Thread: HW90 questions

HW90 questions

I was toying with the idea of buying a HW90 in .177 but would like the answers to some questions.

1 The model sold here in Switzerland has 30 joules = approx 22 foot pounds how does it shoot at this power level?

2 Under accessories there is a pump do I need one?

3 Does a gas ram like heavy pellets as recomended for PCP's or light ones as for a springer

Any answers much appreciated
    Steve
    Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Well, in .177 they shoot very nice at about 17 FP ! That was using 8.44 grain JSB pellets.

At higher power levels you will need 10 grain or above pellets to keep it together, and to prevent them going supersonic....

For an HW90, it may also be worth considering .20 or .22 calibres, as it can easily drive a 16 grain .22 at over 800 fps, so still a very good trajectory...

HTH - JB

PS Pump is only need to increase the power, usefull, but not essential - I just have an adapter and conenct it to a dive bottle - have to be VERY carefull though as the pressure is realtively low - around 20 BAR...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks I use H+N FTT's and Baracuda in my 77K at 16 foot pounds so the Baracuda would be OK to start off with.
    Steve
    Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

domestos Guest
    I have one of these in 0.177 and have tried many combinations on pellet and power.
    At a ram pressure of 22bar it puts out about 19.5 ft/lb with 10.6grain barracudas but its not so easy to shoot straight.
    at a ram pressure of 18bar its shoots barracudas at 16 ft/lb and handles much easier, also the stock screws stay tighter for longer and your scope will probably last a bit longer.
    I also use h+n final match at the lower power at close range (under 25m) to very good effect on ferals and rats.
    HTH
    Alex

Re: HW90 questions

Originally posted by Livesley165710

1 The model sold here in Switzerland has 30 joules = approx 22 foot pounds how does it shoot at this power level?

Any answers much appreciated
    Steve
    I had one in the past, .22 FAC rated. didn't have a chrono then. Built quality absolutely great and a heavyweight. As far as accuracy is concerned it was no match for my FAC rated HW80 but that was of course a completely different gun. The beauty of the HW90 was that one can leave it cocked and reset its safely as one pleases.

Later on I had the prepressure of the gasram reduces and is was running at about 18 FPE I found it a much better gun from the accuracy point of view.

Len
    Theory Men: They all know how it should work but it doesn't
    Practice Men: Everything works but nobody knows how

DM80 Guest
    I have found in the past if you put to much pressure in the ram of the HW90 the cocking shoe tends to break on cocking & then the cocking lever rams into the trigger mech' & shafts it up & they are bl##dy expensive to repair' but they are good for around 17-18ftb in fac form' but the fac laza HW80 is the better gun more reliable' better trigger mech & just as accurate'

Dave.