Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rapid barrels?

Rapid barrels?

i have a FAC MK2 Rapid 30 ft/lb.and have good groups with bis mags .22.
    i decided to try various pellets ie Air Arms, Daystate, Pest control, superfields, accupell, but the groups were worse than my shotgun.
    Are the Anshutz barrels this fussy? my old BSA s10 FAC shot well with most pellets at 30 ft/lb.

P.S. has anyone tried a BSA barrel blank and turned it to fit the Rapid action? Joe Young i think does this sort of thing?
    He who never made a mistake never learned anything!
    He who never missed never shot!

Perhaps it is because Theoben insist on choking their barrels rather than have anshutz do it and they haven't yet perfected the art of consistancy in this aspect - my rapid Mk II was choked on the pi55 so it wouldn't have grouped even if hell had frozen over. This fault may explain why Theoben barrels are notoriously 'pellet fussy'.

David

Snapshot. Guest
    It might be simply that the other pellets, apart from Pest Controls, are too light for 30fpe. Pest Controls just don't group at longer range anyway.

Jonathan

DM80 Guest
    I have fitted many full length superten barrels to rapids for fac conversions & in my experiance they perform better than the theoben barrel & they are a lot cheaper they do have to be sleeved & then turned down but its a simple job' i've found the superten barrel will shoot any pellet with good accuracy at 12ftb or fac levels' their is also the airarms s200 barrel which performs brilliantly on rapids with fantastic accuracy & at 19" they are good for fac conversion & best of all they are only £45 ready blued' same fitting as superten barrel sleeve them & turn them down.

Dave .

Rapid Barrels

Aeroman is the one on the pi55 ! All Anchutz barrels are choked by Anchutz.The choking done at the factory is on Lothar Walthar barrels and is an exact sience and accurate to tenths of a thou
    and can not come out on the pi55 as so elequently put by Aeroman.
    If however he means that the rifled bore was eccentric that is common to all barrel making to a lesser or greater extent no matter who is the manufacturer, far more so on swaged barrels.

Re: Rapid Barrels

Originally posted by bengarzy
    Aeroman is the one on the pi55 ! All Anchutz barrels are choked by Anchutz.The choking done at the factory is on Lothar Walthar barrels and is an exact sience and accurate to tenths of a thou
    and can not come out on the pi55 as so elequently put by Aeroman.
    If however he means that the rifled bore was eccentric that is common to all barrel making to a lesser or greater extent no matter who is the manufacturer, far more so on swaged barrels.
    Ben,

You have PM

David
    Last edited by Aeroman; 15-05-2004 at 04:39 PM.

Talking about barrels

Whilst we're all having a natter about barrels, can I just ask a question ??

My Theo Mk2 .25 has quite a puff of air whilst firing, initially is seem the escape via the probe-barrel connection so I slightly tightened the bolt withtout any result. Bought some of that stuff they use in car engines to stop cylindre valves from leaking, used it on the probe-barrel contact.
    The probe-barrel is absolutely 100% vacuum. Found out that there is a couple of scratches which are running from the transferport to where one slides in the magazine Now I coming to the actual question;

Can I just put the barrel in a lathe to take 3/4" off the barrel and drill a new transferport ?

Any input is appreciated and the 50th poster will be given a medal
    Last edited by Len; 15-05-2004 at 05:46 PM.

take the scope off and also front mount and take out the screw inside the front mount, make sure the inner screw is tightly fastened doen onto the barrel. Put mount back on and hopefully this should solve your prob, it did with mine!

Barrels

Thanks, already tried it and buggered up a location screw in the process.

Now I need both a barrel locator screw and still need to sort out the barrel.

cheers
    Last edited by Len; 16-05-2004 at 07:35 AM.

Thunderbolt A10 Guest
    Originally posted by Snapshot.
    It might be simply that the other pellets, apart from Pest Controls, are too light for 30fpe. Pest Controls just don't group at longer range anyway.

Jonathan
    Hi,

Just before we all turn away from the Pest Control pellets at longer ranges I would like to give a success story. In my airgun these .25 pellets are accurate out to 60 yards with 1" groups on a no-wind day.
    So if you are lucky with the right airgun and pellet combination - these pellets can be very accurate at long ranges too.

Rgds,
    Thunderbolt A-10

great pellet and did group well in my BSA just not with mt rapid which is disappointing as boy do they STOP, especially with power behind them, very high expansion especially for rats!

Lathe

Well ? How about it, can I (or an expert) take a piece off the barrel and get away with it ??

Any input appreciated.
    Theory Men: They all know how it should work but it doesn't
    Practice Men: Everything works but nobody knows how

Andy.I Guest

Re: Lathe

Originally posted by Len
    Well ? How about it, can I (or an expert) take a piece off the barrel and get away with it ??

Any input appreciated.
    Yes you can. The only problem is to deburr the transfer port where it breaks through into the bore.

Burr

Thanks Andy, I was worried about snags 'n' snares, there it is; is there a trick to avoid damaging the rifling ?

Len
    Theory Men: They all know how it should work but it doesn't
    Practice Men: Everything works but nobody knows how

adz Guest
    I tried Pest Controls in my FAC Rapid in .22 and found that they group better than Mags out to 55 yards. It cant be the same for all guns, some spit, some swallow......