Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for the British reguarding BP laws.

If they change the law I'll have to sort out my junk drawer

http://www.robinhewitt.net/junkdrawer.jpg

Is that a Starr DA hiding in the top left, under the box of balls?!!

Impossible to shoot. I have an original bullet mould for it, tried it at 2 yards, shot about 2 feet high. The action is just plain weird

Robin,

Am I right in thinking that's an original Starr D/A, with an original bullet mold..... in your junk box?!!!

Giz it....

Tempting but it really is a horrible design, wouldn't inflict it on anyone I didn't hate. The mould is equally weird but has to be genuine because the bullet nose fits the rammer like a hand in a glove.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    And yet they are legal to own, only if ON firearms certificates.

Jim
    I know what you mean, but to be honest, I don’t have a problem with BP Revolvers being licensed with some of the idiots around who would ‘experiment’ with them. All it takes is for one person to misuse one and BP Revolvers will get banned and spoil it for the rest of us.

What I do have a problem with however, is the fact that I have to get each BP Revolver authorised before I buy one (and pay the Police for the privilege of asking!). Obtaining more than one in the same calibre can also be an issue with some Police Forces.

If the Government believes, through the licensing process, that I am responsible enough to own and shoot a BP Revolver then I can’t understand why I can’t own more on the same license without having to ask. You can own as many shotguns as you like without asking if you have a Shotgun Licence and, in any of the many calibres, shapes, sizes and actions they come in - so why not the same with BP revolvers?
    'Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars'

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    If they change the law I'll have to sort out my junk drawer

http://www.robinhewitt.net/junkdrawer.jpg
    JUNK box???? I'd call that a treasure box! Are there any more originals in there? any Uberties? Can you sell them if you wanted to?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocchip View Post
    It gets even weirder. You could have a matching pair of antique dueling pistols and if you wanted to shoot one you'd have to put in your FAC and keep it locked in your cabinet, but the other one thats not on ticket and not intended to be shot can quite happily be left hanging off your front door.
    That IS weird. It sounds as though the real purpose of the law is to prevent the lawful, law-abiding owner from shooting the pistols, rather than keeping them out of the hands of criminals.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Calibre44 View Post
    I know what you mean, but to be honest, I don’t have a problem with BP Revolvers being licensed with some of the idiots around who would ‘experiment’ with them. All it takes is for one person to misuse one and BP Revolvers will get banned and spoil it for the rest of us.

What I do have a problem with however, is the fact that I have to get each BP Revolver authorised before I buy one (and pay the Police for the privilege of asking!). Obtaining more than one in the same calibre can also be an issue with some Police Forces.

If the Government believes, through the licensing process, that I am responsible enough to own and shoot a BP Revolver then I can’t understand why I can’t own more on the same license without having to ask. You can own as many shotguns as you like without asking if you have a Shotgun Licence and, in any of the many calibres, shapes, sizes and actions they come in - so why not the same with BP revolvers?
    Excellent point: especially so since modern shotguns have greater potential for criminal abuse than any BP firearms.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk674 View Post
    JUNK box???? I'd call that a treasure box! Are there any more originals in there? any Uberties? Can you sell them if you wanted to?
    No, it's all just junk, and if you ship it to me, I'll gladly throw it all away for you.

Jim