Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10x42 Sniper Scopes

Barrie_G is offline It could be worse...............................

10x42 Sniper Scopes

There are a few10x42 Sniper Scopes about now Nikko Sterling, and Deben to name just two, all at a similar price as I am looking to buy a new scope in the next few weeks I was just wondering if any of these are of better quality than the others or are they all pretty much the same?

Or will I be better off with a 3-9x40 scope for general use?

Barrie, for general 'all round use' I'd get something with a little higher mag, like 4-16. The SS's about are all in the same ball park, great for HFT, but not suited for paper punching.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

According to Sid, the Tasco variant has the best optics of the lot.

Rustam

I use the EB version with sidewheel PA - it's the dog's danglies!

BoNeS Guest
    i have to disagree with sid the tascos are not consistently good optics i use an eb

the eb ones all seem to be excellent and are a little easier to deal with if anything goes wrong

Barrie,

It depends what you want to use this scope for, it is perfect for HFT and I also use it for general hunting.

From my experience the Edgar Brothers Sniper 10x42 has the finest reticle, the Nikko has quite thick 'posts' and so does the Tasco. I have not seen the Deben DMP/Mil-Pro. I like the rear PA on the Nikko and the Tasco SS though.

Optically they are all very similar and very clear as they are probably all made in one factory in Japan (Hakko? Asia Optical?). These scopes are not too good in low light though, althoug a lot better than some cheap chinese stuff... and the scope is quite heavy...

I will second Dave's opinion, if I was after one for general application I would look at the Deben DMP (now Hawke Mil Pro) 4-16x56 or something along these lines, made to the same spec as the snipers but with variable magnification... Nice scopes

Its to go on my MFR so I'm trying to find a good scope to replace the WTC 3.5-10x40 that is on there now, but I'm looking for something with a 40mm objective (or thereabouts) so that I don't need to get the risers for the mounts (I just dont like the look of them and I like a low mounted scope) otherwise I would have put my 3-9x50 VXII on it.

It will be used mainly for informal target shooting and the odd hunting trip.

Do MFRs have fixed mounts? I thought they were all dovetailed these days..

Reason I ask - Snipers have 30mm tubes, so will the mounts be compatible?

In that case then have a gander at the Prohunter 6-18x40WA, Hawke Varmints or if you've a bigger budget, the Elite 4200 range from Byshnell are excellent scopes.
    Rgds,
    Dave.

Gary C Guest
    Simmons Mag 44 mil dot I/R

Hi Geordie, yes the MFR has fixed mounts but you can get the 30mm mounts for the rapid range from BAR.

Davestate, funny that you should mention the Bushnell Elite range as even though my funds wont quite stretch to the 4200 I had been looking at the elite 3200 4-12x40 as this has parallax correction from 10 yards.

Another question, has anyone used the Opticswarehouse before and if so what are they like to deal with?

I cant talk about the other variants but the EB is top notch,
    HTH

BTW mine is mounted on a MK1 Rapid, no probs there
    Last edited by rayowl; 19-05-2004 at 04:40 PM.

Barrie,
    There's a post in the sale sales section of all places commending their service.
    I have just ordered an Elite from D&R as recommended by many users on this, and other, forum/s (half price than available over here).
    Rgds,
    Dave.

I'm just starting to order off the web I don't think I'm quite brave enough to order from "over the pond" just yet, so I'll just have to pay the premium for ordering from a uk business.

Snapshot. Guest
    Originally posted by Barrie_G
    Davestate, funny that you should mention the Bushnell Elite range as even though my funds wont quite stretch to the 4200 I had been looking at the elite 3200 4-12x40 as this has parallax correction from 10 yards.

Another question, has anyone used the Opticswarehouse before and if so what are they like to deal with?
    I bought exactly this scope from Opticswarehouse for my MFR. I ordered on-line on a Wednesday evening and it arrived at about 09:30 on the Friday. Can't use the free Butler Creek on the front as there isn't room but it's a seriously nice scope.

Jonathan