Thread: HFT pegs/targets

HFT pegs/targets

Before anyone jumps down our throats and say “more rule changes” this isn’t a rule change.
    With numbers increasing in HFT we have been thinking how to alter a few things to stop congestion of shooters so at the Quarry shoot we will trying 1 target 1 peg not the standard 2 pegs 1 target only difference will be instead of having a lane with the target similar distance within a few yards they may be totally different.
    The main reason we use the 2 peg 1 target is that smaller clubs can put a HFT course out so what we are thinking of doing is leave it up to each club to do what they want they could even have 1 peg 2 targets as long as it’s a 30 shot course with 6x 25mm reducers and 24x40mm and of course its as long as its known beforehand what format they are using.
    And it wouldn’t take any longer setting up 1 on 1 as now it can be hard sometimes to get 2 different shots from each lane without having one peg in front of another and one lane can take a while to suss.

This idea was put to all organisers and hosting clubs and quite a few random shooters and most agree to give it a try.

For rounds that are going to try the 1 on 1 we may have pairs not threes going round as even with pairs that’s 60 shooters a session were as we only normally get 45 in each session.

Pete

Darren Petts Guest
    Makes a lot of sense Pete. 1 target 1 peg will get many more shooters on in the same time and with the numbers on the up you will need to shift them through.

Was interesting watching the shot change completely for the sake of a 5ft gap between pegs though
    I'm telling you it moved!

Dunno what pegs are normally used as Millride was my first official HFT shoot. However being on the 3rd session it was hard to locate quite a few of the pegs/discs.

At my local club we use large wooden pegs with numbers written on and they are a lot more visible.

Not a criticism - just a suggestion with the number of people trapsing through each lane.

Simon.
    Beretta 692 30" Sporter L/H Adjustable Stock
    Crooked Barn 2240 .22

dwb Guest
    It the responsibility of the CLUB that run a HFT round to have adequate pegs
    I was in the first session and found it hard to locate quite a few of the pegs

one target one peg is the way forward it makes course building easier and makes the shoot even safer

with all the income CLUB makes from hosting a HFT round they should have no problem finding the target from somewhere it in their own interest , it should not be the responsibility of the organizers to supply equipment , just to help out with advice

DWBaines

Yup at Quarry we use a wooden peg to touch then have the number in the ground behind it.

Pete

Pegs

We use 2ft x2ft flaggs at our range so have no trouble locating them

Two screws

At Plymouth the pegs are (I think) two-and-a-half feet long and even one of them got trodden down to pallet level at one firing point. Not that it was muddy, you understand! Jeeze, Jonathan, that night shoot must be a one-off (please!). It was soft out there in the dark - but what fun! They call it character-building. I must be some character!

As one very well known FT shooter (a member of the old club) said - we don't need a marshal in the winter, we just need a harbour master!

For those were there, the wood looks very different now - greenery three-foot high and rising, rapidly. A very changeable ecosystem.

Keith

Makes sense to me Pete, the more people ewe can get off safely in one go the better IMHO Go for it.
    Kev
    You laugh at me because I'm strange I laugh at you because your stupid!
    A Turkey is for Christmas not for life.

Shaggy Guest
    Pete,
    I recon it makes sence mate, that way space permitting there's a better chance each session will be quicker, well all except the one Gary C's in & be a shorter day for everyone?

I am all for change especially if it makes it a better course to shoot. Marshalling at Millride was hard, becasue the peg's were being pushed into the ground & being so small made it harder to find em, no one could see em or use em for that matter.

Maybe in time to come their may have to be a minimum/maximum size for Peg's? yaknow like a set standard? I know it's stupid, but when you consider that by doing it no one can move or manipulate the peg so it gives them an easier shot! that way people behind the firing line will see it being moved & do something about it hopefully?

I found it a bit annoying people were breaking natural cover away to get an easier shot off, where People before em left well alone. I am behind ya all the way on it Pete & everyone in the Organisation, there will be those that moan about it, there always is but it's being done for the right reasons!

ATB

Darren