Thread: It's time they were Seperated

Thumbs up It's time they were Seperated

Fire Arms and Air Arms

I've yet to read anywhere, that Air Guns (Air Arms) are to be seperated from Fire Arms in legal terms.

There is no relation whatsoever in the propellent of an Air Gun to the Propellent in a Fire Arm.

The term, "Fire" in amaments suggests some form of ignition as a proppellent. Whereas "Air" speaks for itself.

I'm constantly dumbfounded that people in places of influence, BASC, the politicians (Home office), the police and any other boddy connected to the Fire Arms legislation Control on Fire Arms consultation. Hasn't the tiniest piece of brain that says to them, hang on a minute were concerned with Fire Arms not Pellet guns.

It's time Airguns had their own legislation. Seperate from Fire Arms.

If some one is up in front of no brain "Beak" just because their Air Gun is a piggling couple of lb/ft over the legal limit. He/she is classed the same as some drug crazed nut with an UZZI, "being in possession of an illegal Fire Arm".

Even if it's 50 lb/ft over the legal limit. It will never be a Fire Arm. It will allways be an Air Arm.

Doesn't anyone up there have a brain?

It's time Air Arms were seperated from Fire Arms in the legal sense.

Don't you think?

Ray

draftsmann Guest
    I agree there is a lot of nonsense in British firearms law, but being blunt I think it is pointless being hung up over terminology.

Like it or not "Firearm" is a generic term denoting lethal barreled weapon, irrespective of propulsion system. And given that there is a crossover where the most powerful air powered weapons have more muzzle energy than some less powerful powder burners, I think hell will freeze over before there is any more differentiation than exists at present.

Adrian

what you expect

from a bunch of bean counting shiny bums i have no faith in them at all whatever they say.
    one small point though has anyone ever heard of say
    1) someone going on a killing spree down town with a springer?
    2) robbing the local branch of the high street bank armed with their webley?
    i just cant see it myself .but then again what the hell do i know im a gardener!

Ravenskull Guest

Re: what you expect

Originally posted by si72

one small point though has anyone ever heard of say someone robbing the local branch of the high street bank armed with their webley?
    err, somone near me (now in residence at strangeways) tried to do over the local post office with a B2 last year- needless to say, he got a kicking off the customers, who sat on him til the police finally arrived- 25mins after the alarm was triggered.

Britain isn't the only place where airguns are bundled with the propellant burning guns as far as control and legislation goes.

Spain is another one, f'rinstance.