and it can be bought without a licence. Both are as corrosive as hell when fired and are messy to clean up after.
    777 is made by Hodgen who also make pyrodex, it is a little hotter than black powder and a lot less corrosive also:mad you need to reduce the load if using instead of Black powder. It is also a lot easier to clean the guns after use.

kluson Guest
    Many thanks for that.
    Christchurch looks fine and not a million miles away. I think the only problem is that I shoot clays on Sundays and whilst I have a hankering to shoot BP I don't want to give up my clays.
    Do they shot BP at Christchurch during the week in the evening?

Really appreciate your help now I have a clearer understanding of the powders.
    Once again many thanks

Salisbury Vintage Rifle and pistol Club
    Real calibres start with a .4

Cgc

General practice including BP shooting 50 metre saturday and sunday am, every 2nd sunday in month pm BP practice 25/50 metre.
    In summer Friday 6pm to Dusk General practice (inc BP) at 50 metres

so quite a few times that BP can be shot.

kluson Guest
    many thanks for that , it sounds ideal.
    What are my first steps. should I e -mail the secretary and make an appointment,
    sorry about so many questions but I truly am a newbie to this form of shooting.
    Kind regards
    Dave

Cgc

You can contact the secretary at cgc.secretary@ntlworld.com there is also a lot of info on the club website www.christchurchgunclub.org.
    You will need to go for an interview at the range with some comitte menmbers after you have applied for membership.

kluson Guest
    Many thanks for that,
    I found the website and have emailed the secretary, Posted the application interest form. Just wait now.
    Many thanks.
    I found another club in Havant also.
    So getting closer all the time.
    I really need something where I can shoot Muzzle loading pistol in the week or Friday nights sio as not to disrupt my clay shooting. I know I'm making it difficult for myself but I don't want to give up on my clay shooting.
    Many thanks for all your help I really appreciate that