Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drei ist besser! :) Drilling by Sauer & Sohn - 7x57r + 16/70

best load in your Sauer 7x57R

I just joined the forum and am curious as to the actual loads, factory or hand loads, which shoot well in the 7x57R, especially J.P. Sauer.

I have a J.P. Sauer combination gun in an small frame, 20 gauge and 7x57R.

I am still working through factory loads from Remingrton, Hornady, RWS, Norma and Sellier & Bellot, as well as loading up some 120, 149, 154, 160, and 175-gr loads.

Thanks in advance from the USA.

Aber ein vierling ist besser.

Has anyone got a vierling ? I've heard of them, these boys will make you one :

http://www.hoferwaffen.com

but I've never seen one.

And then there is the funfling for the man who really does not know what he is going to shoot...

http://www.hoferwaffen.com/hofer_52s.php?id=37&lang=en

Welcome to the forum! The calibre of your drilling rifle barrel is passing strange here in UK - so strange, in fact, that I've never seen one in my life, and I'm pretty old. So I can't help you out except to advise you to post your query on the appropriate forum of gunboards.com.

Sadly, you'll see me there, too, as I am one of the few international patrons of the site, but don't let that put you off.

Here in UK I reload for my two 7x57 Mausers - one rifle [a Rhodesian bringback] and one carbine [a documented Boer War bringback], but of course, your rimmed version is a chicken of a different kettle altogether. COTW lists them both under the same heading, but I'm loathe to post any loading data here. Mine are very specifically loaded for two different styles of bullet, given the age of my two Mausers, anyhow, and are prolly squeakpips by comparison with the stuff that you are used to shooting.

Best

tac, sometime of Eugene OR

7mm-shooter

Will drop you a PM this evening - usual rules apply to published loads........ at your own risk & work up to ensure they are safe in your own rifle!

Best,

Mod
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training, DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching
    Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062

Hi - got these responses so far this evening...

Today, 11:45 AM #2

ireload2

ireload2 is offline Senior Member

Join Dateec 1969Posts:1,601

I have an old Pacific loading manual that lists both rounds with the same data but it is data that is suitable for a small ring (93 or 95 Mauser). I think old Norma manuals listed loads for the 7X57R too but who wants to use Norma powders?
    I would research old Lyman manuals for cast bullet loading data with the same powders used for jacketed bullets and compare it to the data from jacketed low pressure loads. You will probably find low pressure data in powder manufactured guides from about 40 years ago.
    I would probably start out with data about half way between the cast bullet max loads and the jacketed starting loads for the same weight bullet. If that did not make any sense let me know.
    The data on the Hodgdon site has starting loads at about 39,000-40,000CUP with max loads at 45,000 top 46,000.
    You should be able to work up to the starting loads and stop there. You are not exceeding 30-30 pressures by much.

1. Contrast with another set of low pressure loads using the same case in the 257 Roberts - the Hodgdon pressures are about the same as the 7X57. Plus P loads in the 257 Roberts would be much higher.

2. For another perspective on pressure with the same case but very high pressure check the 6mm Rem.

Last edited by ireload2; Today at 12:00 PM.

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Today, 11:54 AM #3

Rapidrob

Rapidrob is offline Senior Member

The Drilling action is very strong. I'd would run a tight fitting patch down the bore and verify the rifling twist by measuring the rotation of the cleaning rod in inches.
    This will tell you what bullet it will stabilize. Once you find a load the rifle likes, neck size only to increase case life.

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 1970-72
    GMCM(SW) 1969-1989
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I buy the Constitution and The Bill-Of-Rights, you can keep the CHANGE."
    Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Today, 01:42 PM #4

Alexei

Alexei is offline Senior Member

Funny, but at the local show in early October, a dealer had two boxes of 7x57R for sale. If you want his contact details, PM me, and I'll see if I can find him at the December show.

No doubt there's more to come. Alexei lives in PA, BTW.

tac

More from Ireload ......usual warning apply.

PPU lists bullet weights and velocities for both the 7X57 and 7X57R.
    Velocities are similar so the pressures have to be similar also.

PPU Rifle ammo here

Sellier & Bellot lists the same weights and velocities for both the 7X57 and 7X57R.
    I don't know what the pressure is that they load to but it has to be the same for both rounds.
    To see velocity you need the complete view under rifle ammo.

Sellier and Bellot here

From the CIP pdf for rimmed rounds

7X57R

Pressures (Energies)
    Method Transducer
    Pmax = 3400 bar = 49312 psi (note this is not the same value as CUP)
    PK = 3910 bar
    PE = 4250 bar
    M = 25.00 bar
    EE = 3390 Joule

This is from the CIP rimless PDF
    7X57 Mauser

Pressures (Energies)
    Method Transducer

Pmax = 3900 bar = 56564 PSI (NOT CUP)
    PK = 4485 bar
    PE = 4875 bar
    M = 25.00 bar
    EE = 3450 Joule

tac
    Last edited by ireload2; Yesterday at 09:19 PM.