Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ev2 best pellet?

jsb 4.51s seem to work well

I certainly will report back Neil (and Finners), can't wait to try them but ... they're going to have to be 'spot on' to match or beat the accuracy of Mozzies through my EV2. A.A 4.52's are almost as good, providing you sort them.

Anyway, to contribute something to the original topic of this thread - there are two Mk.I EV2 and now four Mk.II EV2 owners at the Iceni club and the concensus seems to be, "Don't overclean the (EV2) barrel," for optimum accuracy leave some (a little) filth behind, it's wholesome.

Regards ... Geek
    Last edited by Gungeek; 12-08-2008 at 11:20 AM.
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

anyone tried prems 7.9 through the ev2? i seem to get good results with them
    You tube channel bassmanrich44 2000 subscribers and counting! 5000 now

8.44gr JSB Exacts(4.52) in my EV2 MK2...

But I know of others that prefer 7.9gr JSB Express(4.52)...

Regards,

Tony

Thumbs up EV2 Mk.II - Mosquitos versus Defiants

Yesterday, a box of 1000, 4.52mm Defiants came crashing through the letter box. After inspection, no apparent damage but some must have suffered. Anyway, to work. Setup a 'Skan' Pro 1 Series 3 chronoscope in the garden shed ready for testing. Since, this season, I've mostly been using 7.9gr Webley Mosquito Express in the EV2 Mk.II, decided to do them first.

The rifle had 160 bar of air, so I shot five into the ground before shooting a string of ten through the chrono. I didn't record the individual results because they weren't what I was expecting. An extreme spread of 13 fps in the range 795 - 808 fps, worse results than the last time I chrono'd with Mozzies. My first thought was, does the rifle need servicing, second, which batch of pellets have I just used - I have Mozzies from two different batches. I bought ten tins from B.A.R. a few weeks ago and 'won' a few more from a mate, as part payment in a deal.

So, I tried the other batch of Mozzies (bought from B.A.R.), here are the results: 816, 816, 821, 817, 814, 817, 814, 814, 816, 823, extreme spread 9 fps, average 818 fps. These results are what I was expecting (if a bit high) and I believe, demonstrate acceptable consistency for an "off the shelf" rifle. Fortunately, anti-tamper measures haven't been applied to the transfer port adjuster on my EV2 Mk.II, so I can turn the power down when necessary.

This also shows Mosquitos have gone the same way as the other JSB variants, i.e. inconsistency of manufacture. You have to look at it in perspective though, I used the 'undersize' batch of Mozzies last weekend in the Essex 50 competition (at East Tilbury & Linford FTC club) and secured second place, in rather windy conditions. So the rifle still shoots them accurately but at a slightly lower M.V. compared to the better batch. There is a noticeable difference between the two batches when pushing the loading probe home, best performance comes from the tighter fitting pellets.

Now, the Defiants. For anybody who hasn't seen these pellets in real life, they are jewel like in appearance, shiny and clean, and a different shape to normal 'waisted' dome-headed pellets. After hand-pumping the rifle to 170 bar, I setup a cardboard box at the bottom of the garden at 13 yards - a convenient distance from the comfort of the bamboo-framed sofa in the summer house (yeah I know, I'm full of it) and commenced shooting Defiants into the box.

With the rifle zeroed at 35 yards using Mozzies, after about five or six Defiants through the barrel the point of impact settled to almost exactly the same spot as I would have expected if using Mozzies and it was drilling them 'pellet on pellet' time after time, with no random deviations. The feel, when loading, is they're slightly tighter in the barrel than the better batch of Mozzies mentioned above. Through the chrono, the following results were obtained: 826, 833, 824, 826, 826, 824, 826, 833, 824, 829, extreme spread 9 fps, average 828 fps. On the face of it, another pleasing set of results, boding well for the necessary range accuracy and consistency testing to come.

Even if Defiants prove to be 'as accurate as' Mosquitos, I won't immediately switch to using them, not when I have 13 tins of Mozzies in the cupboard, I'll finish those off first. Assuming Defiants prove to be reliably consistent and accurate, I'll first use them in a club competition and it may yet prove useful to have a 'high speed' pellet if the rifle suffers significant power loss in the winter cold.

Though it's too soon to finalise a conclusion, Defiants are looking good through my EV2 Mk.II, they may work well through yours. Don't you have to try them, or what.

Regards .... Geek
    Last edited by Gungeek; 14-08-2008 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Correction to grammar.
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Nice one Paul

Hi Paul, the reason the Defiants look like jewels and are very shiny is, they are coated in PTFE. I would recommend washing them in white spirit to remove the PTFE from them, then try the test again.

Very consistent results for you there mate, and well done for second place.

ATB. Neil.

Thanks Neil. I didn't know about Defiants being coated in PTFE. I'll have to try them after being washed, because generally my EV2 is less consistent with normal lubricated pellets. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon