Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HFT - India.

Talking HFT - India.

After months of pestering by BBS member, Akshay, we finally got round to trying HFT over here.

With only four blokes present at the inaugural shoot it was a small start but it was fun.

Let me introduce the participants.

First up is pint size Sharan. All of eleven years old and has the makings of a good shot just like his old man. If only he would stop chattering like a monkey when he's out in the field... Sharan's trusty old Diana 27 is having some piston washer problems but he did not bat an eyelid when he was offered a monster of a HW80K - well for him anyway.

Next up is Sharan's gallon sized mate, Shreyas. More interested in something called Game Boy, whatever the hell that is. He will be entering his teens this December and makes sure that you know it by punctuating every sentence with, "AWWWSOME!" Shreyas has a National air-rifle but somehow managed to convince his elder brother, Akshay, that he too should be allowed to use that nice new HW77K. Well done Shreyas! Next time make sure you drench it a little more in the rain.

Following Shreyas is his brother Akshay who is just exiting his teens and follows the fortunes of McLaren. Poor sod! Akshay, as you now know, has a new HW77K topped with a 3-9x40 scope.

Bringing up the rear, was yours truly.

The location for the first shoot was Sharan's dad's farm which is just bordering a wildlife reserve and made an ideal site away from the concrete jungle.

The weather was quite benign to start with and so after a few practice shots the comp was underway.

We faithfully stuck to all the HFT rules except for muzzle energy and the muzzle down rule. Rest assured, safety was never compromised though.

Putting those pegs in awkward positions was great fun except when it was my turn to shoot.

For some reasons we Indians must be averse to any position besides standing. I tried a prone and two kneelers and Akshay tried a couple of kneelers but that I think was it.

I personally think that both the young lads shot very well, considering they were using a strange rifle which is far too big and heavy for either. When you see their scores, bear the above in mind and the fact that they took all shots standing with a recoiling rifle. Well done lads!

After the first twenty shots we retired for lunch, which in retrospect wasn't a good idea. All I wanted to do after that huge meal was lie down on the bench near the pond and catch some shut eye. It also allowed the afternoon tropical shower to drench us just after the start of the second session.

At first it was a very mild drizzle but I decided to ignore it and soon after even the mango tree we took shelter under couldn't prevent us from getting drenched. Mercifully, one of the farm hands had the presence of mind to drive the Landy over to the tree and we were spared a further drenching. Lightning is always something to be wary off and only last month a farmer on one of our shoots was struck down. So the sight of that Landrover Discovery was a very welcome one.

We managed to finish the comp from the vicinity of the farm house lest it start raining again and had to take the last three targets from under the tractor shed.

Akshay, the jammy sod that he is, pipped me to the post by one point on the last shot. Pity, because we wanted to prolong the shoot with a tie break and then 'sudden death'. My fault really as I was last.

So to end with, here are the scores:
    Sharan: 27/60
    Shreyas: 30/60
    Akshay: 42/60
    Rustam: 41/60

We hope to have the second round towards the end of next month and it would be safe to say that we are all looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Rustam Bana; 04-09-2007 at 08:57 AM.

I BEAT YOU, I BEAT YOU Just like McLaren are going to beat Ferrari byt the end of this year .
    You forgot to add the part where our guns get wet Rustam

Akshay

Speaking of wet guns and gun bags, if Tony Belas reads this, could you please tell me what material you use as the inner layer for the Armadillo?

Whilst the outer shell was wet, it was absolutely dry inside and I would like to use this material in the bags that I make for friends. Thanks.

logunshooter Guest
    Well done chaps!
    HFT is addictive is it not ?

Certainly a nice day out.

Could be addictive if I can get some from my own age group to participate. Know what I mean...

Aint I good enough company Rustam , Plus I BEAT YOU (I love saying that )

You're tolerable. Just joking.

But just imagine if we had the other fruit cakes from the range around. Now that would be a laugh-a-minute.

Just heard that the range may be closed next weekend because of the selection trials (need the details please). If that is so, I don't mind another go on Saturday provided we can get Anand, Tony, Dhiru, etc to participate. Would it be possible?

Rustam

Great stuff, Rusters - and what a fine gesture to 'let' the young 'un win, mate.

Could you take a camera along for the next round, mate? A 600-word account, plus pics, of Indian HFT would make a great piece for the AGW readers. We may even pay you!

Terry

Nice account, Rustam.

Mick
    Another Old Git.

Terry

"Let the young 'un win"?

Banish the thought. That's the last time that whipper-snapper pips me to the post. Famous last words? Hmmmm....

We did take a few pics. Will send the copies over when they have been d'd & p'd. Could use slide film at the next round if you prefer.

Is there a programme that calculates the number of words? How many would the above be - approximately? 800'ish?

I was thinking about writing a small article for India's only shooting magazine. If I change the contents a bit would that infringe any rights?

No need for payment mate. The wee lads will be over the moon to have featured in AGW and that's reward enough. Perhaps you could send me two copies that I could give them.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Rustam

Smile

Thanks, Mick.

We have been having power cuts all day today and it was written without any concession to good prose as I was not sure when the power would go and I would have to start all over again.

Rustam

Mclaren, Ferrari . and what age would that be Rusty

cheers
    roy

I think he's 19.

That right, Akshay?

Rustam

Gazo Guest
    Nice one Rustam

HFT becomes very addictive indeed.

We had a comp this morning at our club and I shot with Sparky, We had a great mornings shooting at Quarry and it wasn't even raining.

Enjoy your HFT.

Gary
    Last edited by Gazo; 16-05-2004 at 04:33 PM.

Oh and Rusty - I may be editing it, so you can forget any jibes on the cricket front, matey!

I'll certainly send you and the lads some mags, and I may have a rather fetching poster of the victorious England squad that recently eclipsed the Windies. Look nice on your boys' bedroom wall, that would - and it'd provide something to aspire to.

You could be the AGW overseas correspondent!

Terry