Thread: Flintlock and Triple 7

Flintlock and Triple 7

Hello Everybody this is my first post on your forum.

I have just realised a boyhood dream to own and use a Brown Bess musket. I bought an "Indian" version classed as a 10 bore shotgun, but as i do not have a blackpowder licence i am reliant on the generosity and attendance of other club members who use blackpowder to get some for pan priming, my main charge being Pyrodex. It was suggested that I might be able to use Triple 7 powder both as the main charge and for the pan, has anybody any experience of this? Or do you have any other suggestions.

cheers
    Flashinthepan

Pyro and 777 are not very good as pan powder, they are propellant rather than explosive and need to be in a confined space to burn properly.

That said they should still work though no where near as reliably.

There are talks underway to allow shooters to have a small amount of BP (perhaps 2.5k) without an explosives license. Many of us participated in the consultation.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Several I know have tried 777 as 'pan fuel' but with mixed results.

FFFG ('pistol grade') is finer and is a little better than FFG (rifle) but really you need 'proper' black.

Thanks Folks
    I will have to get a move on and sort the storage situation out.

I have heard from a gentleman who is in the gun retail business that there is a consideration of lifting the licence requirements for small quanities of Black powder. Has anybody heard anything concrete about this.

Try the BASC site www.basc.org.uk/content/powder

The requirement for a box solved a problem that didn't exist and converted safe powder stores in to bombs. If my house catches fire I want to get the bang over with quickly so the fire brigade can start putting it out.

The Explosive Cert and RCA document are a formality if you have the gun on SGC.

If you have the shekles, Peter Starley will sell you an approved box full of BP mail order. http://www.black-powder.co.uk/

Thanks folks
    The link to the basc and their paper with acpo was very useful.

Storage for black powder would not be a problem when the house renovations are complete - have you found it a problem with the house insurance?

Has anyone heard of/tried DuraFlint - an American gemstone composite flint replacement?

Cheers
    F