Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for the ladies

Trav Guest

A question for the ladies

I just got my brand new HW97k the other day and I was sitting out the back plinking at a target. My wife came out and said "gis a go!!".

Fabulous I thought, so I loaded it up and pointed at the target and off she went.

Turns out she loves the whole shooting thing. She was a bit suspicious of what I was doing before, but now she wants to join in.

Here's the question though. She wants an air rifle now, but she says the one I have is too heavy for her. I'm not that surprised to be honest, it is a 9lb rifle.

She is 5'4", and weighs about 9 stone. She is a hunt groom, so she's no weakling, but she did ask me to mention the fact she has slightly dodgy wrists.

She would like the rifle for shooting rabbits with me and maybe a bit of plinking in the back yard. Mainly hunting though.

I think we are both sort of traditionalists in that we like springers, but given her wrists, we would also think pretty long and hard about a PCP.

Any suggestions?

cheers,

Trav

jonh Guest
    Kim and Leonora both have Air Arms S200's in .177 and like them.

Best bet is to take her to a local club and try a few guns before a final decision is made.

Cheers
    Jon

PeteB is offline Personally, I don't trust any bloke that makes me feel stiff in the morning
    Calne, Wiltshire. (not far enough from Calais)
    An Air arms s200 is a good PCP for people with smaller build, as is the Falcon light hunter 12". Both very good rifles.

As for springers a Webley Exocet XS is very good and comes with a built in silencer.

Hope that helps

Pete

bennyblanco Guest
    if money is an object as she might give it up, a bsa super sport non carbine( so she can cock it) might be good, very light and powerfull, air arms s200 are amazingly light and easy to get on with for a pcp

Trav Guest
    Thanks very much guys, keep bringing it on, I'll go look at each of these and stick them in front of her so she can choose!!

cheers,

Trav

bennyblanco Guest
    she will think the s200 is ugly, you need to make her hold it, bsa lightning, cometa range(fenix 400 looks top but i have never held one, and its £150ish)

roblade is offline Time for a coffee........;-)
    pre charge my choices would be:

1. s200 great little rifle though the prospect of about 50 shots may not please her if she has to use a pump ghreat little rifle very very accurate and very light, not really a down side to this one.

2. gunpower stealth, these really are a great gun as long as you can find a decent one, best bet on these would be second hand from someone on here. my mother used to have one before she passed it to me. you get approx 500 shots per charge! as long as you have a decent gun shop local top you as my mother did, she bought a tin of pels and got the bottle topped up free! though if your using the pump this does mean 500 pumps!!!!!! down side they are notoriously. but i really would not buy a new one of these.

spring gun choices would be.

hmmmmm a little harder for me im only used to short ickle carbines

1. hw95 light and accurate though the short barrle may be a bit of a pain for the wrists

2. cant ermber which one it was but chap at our club has one of the cometa rifles and its one of the easiest rifles i have ever shot! cocking effort was as if it were a rifle of a lot less power but cronoed it came out at 11.2Flbs! really would check these out! and they dont break the bank!

hope this helps you out a little

ROB
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) the bunnies are coming!
    (")_(") THE BUNNIES ARE COMING!!!!!

to spring? or not to spring? that is the question. oh sod it get them both!!!!

You could do worse than a BSA Spitfire - I know it's a PCP but it has a more traditional 'break' to the barrel for loading, is nice and light, devillishly accurate, and inexpensive.

David

Originally posted by Aeroman
    You could do worse than a BSA Spitfire - I know it's a PCP but it has a more traditional 'break' to the barrel for loading, is nice and light, devillishly accurate, and inexpensive.
    Seconded! My wife's 4'10" and she likes the Spitfire (as do I ).

Also might be worth trying out a long-barrelled .22 springer such as a Supersport. (.22 easier to cock compared to the equivalent 12 fpe .177.)

Snapshot. Guest
    Don't neglect the various flavours of the plastic-stocked FX guns. Very light but more expensive than the S200, etc.

Like others here I'm a big fan of the BSA Spitfire. Make sure you get the HF version if you do go this route.

Jonathan

Good luck mate - you're headed down the same road as me!

Started her off on a BSA Lightning in .177 - weight was fine, but the recoil and cocking effort was a little much for her.

She started playing with my falcon, and decided PCP was the way to go.

Bought her a s400 carbine - loved it, but hankered after the mag system "like the one on your gun

So the s400's gone, and she has a s410k (just like mine) - now fitted with a Harris tilt bipod (to help with the lying down shots), weaver mounted Varmint 6-24x42, and SB laser under the silencer to help with rangefinding!

Talk about his n hers kit!!

Plus side is, I can whip her scope off and use the rifle for NV as my "spare" - laser makes zero checking a doddle - but don't tell her that

Overall though, if weight is an issue she found the Spitfire to be a surprisingly heavy gun - much more so than the Lightning. s400k seems to balance nicely, and she's plinking spinners out to 45 yards well enough - even took her first bunny the other day!

Good luck

Dan

Thameside Guest
    we bought the father in law a webley spectre.The wife was sitting by the computer shooting cherry tomatoes at 20 yards.She said 'If he doesn't like it I will have it'.Only ways around 6lb with scope if that.Steve

Gary C Guest
    Daystate Mirage

AAS410K - lighter than 200 and far nicer

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    For springers, cocking effort is a key factor too...

My GF couldn't cock any of my springers, so I got a Tx200 Mk3 (mk3 is important) - very low cocking effort, and usual TX accuracy.

Not particulary light, but she is fine with it...

HTH - JB

PS AS for PCPs, I agree 100% with Gary - sure, get the S200 if you are on a budget, but the 400K is lighter and so much nicer to use/own, especially in walnut sporter version...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

WILBA Guest
    She started playing with my falcon, and decided PCP was the way to go.
    (QUOTE)

Is that what they call it these days dan, dam i've been calling it by another name so thats why she don't play with mine then

You won't go wrong with either the AA200 or the falcon FN12 mateas both are as good as each other. In springers i wouls also go for the bsa supersport to which is lighter than the HW 95. but if her wrists are knacked i would go the pcp route but remember you will have to splash out on a handpump or dive bottle setup for these also so could get expensive. or do you already own a pcp? AA410 is quite light to.
    ATB
    chris