Thread: I love my BSA Scorpion pistols

I love my BSA Scorpion pistols

I want to say thanks to those who gave me information on rebuilding my BSA Scorpion pistols. I bought a used 22 caliber and liked it so much I found a 177 to go with it. I have had two Beeman P1 pistols but just never liked the way they shot. I also didn't like the cocking stroke. But, from the first shot, I loved the Scorpion. With the cocking aid, the Scorpion is easy to cock. And, with the forward motion piston, it seems easier to shoot than a P1 (HW45). I may try to make a Buckaneer styled stock for one of my Scorpions.

I also saw in some old literature that BSA had a Paratrooper model. Was it made on a Scorpion or Meteor action? The literature said it had a 12" barrel and was rated at 610 fps. I am guessing that it is a cut down Meteor with a Scorpion trigger group.

My rebuilds went smoothly once I finally removed the circlips. One came of in a few minutes and the other took several hours to remove. I was sure glad to get it off.

Thanks again for the help,

David Enoch

I had a Scorpion as kid, it was great, but I decided I'd take it apart to have a look I never did find some of the pieces

Iv'e still got one in .177 that I got for my 14th birthday in the 70s, I tried to use it the other month it fires ok but is SO stiff to cock. anyone know how to fix the problem?

It probably just needs a relube, although if you've never had it apart before now it is likely that the shock-absorbing washer on the piston head has gone hard, it could have split or gone hard and be pressing against the inside of the cylinder causing extra friction. If it's not been shot for a long time I would replace the piston head ring, the buffer washer and the breech seal too, as well as giving it a thorough clean and a relube with modern lubricants. Helston Gunsmiths sell springs for Scorpions, I fitted one for someone recently and after settling in it was doing 5.7 ft/lbs! I love Scorpions, I have a .177 and a .22. The .177 has had a hard life but after a refurb it shoots very nicely, I love it!

Those old piston bushings need to be replaced

On the two Scorpion pistols I took apart, both had deteriorated piston bushings. One one gun the bushing crumbled like dirt. Half of it was gone and was gumming up everything else. On the other, the bushing was intact but had become soft and felt like wax. A small bit of it was lodged in the transfer port partially blocking it.

On both guns the original piston O-rings were in good shape but since I had bought replacements, I went ahead and changed them anyway. The breech seals on both guns had to be replaced.

I replaced the main springs on both guns. The new springs were about 1 1/4 inch longer than the old springs. I know the new springs will take a set too after they have been in the gun for a while.

On one of my guns the breech locking lug needed lubing as it was binding and making it difficult to break the action open. When I had the guns apart, I put moly anywhere I could except for using silicone on the piston seal. I used oil on places that I couldn't reach with the moly such as the cocking linkage.

After my tune, the 22 caliber was shooting about 415 fps with 14.3 grain pellets. The 177 is shooting about 500 fps with 7.9 grain pellets. I am hoping they will pick up a little velocity as they break in.

David Enoch

When I fitted the Helston Gunsmiths spring, the first shots after reassembly were just over 5.9 ft/lbs but over the following thirty of forty shots it settled down to around 5.7 ft/lbs which I felt was fine. It might have dropped a little more as the lubricants settled down, but as I had used Chain Wax on the spring, Moly Paste on the piston and cylinder, it was hardly deiselling at all, so I'm hoping it was stable about 5.6 ft/lbs. The chap I did it for was really pleased with it, it was still sweet and nice to shoot despite the high power.

Look like mine needs more than a lube, it will have to it untill I have more time.