Thread: Crossman 66 left charged ?

rhino Guest

Crossman 66 left charged ?

I've got a Crossman 66 .177 pump up airgun. It's great fun and deadly accurate. It looks ridiculous with a Tasco silver antler scope on it but I don't care and at least it's useable in my small garden.
    I usually pump it 10 times and fire the shot straight afterwards. Can anyone tell me if there would be any problem with seals, etc, if I left the gun loaded for any period of time.
    I am selling my Original 50 .22 because hopefully I have killed all the squirrels but I need to have the Crossman ready to fire in case they return.

Thanks

Rhino

Probably actually better to leave a pneumatic with some pressure in it and certainly wont do it any harm.

That said it is absolutely STUPID to leave a loaded rifle lying around your house for any length of time

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

rhino Guest
    Thanks for that Richard

I obviously wasn't proposing to leave it with a pellet in it

There is no problem with loading a pellet quickly but if that is combined with pumping the gun 10 times, the moment may well have passed.

So no problem with leaving a full pressure charge in such a gun for a few hours then - excellent ! Instinct told me this was the wrong thing to do but it's nice to know otherwise.

Think of pre-charged rifles, they hold pressure all the time, doesnt do them any harm.

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

rhino Guest
    That's a fair point but I know a lot of owners of quality precharged rifles who have had to replace seals after a relatively short period of time, typically 2 to 3 years from new.