Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drei ist besser! :) Drilling by Sauer & Sohn - 7x57r + 16/70

Thumbs up Drei ist besser! :) Drilling by Sauer & Sohn - 7x57r + 16/70

Mr Gain - are you reading?

So, out on a beautiful day, you have been looking for deer - and a couple pigeon just sit staring at you........ or concealed in a pigeon hide with your shotgun, whilst being gawked at by a massive Roe buck. Been there? Known the frustration that goes hand in hand with not having the correct tool for the job?

Well, some time back I purchased a combination shotgun/rifle that resolved many of those issues - however, I recently managed to lay my hands on a replacement that looks to become a very good friend.

She (of course its a lady) looks gorgeous, even though she is probably in her mid fifties now. Made in the days when steel and workmanship did not mean heavy, the whole thing weighs in at only 7lbs.

Lets look at what you get for that.

A side by side 16 bore shotgun.
    Choked at half and full and proved to take 2 3/4" cartridges. Greener style safety on the left side of the action. File cut rib with a bright front bead in German silver. Double triggers - front firing the right barrel - I'll let you guess what the other does!

A 7x57 rifle:
    The cartridge is rimmed as it should be to aid extraction in a break action firearm. The rifling is deeply cut and and very crisp. Pushing a forward a selector on the wrist ( looks like the cocking unit on a Blaser) changes from shotgun to rifle - and here's the trick bit. As you select the rifle, from its normal resting place on the rib, the rear sight mechanically articulates up so it can be used! Incredibly cool, and the sort of engineering that does not appear on modern firearms.

To aid accurate shooting, push the front trigger forward and it 'sets'. Now a mere ounce or two of pressure sends the shot on its way. Trust me, 'creep' is something that happens to other folks!

The overall sensation is one of perfect balance and heft. Shouldering the gun with eyes closed - open them and the sights are perfectly aligned. It really does feel like an extension of your body. Again, something only found on shotguns where the 'fitting' makes a huge difference to your success.

So, to my eyes it is a thing of beauty - but how would it shoot?

Taken out onto a sporting layout , the little 16 bore shells slipped snugly into the chambers. A reassuring clunk as the action locked up firmly - and the call was given. 'Pull'

Almost too easy - looking at the clay, I swung through and dabbed the front trigger. Firm recoil and the clay smoked. Strangely, the front trigger controls the barrel choked 'full'. Hit, and the target is pounded. The left barrel is choked at half - so more than competent at normal game shooting ranges. The remaining few clays evaporated & smiling broadly, I decided to buy the gun!

Taking the gun to a range immediately showed the difference from 'normal' rifles. There is nothing up front to rest! A splinter fore end means that supporting the rifle with one hand rested on the sandbag and a bag under the butt was the most stable option.

A Drilling (Drei = three) is normally used with the iron sights out to around 100yds. However, they normally feature a scope with some form of quick detach mounts. This one is no different.

A 2-7x 32 by Hertel & Reuss snicks into place via a claw mount. The system is complex to fit and adjust - but once set up allows a reassurance of return to zero. The reticle is a German No1. - Heavy Post and cross hair. Ideal for low light shooting - it was designed for shooting wild boar at night against a snow background.

Unusually, the right turret on the scope operates the focus - with both elevation and windage adjustments being controlled by rings on the top turret.

With only a few rounds made up at some ten percent below max - I could not do anything more than assess its grouping and get a load onto point of aim.

The first three shots produced a neat triangle at the 100yd point. The group measured at 1.5" and I started to grin. The realization that I had a shooter was the icing on the cake. Removing the scope, I tried the iron sights and was pleased to see them coinciding at 50yds. The scope went back on and showed a gratifying return to zero.

I had a further three rounds, loaded a couple grains heavier. The first two grouped at under half inch.... when I totally mucked up the last shot!

I guess accuracy testing will carry on - but for now, I'm a very happy bloke!

**UPDATE - First Field Test**

Oh Yes - this one is definitely a keeper. Sauer came back by email and confirmed the Drilling was made in August 1964, so even younger than I had thought. As my interest is in shooting rather than collecting, this made me very happy!

Anyhow, went out last evening - heavy showers with bright spells in between. Ideal, as the deer tend to show soon after the rain stops. Sure enough, I had a Roe Doe to my front within minutes. Fickle breeze from behind gave her a whiff of scent - her ears came up and she stepped daintily away over the hedge.

Wind obviously running in an unusual direction - so I skirted the fields and snuck down a goyle to one side of the farm. Emerging from the ravine immediately showed that the diversion was the correct call.

Easing up the bank, a pair of ears showed over the slope. There he was, sat chewing cud in the centre of a recently cut pasture. Just a youngish Roe - but likely the culprit behind the recent Rose bush attack.

I wormed forward, belly to the ground, closing the distance until we were only some thirty yards apart. Slowly moved up to a kneeling position and checked there was rising ground behind him. Kneeling and ready I barked at him. Nothing! Not a trace of concern, jaws steadily chewing. I barked, screamed, whistled and damn near launched into a yodel before the buck deigned to rise to his feet.

Foresight bright against his shoulder, I dabbed the trigger. The deep BOOM of the rifle was not matched by any perceivable recoil - the buck was down however, as though struck by the hammer of Thor.

The low velocity of the cartridge makes for very little meat damage, important to me as I eat or sell my venison. A pleasant change from the bloodshot that usually attends a more modern calibre!

Before rising and going to the buck, I scanned the ground with my binoculars. The second good call of the evening!

A further Roe had appeared from a hedge on the far side of the field. Checking for antlers, I estimated his range at 120yds or so. A little further than I was comfortable using the iron sights, so I moved back out of sight and slipped the scope from its case.

Forward once more, sticks up and a stable position - the 'new' buck was still broadside when the shot broke. With no recoil it was easy to watch him kick and sprint out of view. Felt like a good shot and the reaction was correct, but then, a bit to the left I could see a red back bounding and bobbing away and out of view.

The site of the hit was clearly marked by 'paint' - as well as a fragment of lung tissue, so the immediate relief of knowing the buck was dead. No further blood showed in the area, so I traced the steps of that departing roe. Strangely, there were no traces where it slipped through a hole in the hedge. It would be normal to find blood at the height of the entrance and exit wounds when a hit animal forces between tight foliage. The minutes ticked by, a surge of excitement as I identified a Roe stood in the shadows beneath a tree some 200 yds off was followed by disappointment as it proved to be a doe.

Light fading fast - I retraced my steps to the scene of the hit. On a hunch I tried walking away the last sighting.

There he was! After he was hit, he must have made one mighty bound that took him down a bank. This explained the lack of sign - for he had not moved after landing in the tall weeds.

Slipping a drag strap from my pocket, I cinched it under his jaw and started the drag back to the other carcass. As usual, then the real work began!

So, the 'new' Drilling has proved to be an accurate and effective tool in the field. Certainly, something that I will be using more an more. I think I'm in love!

Rgds Mod
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mod; 08-07-2008 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Pics added/ hunt report added
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training, DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching
    Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062

Wunderbar!

That is a lovely piece (green=envy). How many times have I been out stalking and found that a centrefire was just the wrong gun for the day

I know from the Kettner & Frankonia (German hunting store chains) catalogues that you can get a rifled barrel in 22lr (or other calibres)to put in one of the 16b barrels. Would make it an even more versatile tool then. `The other option would be to carry a shotgun, a stalking rifle and a 22

Good look in finding that optimal handload!

John
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am, send me!" Isaiah 6.1-8

Quote Originally Posted by 455webley View Post
    T
    I know from the Kettner & Frankonia (German hunting store chains) catalogues that you can get a rifled barrel in 22lr (or other calibres)to put in one of the 16b barrels.
    John
    John

Looking at importing one from Germany even as we speak!

You are right - in the Fatherland it is known as an 'einstecklauf'. A sub-calibre barrel with an extractor activated by opening the gun. Available in calibres from .22lr right up to some meaty c/f rounds. They feature the ability to be zeroed to the scope and are normally capable of MOA accuracy.

My preference is for a .22lr due to noise considerations - but what a versatile handful it will make!

On cue, I have just had a call from a neighbour with Roe chewing his roses. I fancy tonight will be the ideal evening for a wander!

Now, leather trousers.... check....... Loden Jacket......Huh, where did that get to!!??!!

Rgds Mod
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training, DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching

Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post

On cue, I have just had a call from a neighbour with Roe chewing his roses. I fancy tonight will be the ideal evening for a wander!

Now, leather trousers.... check....... Loden Jacket......Huh, where did that get to!!??!!

Rgds Mod
    Loden jacket....you'll be out yodeling at the deer next they'll die of fright no need for your new fancy gun then. You can give it to me . I'm rubbish at yodeling!

Waidmansheil for you stalking tonight and good luck with the import from Germany. You might want to give these guys a try http://www.triebel.de/. I have used them before and they are reliable and friendly. They also take credit card, which can be a problem with some German companies as they insist on bank transfers - little do they know that we in rip off land pay £30 in banking fees and get a crappy exchange rate to boot! If there is anything I can do to help send me a PM.

Cheers
    John
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am, send me!" Isaiah 6.1-8

Thumbs up

Main thread updated!

Rgds Mod

i believe that the ww2 german desert bomber crews used to be issued the sig sauer version of your gun as a survival tool.

More information - thankyou!

Apparently, SIG only joined with JP Sauer & Sohn in the seventies. This was done with the aim of bringing their firearms to a worldwide market and avoiding restrictions placed on firearms exports by the Swiss government.

Rgds Mod

What a fabulous firearm.
    SGC holder
    FAC holder
    BASC member

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    i believe that the ww2 german desert bomber crews used to be issued the sig sauer version of your gun as a survival tool.

There's one here - around $14K - by J P Sauer u. Sohn.

http://www.ktpguns.com/interior.php/pid/28/gid/123807

tac

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Drillings were never popular in the US. But rifle / shotgun combinations (only 1barrel of each) have a following. They tend to be inexpensive utility guns.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Mod
    Mr Gain - are you reading?
    All I can say is, if you spot one with a l/h stock on it, let me know!

(Ah, left-handedness: the last refuge of the envious!)

What a great piece of kit - do the 16g barrels have ejectors?#

P.S. This one's a bit rich for me - more's the pity!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post

What a great piece of kit - do the 16g barrels have ejectors?#
    Yes (Well my dad's has and it was made pre-1900).

Open Question:

My dad's drilling is marked as Sauer & Suhl and as stated above was made pre-1900 (also in 16 gauge and 7x57R). It's been in our family since date of manufacture (Interesting history too, especially how it escaped being destroyed in WWII). Where can I find out more about this shotgun and manufacturer. Did "Sauer & Suhl" become "Sauer & Sohn"? Should I contact them directly or is there anybody else I can contact regarding this rifle? Would really appreciate any feedback on this.

Mr Gain

No - the norm is for extractors rather than ejectors. So maybe not the tool for your 600 bird days?

Blankster

Contact Paul Shaw at Garlands - send him an email with your questions & he will forward onto Sauer tech dept. I had manufacture details of mine within 40 minutes! paul.shaw@garlands.uk.com

Rgds Mod
    Last edited by Mod; 11-07-2008 at 07:23 AM.

Thanks Mod