• Leave it as it is.

11 64.71%
  • Change to the proposed criteria

6 35.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed change of targets for the UBC Competitions

Proposed change of targets for the UBC Competitions

Hi

After October, I am thinking of changing the targets. I know the term "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" However my spead sheet finishes in October so.

My next spread sheet could be changed to:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...istolSheet.jpg

3 targets, two in the attachment & our excisting one(only shoot two of the four targets) Which will equate the maximum of 200 points.

The Cookie & Bug targets are from 'Target Bunny' site.

>HERE<

All other rules & times would be the same.

The rules :

Type: Spring Pistol / Single Stroke Pistol / Co2 /PCP (to be stated when submitting score).

Sights: Open sights only

Targets: Cookie, Bug & Two of the excisting 4 bull target

Stance: Cookie, Bug & One Bull target two handed
    ....One Bull target one handed

Range: Set at 6yds (That is the longest I can shoot in the back garden)

Shots: 10/15 practice shots,
    ..5 each shots for the double target,
    ..10 shots for the Cookie target ( only seven cherrys so need to hit 3 cherrys twice for miximum score)
    ..10 shots for the Bug target

Date: Anytime in the first week of every month.

Scoring: If the pellet breaks into two points i.e 8 & 9, you score the highest number for the double bull target.
    .....Follow the rules on the two other targets, which are already printed on them.

Final scores: PM me with scores by the end of the competion Saturday 23:00.
    (earlier the better, so I can keep up to date easier)

Update scores: I'll put on a Results thread Sunday.

I've put a poll, so the majority will go whether to change it or keep it as it is.

Regards
    Paddy
    Last edited by Pad. E; 07-07-2008 at 01:47 PM.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    Hi

After October, I am thinking of changing the targets. I know the term "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    Then again "a change is as good as a rest"

Sounds fun, I'm up for it, How about TB designs a couple of Christmas targets for December. (what am i like it's July and i'm talking Christmas)

Incase of an equal amount of votes I suggest Paddy gets the casting vote.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Paddy, have you got a link to the new targets?

Cheers

John
    Last edited by Snooper601; 07-07-2008 at 01:34 PM.
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    Paddy, have you got a link to the new targets?

Cheers

John
    Hi John.

I forget to mention that the link for the other targets are from 'Target Bunny' site.

>HERE<

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Hi Paddy, I feel that the new targets deserve their own competition, but the main problem using them with a gun set up for the normal pistol targets, bull style, is that aim points are completely different.

The standard way of shooting regulation pistol targets is to aim the pistol so that the flat sight line formed by the notch and blade is placed under the whole black part of the target, i.e. it is as though a black ball is sitting on top of a flat line, usually so that the line of the 6 ring is on the flat line, depending on your ability to see that line, and this leaves a small gap between the ball and line which is easier to judge.
    This would mean that you would need to aim off by the distance from the centre of the bull to the outer edge of the black part to hit the new targets, otherwise you would be off by that distance above each target.

If anyone is shooting the main comp using the flat line bisecting the black bull, I suggest that you re-zero using the ball on the line idea and your scores will improve.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Very Good point John, hadn't thought about having to re-zero.

Good idea Paddy, we may have to have a re-think on it.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Hi Paddy, I feel that the new targets deserve their own competition, but the main problem using them with a gun set up for the normal pistol targets, bull style, is that aim points are completely different.

The standard way of shooting regulation pistol targets is to aim the pistol so that the flat sight line formed by the notch and blade is placed under the whole black part of the target, i.e. it is as though a black ball is sitting on top of a flat line, usually so that the line of the 6 ring is on the flat line, depending on your ability to see that line, and this leaves a small gap between the ball and line which is easier to judge.
    This would mean that you would need to aim off by the distance from the centre of the bull to the outer edge of the black part to hit the new targets, otherwise you would be off by that distance above each target.

If anyone is shooting the main comp using the flat line bisecting the black bull, I suggest that you re-zero using the ball on the line idea and your scores will improve.

Cheers

John
    Cheers John.

Thanks for the information. Hope that will help me in the coming months

Just thought of doing something different after October.

I could do a side shoot alongside the exsisting comp, perhaps?

But I'll wait & see what the general consensus will be.

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

I was going to wait until I got home and then draft a reply talking about 6oClock point of aim and holding sight picture but I think that John's post above pretty much covers it.

I too would be happy to participate in a different competition using targets such as those suggested, it would even be an excuse to use a different pistol zeroed to point of aim at six yards.

Cheers

Pete
    Plot ?... What Plot ?... I thought you had it !!
    Good Deals with Good Folks

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!

Pistol Comp

Any chance of allowing scopes Pad? I don't mean rifle scopes with short eye relief, so you can shoot a pistol like a rifle, but handgun scopes where you have to hold it at arms length to see through the scope?

I really fancy entering but don't want to have to whip my scope off to re-zero every month and my eyes aren't good enough to focus open sights and a target until I get them lasered.

Ryan
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    Any chance of allowing scopes Pad? I don't mean rifle scopes with short eye relief, so you can shoot a pistol like a rifle, but handgun scopes where you have to hold it at arms length to see through the scope?

I really fancy entering but don't want to have to whip my scope off to re-zero every month and my eyes aren't good enough to focus open sights and a target until I get them lasered.

Ryan

Hi Ryan.

With the current comp it's only open sights, at first it was only one category until someone mentioned about different accuracies with different guns. So to keep the peace I split the categories up . I think allowing scopes would again open up a can of worms

However, if & if the consensus is to keep the comp as it is. I could do what Peter agrees's & do a side shoot. Now the side shoot could be an open category with whatever sights?

I think I should be a Diplomat

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Diplomat

Hi Ryan.

With the current comp it's only open sights, at first it was only one category until someone mentioned about different accuracies with different guns. So to keep the peace I split the categories up . I think allowing scopes would again open up a can of worms

However, if & if the consensus is to keep the comp as it is. I could do what Peter agrees's & do a side shoot. Now the side shoot could be an open category with whatever sights?

Regards
    Paddy.
    Good enough for me mate, I'll await the side shoot results.

Ryan
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    The standard way of shooting regulation pistol targets is to aim the pistol so that the flat sight line formed by the notch and blade is placed under the whole black part of the target - This would mean that you would need to aim off
    John
    Whilst this is all true - some of us (me) have to aim off anyway when using a one handed hold as opposed to a two handed hold....

I not fussed what we do as I enjoy the competition for the sake of personal improvement and out of interest to see how bad I am

I think it might be fun to throw in a few 'wildcard' matches from time to time to... (a) stop it being repetitive or getting boring (b) make it more of a 'general' shooting skills competition and (c) make John fight outside of his comfort zone (not that I expect to mount a realistic challange to his reign)

Pistol Packing John

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post

I think it might be fun to throw in a few 'wildcard' matches from time to time to... (a) stop it being repetitive or getting boring (b) make it more of a 'general' shooting skills competition and (c) make John fight outside of his comfort zone (not that I expect to mount a realistic challange to his reign)
    He got taken out of his comfort zone yesterday at Shepreth in the pistol HFT, oh yes! If he's lucky I might even give him some coaching next time. He came out with all sorts of excuses too, from not being zero'd to harmonica sales in western mongolia falling to record lows!

Ryan

Hi Paddy...like John my pistols are sighted "below the black" (still shoot rubbish though ) that's why I prefer the original comp.
    I do like the idea of the sideshoot though with various targets and it could be open to all pistols with any sighting arrangement providing it's arms length of course...I can then use my Falcon FN6 & red dot combo
    More work for you though m8 so can understand you might not want another comp.
    Regards....Eric.

Dip-lomaniac ;-)

Hi Ryan.

Regards
    Paddy.
    I like the idea of that, 2 comps and the second with choice of sights

Tony.
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)