Thread: situation with muzzle loaders

situation with muzzle loaders

Hello all,
    what is the situation with muzzle loaders.
    do they require fac certificate?
    was reading my gun diges and seen some lovely stuff.
    thanks

Wall hangers (antiques for display only, by & large) need no cert. UNLESS you want to shoot them in which case you DO need a certificate:

• For muzzle loading pistols FAC required. Usual FAC storage rules.
    • For muzzle loading rifles FAC required. Usual FAC storage rules.
    • For muskets (smooth bored) SGC required. Usual shotgun storage rules.

In addition, if you use 'real' black powder licences ar needed for this plus an approved storage box. The black powder 'sustitutes' - Pyrodex and Triple 7 - are licence and specific storage arrangements free.

Hope this helps.

hi

thanks a lot,
    you have ansewred every thing i wanted to know.
    thank you verry much

If you keep a gun as curiosity or ornament you can shoot it but only very infrequently. If it's smooth bored, barrel over 24" from muzzle to point of ignition, you can lend it, as any shotgun, to someone with a shotgun certificate for up to 72 hours without paperwork and they can shoot it. If you have a shotgun certificate you can probably lend it to yourself. If it's rifled or short barrelled you can still fire it infrequently without putting it on your FAC, but it's home orifice approved ranges only.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    What's the difference between a range that's "home office approved", and one that isn't?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    What's the difference between a range that's "home office approved", and one that isn't?
    Not approved is private land, shotguns/airguns.

Home office approved means you can shoot anything it's been approved for.

Then there's private land with a Ghillie. I think you are okay if you are accompanied by someone with an open FAC, but I'm not hugely clear how that works on account of I'm working class and can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Not approved is private land, shotguns/airguns.

Home office approved means you can shoot anything it's been approved for.

Then there's private land with a Ghillie. I think you are okay if you are accompanied by someone with an open FAC, but I'm not hugely clear how that works on account of I'm working class and can't afford it.

Do you mean that a farmer must have his own land approved in order to shoot anything other than an airgun or shotgun on it?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post

Do you mean that a farmer must have his own land approved in order to shoot anything other than an airgun or shotgun on it?

Jim
    You are talking of two different things Jim

In your example above new shooters are expected to have land checked and categorised by the police for what ever calibre they plan on using, this restriction is normally lifted after 12 months.

Home Office Appoval is a process purely for proper target shooting ranges, and carried out by the army to make sure backstops and danger areas are suitable for the calibres proposed. This process does not apply to farmland.

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Thanks for replys,
    topic is getting verry interesting for a newbie like me..

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    You are talking of two different things Jim

In your example above new shooters are expected to have land checked and categorised by the police for what ever calibre they plan on using, this restriction is normally lifted after 12 months.

Home Office Appoval is a process purely for proper target shooting ranges, and carried out by the army to make sure backstops and danger areas are suitable for the calibres proposed. This process does not apply to farmland.

Richard
    Gotcha, Richard, thank you!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    ...I'm working class and can't afford it.
    You told us in another post that you are a `rich SOB`, - you can`t be both...so which is it?

tac

Approval of a range is no longer by MOD. You can shoot on a range that has adequate insurance cover. Insurers generally insist inspection by an NRA inspector though most will accept previous MOD approval.

Te occasional use is an interesting one. I have seen mention of people having antiques and being allowed to fire a few shots even mentioned in Hansard reports but can't find it in any of the firearms acts or ammendments. Some have approach FLO's who have said categorically no way.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Jim, land has to be cleared by the police for what type of shooting you want to do on it. Much of the UK has already been assesed and is in the database though some authorities like to do a field walk.

Mostly its up to the shooter to explian their lines of fire, backstops and a knowledge of spots where it might be a danger to shoot. Again insurance is expected.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane