Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question for the ladies

andyw Guest
    I would agree with the previous comments regarding the s200 but my wife was not keen on only 50 shots or indeed the expence of a spare bottle or indeed an air bottle! - My wifes uses the BSA Lightning powerful, reasonable easy to break the barrel and fairly cheap....we also use the rather under-rated HW57 very easy to use the under lever, bought "ours" new for £160 - very light, easy gun.

Trav Guest
    Thanks very much guys, I appreciate all the input so far.

From the looks of it, the BSA Lightning looks the way to go with the springers and the AA200/400/410 range is it in the PCP. I haven't yet looked at the Daystate range and to be honest the expense of the Daystate range in general tends to make me flinch. If it makes me flinch its bound to make my wife flinch....she is female after all.

The thing I am most concerned with is the power of the rifle. She does want to shoot rabbits with it. What would disturb her most is having a rifle which will injure a rabbit but not kill it. I have been getting her to look at the Cometa and SMK range of rifles to start with, and the BSA and Webleys of course, but my question is, how consistant and predictable are these ranges of rifles? Any ideas? Anecdotes? Anything at all?

I'm also going to have another look at the HW57 and if necessary, the 27. I'm not trying to fob her off with a cheap rifle, but it looks as if when you are searching for a light rifle, you either have to go for a cheapie or spend megabucks.

I will also take the advice given previously and see if I can get her to a club so she can have a look at a few different ones...I just need to find one around newcastle....geordie, any ideas?

cheers all and thanks again for the help.

Trav

plymouth,but from birkenhead on the wirral
    i wish i had your problem of finding a rifle for my wife she hates shooting hunting etc. but has no problem about buying a chicken from asda, but she will not entertain eating a rabbit, wood pigeon etc. i shoot an aa410 carbine and find this isnt to heavy. good luck in your quest

i wouldnt hunt with an SMK rifle, a waste of money too imo for what you want.

i highly reccomned the AAS400, stupidly light (compared to the nice 97k)

they are pretty cheap too.
    I personally dont like the lightning, dont know why i just coundnt get on with it.

best thing do to is get your wife to try a few rifles, just dont let her have a go of the Falcon Ti

Why has no-one recommended the Webley Patriot? Surely it would be perfect for a small-statured lady with weak wrists.

Lionel

Please ignore my contribution above - I'm feeling light-headed.

Lionel

When I started shooting, I was offered the choice between a Daystate PH6 and a S200. Both guns were put in front of me but the PH6 was so superior in build quality and looks that there was only one outcome. The only problem was that the PH6 was in 22 but the current owner has a field day hunting and would not let the rifle go for anything so it found a great home.

The problem for David was that I had set my heart on a MK3 never thinking that it would actually happen. One Christmas, one actually arrived although David did know that it would be too heavy for me. I struggles for a while before putting the problem to Tony Belas and Dave Brayford and so the Bullpup was made. David complains that I really should have not had a MK3 in the first place but even he has to admit that the result is quite something!

I think that to begin with a S200 is best way to go. When she has the measure of the gun, update to a S400 or Daystate Harrier. S200 are not too bad new and when the new Harrier is produced, there are bound to be many put on the second hand market with only a year of shots through so it is worth looking out for them. Springers are all very well but they can be difficult to shut and are not as accurate as the S200. Some have had a hard life as well as some come into Ford in a terrible mess.

I would suggest that she joins a club with some coaching available so there are no bad habits to begin with.

You never know, Bisley might beckon one day!
    Air Wolf, MCT, RWS 500, Daystate Mk3 Bullpup, Huntsman Mk2 Target Rifle, PH6, Anchutz, 7.62 Kongsberg, 7.92 Yugo Mauser and .22 Mauser.

Trav

Whereabouts in Northumberland are you ? I have an AA410 in .177 and an AA S200 in .22 that your good lady can try if you want. The 200 is shortly to be joined by a .177 version. I have some springers as well but most of them will all be too heavy from what you have said. This is the exact same path that my other half and I have travelled. Ideally she wants an underlever springer in .177 which aint very heavy ! Nothing out there of any quality, although I have been playing with a Gamo CF16 with tolerable results. If this is of any help let me know and we can arrange something.

Cheers
    Dave

Its not hitting it with a hammer, its knowing where to hit it and how hard !

the Webley Tomahawk is a lightweight springer or a HW35

Trav Guest
    Ok, I'll answer here in turn.

Lionel: I'm not ignoring any contributions....I'll be having a good look at the webley range and have already got it on my list of things for us to look at.

Samantha: Thanks very much for your thoughts. I was thinking the S200 would be perfect for her. While I was looking for my rifle, I went down much the same track and decided that although I did want a springer, I wanted it for my own reasons. I believe learning how to work with the recoil on a springer will help make me a better shooter in the long run. Whether it does or not remains to be seen, but its entirely up to me. I also realise some people may disagree with me on that point and thats fine too. I was making my own choice.

I wanted a fixed barrel because I know from handgun shooting experience in Australia that because the barrel on a semi auto handgun moves, it is inherently less accurate than a revolver for example. That theory translates as well to air guns as it does to firearms so I didn't want a break barrel. I also wanted a silencer, so that brought the choice fairly neatly down to a HW97k for me. There may be others out there which fit the bill, but the HW has the best reviews and fits the price bracket so that did it for me.

All that said, my wife very definitely isn't me. Whats happened is she has asked me to "find a rifle which would work for her" so I'm following a similar process.

I think what will eventually happen is we will have to start trawling through the second hand rifles and try a few out. I think the AAS200 or AAS410 will land here eventually, but I'm not going to make the decision for her. I want her to enjoy the thing rather than end up dissatisfied because I've made too much of a practical decision.

Bicycle Repair Man: I've sent you an email in response to your post, but just for general info, I'm in Corbridge, near Hexham. Whereabouts are you? Have car, will travel at a mutually convenient time. I am very interested in taking you up on your offer...I'm sure we can supply a few beers and some meat for a BBQ in return for my wife having a couple of hours plinking to get a feel of what she might like. I can't describe how much I appreciate your kindess in making such an offer.

hwtyger: Thanks very much, I'll look into both those. I already know she likes HW gear because she keeps taking mine off me, shooting the target, trying for a second shot, wobbling and getting annoyed because its too heavy. I'll look at the HW35.

thanks to all for replying, I appreciate the input.

Trav

Originally posted by Bicycle Repair Man.
    Trav

Whereabouts in Northumberland are you ? I have an AA410 in .177 and an AA S200 in .22 that your good lady can try if you want. The 200 is shortly to be joined by a .177 version. I have some springers as well but most of them will all be too heavy from what you have said. This is the exact same path that my other half and I have travelled. Ideally she wants an underlever springer in .177 which aint very heavy ! Nothing out there of any quality, although I have been playing with a Gamo CF16 with tolerable results. If this is of any help let me know and we can arrange something.

Cheers
    good on yer mate
    alittle decency on the bbs goes a long way and thats why i *heart* this place so much!

for what its worth my wife has a falcon raptor thumbhole walnut stock and its the 8in vertion unbelievably light and shoots real well

engineer

LagomorphHunter Guest
    I'd also push the BSA Spitfire, HF Carbine.

My son, who's 15, has one. Being that much lighter and shorter, it suits him really well. Its cheap as a good springer, (though you do need a pump). Very accurate, and easy to use.

My wife has a 1946 Mark III Webley with iron sights. She's wicked with it.....

LHunter