Thread: Weaver Rail

Weaver Rail

A question for the techies among us.
    First part. What is the function of the grooves running across most Weaver rails ?
    Second part. Anybody know where to find dimensions of said rail ?
    I have recently aquired a NV Scope and whilst I have got it mounted I would like to try making some sort of mount to take sight and a lazer. This exercise is purely for my own amazement rather than any commercial aspirations.I have access to a lathe and milling machine so machining the basic rail shape is not a problem if I could find a website with some drawings or dimensions. I have searched on every possible combination of words I can think of to no avail, can anyone help ?
    Dave

Its not hitting it with a hammer, its knowing where to hit it and how hard !

Dave,

I've got a spare rail in the house there you can borrow to use for your measurements, just give me a shout if it'll help!

ATB,

Dan

Gary C Guest
    BRM

The weaver is the same basic configuration as a dovetail in that there are 2 outside clamps onto a mount. However with the weaver the tightening screw has a square section which fits between the slots and so only allows the mount to be fitted in this location. This stops scope creep and also (in theory) allows scope removal and replacement without losing zero, especially useful if swapping NV and Day scopes.

I don't have dims to hand, sorry

Dan

That would be excellent thanks. I will be in touch.

Gary C

All is clear now thankyou. My new NV toy does not have any square bits on the clamp screws but it does have two sets of holes across the mount sideplates which appear to be about 3mm below the top of the rail. I assume these will line up with the slots in the rail so a stop block could be fitted. I have no doubt it will be evident when I borrow Dan's rail to measure
    Dave

Chilly Guest
    Bicycle Repair Man if it's not to much trouble could you,when you have the dimensions, send me them please
    I have a friend with all the kit to make a weaver rail for me but we're just short of the dimensions

Would you have any suggestions on what material to use for the rail?

Keef Guest
    The Weaver rail is nothing like a dovetail, totally different profile and size.
    If you fancy trying to make one from scratch the dimensions are at

http://www.biggerhammer.net/picatinny/

The US Army calls then Picatinny rails but they are essentially the same.

There are normally two configurations for the mount. The most common uses a clamping screw throgh the mount that has a square section in the centre portion. This square sits in the slots in the rail. The second which is used on the B Square mounts is a central peg that is reversable so that it can be engaged in a slot or reversed so that the mount is not secured in the slot.

I have an NS 156 mount in at the moment and it definitely does not have a weaver/picatinny rail on it. I also have a Kite mount in and neither does that.

Chilly Guest
    Thanks for the link Keef

bennyblanco Guest
    chilly, i have a bit i loped off the end of my weaver rail. will be going to ben tailors on saturday if you want it. i might be interested in what your friend can make as well. will be a quick trip mind, work in the morning and fa cup and beer in the afternoon. please thank your couson for the good work he did for CUFC, top bloke

Thanks for that link Keef. I now have Geordie's spare rail to measure and the drawing. Cant go wrong really ! I managed to produce a section of rail that fits the scope mounts this afternoon from a piece of alloy plate of unknown provenance. (Geordies rail is steel) The groove dimensions are just what I need to finish it off. I will post some pics when i get it to a workable state
    Dave

nice one mate

Clever bugger is Dave

Gary C Guest
    Originally posted by Keef
    The Weaver rail is nothing like a dovetail, totally different profile and size.
    If you fancy trying to make one from scratch the dimensions are at

http://www.biggerhammer.net/picatinny/

The US Army calls then Picatinny rails but they are essentially the same.

There are normally two configurations for the mount. The most common uses a clamping screw throgh the mount that has a square section in the centre portion. This square sits in the slots in the rail. The second which is used on the B Square mounts is a central peg that is reversable so that it can be engaged in a slot or reversed so that the mount is not secured in the slot.

I have an NS 156 mount in at the moment and it definitely does not have a weaver/picatinny rail on it. I also have a Kite mount in and neither does that.
    You haven't time to waste on here young man - get back to the workshop and get my mount made !