Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .177 vs .22 for target shooting.

Zanx Guest

.177 vs .22 for target shooting.

Looking to buy myself a cheap rifle (AGS probably) Uttings are doing some good package deals on .22 SR2's, I was wondering if there was any major disadvantage to having a .22 for target shooting rather than a .177. I won't be shooting vermin (unless they're carrying bolt croppers and turn up in a Transit).

figjam Guest

watch and shoot...!in your own time carry on.....

here it comes......you should never ask that question on here...lol

im going to sit back and watch the replies this thread gets!

rgds

kenny!

Zanx Guest

Re: watch and shoot...!in your own time carry on.....

Originally posted by figjam
    here it comes......you should never ask that question on here...lol

im going to sit back and watch the replies this thread gets!

rgds

kenny!

If it's been done to death can you point me in the right direction (the thread), I know there's nothing more tiresome than a noob asking the same questions that countless noobs have asked before.

From what I've read, the only real difference is the pellet speed and trajectory.

If there's still life in it and I can learn a thing or two then er....fire away.

figjam Guest

trial and error mate!

its like choosing a car?

theres no point asking somebody, you may not like it!

of course the main differance is youve narrowed it down to a choice of 2!

(here comes my tuppence worth)

if you want to shoot anyform of target then buy a .177(flatter trajectory, blah blah blah).

if you want to shoot targets and quarry, buy a .22 (greater amount of shots and better smacking power). down side is the trajectory!

but dont listen to me, thats just my opinion!

go down to your local club where you will be made welcome and im sure the members will gladly let you try there rifles, then you can decide after trying not just callibres but differant rifles aswell!

rgds

kenny

So sorry, guys, but when it comes to sheer ballistics, and to practicality, the .22 is actually more accurate.

I use .177 myself because it gives me a greater chance of a hit when I don't get the range quite right. That's why FT people use .177, simply because of the extreme ranges. If FT was set at 30- 40 yards, you would see .22 rule the roost, simply because of windage.

If you take it at extreme ranges, like 50 yards, the .22 is dropping like a stone, but will almost certainly in the open air give a tighter group than the .177.

That's my observation; so tell me I'm wrong, people.

Your wrong Frank.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

Snapshot. Guest
    Zanx, for formal target shooting i.e. 10 metres or 6 yards, .177 is the only calibre allowed. If you're not doing that then there's no other restriction. I would personally go with .177 as it's more forgiving on rangefinding as others have already said and the pellets are cheaper.

Jonathan

DJP Guest
    I've found that springers in 177 tend to have a harsher firing cycle/more recoil than their 22 counterparts - and that in itself can make it harder to achieve close groups with a 177 springer.

Because of that, with something like an AGS I'd go for 22 everytime.

For around the same money I'd also consider the HW99S, or better still, pay the extra for an HW95K - probably the best 12fpe break barrel around.

And I'd still go for 22 with either of the above.

I'm actually a 177 fan but with the kind of rifle you're considering I honestly think you'd find 22 generally more satisfactory.

(But if you were buying a PCP or a TX200 I'd say get a 177 - but you ain't so I won't! )
    Last edited by DJP; 24-05-2004 at 07:32 AM.

Don't forget the cost.

.177 about £1 a tin cheaper than .22 to do the same job, target plinking.

Ray

Snapshot. Guest
    DJP, if we're ever at Cobham at the same time I'll introduce you to my Longbow in .177. Okay, it's not a budget gun but it served me very nicely in yesterday's event at LV after really minimal running in.

Jonathan

Gary C Guest
    same old question same old answers.

Given a level playing field the .177 rules every time simply because with an airgun trajectory is usually the killer as our range estimation is less than perfect.

This makes it the king gun for target shooting and arguably more effective for hunting as it gives you a much greater chance of a hit.

DJP's argument on quality and sweetness is a very valid one.

IMHO the difference in price between a tatty springer and a good quality one - you can pick up a TX200 2nd hand on here for £180, makes it foolish to buy a "cheap" gun.

In that case if I were you I'd be looking at a .177 TX200 carbine, or if you can stretch to a pre-charged a Falcon or S200 2nd hand are about for <£220.

Zanx Guest
    Originally posted by Gary C
    same old question same old answers.

Given a level playing field the .177 rules every time simply because with an airgun trajectory is usually the killer as our range estimation is less than perfect.

This makes it the king gun for target shooting and arguably more effective for hunting as it gives you a much greater chance of a hit.

DJP's argument on quality and sweetness is a very valid one.

IMHO the difference in price between a tatty springer and a good quality one - you can pick up a TX200 2nd hand on here for £180, makes it foolish to buy a "cheap" gun.

In that case if I were you I'd be looking at a .177 TX200 carbine, or if you can stretch to a pre-charged a Falcon or S200 2nd hand are about for <£220.
    Thanks for your replies, invaluable.

Gary, seeing as you appear to have a grip on second hand prices, how about a secondhand (2000 shots fired) AA Pro Sport .22 with basic Tasco scope? Seller is asking £250 but there are alot of bargains around right now that would make £250 look a little steep. Whaddya reckon?

Gary C Guest
    Supply and demand.

There's a pro sport for sale on the board at the moment for £250. There are not many others that I've seen. If you look at the new price and take 60 to 65% you will get a fair 2nd hand price.
    This varies on collectability of the model and condition, but even minters won't sell for a lot more.

Again I repeat my advice - if you buy a .22 for target shooting you will be disappointed. Look at the HFT scoreboards. I'm sure FT is no different.

Also a low mag scope is not really what you want. A decent cheap 2nd hand scope - say a 3-10 Hawke Varmint mil dot - can be picked up for £50.

Gary C Guest
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....5&pagenumber=2

TX in .177. I know the guy selling it and he's a top lad.

The pro-sport gets a bit of stick in some circles for not being too robust but some like it.

There is also the HW series.

Ultimately you should try at a club to shoot a few

Originally posted by franktheferret
    That's why FT people use .177, simply because of the extreme ranges. If FT was set at 30- 40 yards, you would see .22 rule the roost, simply because of windage.

That's my observation; so tell me I'm wrong, people.
    Most of the people that shoot HFT (to 45 yards max) would disagree with you.

Dave.