Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife sharpening

Question Knife sharpening

Can anyone give me their secrets on the easiest and cheapest method to get a sharp edge?

Lionel

bennyblanco Guest
    i use a pocket sized diamond coated steel, it works for me. there is a good article in AG world last month about sharpening, you can make a block of wood with an angled v cut in it that will hold a full length steel at the correct angle.

what about a sharpening stone?

I use a number of methods,

The two main ones involve a Japanese water stone, this takes practice to get the angle right.

The easiest method I use is with a pocket ceramic sharpener, this has two 'grits' a medium and a fine. Both sets are at the correct angle and it does get a razor edge on most of my blades, particularly my Helle fixed blade.

Dazz

PS the water stone is available from hardware stores, the ceramic can be bought from most fishing/hunting shops.

maty j is offline Nothing ventured, Nothing gained
    my dads got this thing you hold it and pull your knife throu it and it sharpens it. you can see the peices of metal comeing off the knife to form the perfect sharpness. takes under 1/2 a minute and is really good. v easy to use compared to a stone, think ist winchester and cost under a 10er.

I bought a Blade-Tech knife sharpener at a Game Fair last year, only £10 and briliant,and so easy to use, it will eaven sharpen an axe

Two screws

I got my Blade-Tech a couple of years ago and I've even used it on a machete. Very carefully.

Mick
    Another Old Git.

Dave Stringer Guest
    As far as stones go, it depends on the blade. Some stones seem to be better thn others depending on the steel. I have Arkansas white, Norton India and Waterstone. Of the three the norton india seems to do the best job on most of my blades. The diamon stone is ok, if fine enough, at least 600 grit, which I think is green colour code from memory. Thats the one i use, good in the field. Stropping with a leather is good for honing after you get a good edge, I find.

hope that helps

Dave

Blimey - what a response - thanks a lot everyone. I saw Nick Jenkinson's idea but woodwork isn't my strong point. The pocket sharpener sounds my kind of thing.

Lionel

Thunderbolt A10 Guest
    Hi,

A good set of sharping stones is the Lansky sharping set which gives, in most cases, a perfect and equal edge on both sides of the blade.
    A good set if you need to build your edge up from very dull or from none edge. Can also be used for touching up the edge but is not so fast as an ordinary sharping stone for this job.

Rgds,
    Thunderbolt A-10

Paul Hudson Guest
    I find the Lansky system is great (as Thunderbolt A10 has said) if you're grinding from a non-edge or very dull. It's also useful if you want to change the "edge angle" of a particular blade.

Once I've got the edge something like with the Lansky I finish the blades by hand with a variety of stones (depending on the type of steel in the blade) then go for the final edge with a butcher's steel. The angle is something that comes with trial, error, practise and "feel".

When I want to get a really "scary-sharp" edge, the leather strop comes out to finish it all off.

The only real drawback with the Lansky system is that it's a bit pricey to start with. The individual stones aren't too bad once you've got the rest of the accessories.

My favourite all-round stone is an Arkansas white.

Have a look at Attleborough Accessories to get some idea of prices for different sharpening systems, stones and so on.

Paul.

Mick H Guest

Thumbs up

Originally posted by mark_hammond
    i use a pocket sized diamond coated steel, it works for me.
    Got to agree with mark, I have used a diamond steel for about 10 yrs, and it's still going well, though it is nearly ready for a replacement now, but 10 years for something that cost me £6 isn’t bad at all.
    Best way to get a quick / sharp edge.
    ATB
    Mick

Gary C Guest

Re: Knife sharpening

Originally posted by lionel
    Can anyone give me their secrets on the easiest and cheapest method to get a sharp edge?

Lionel
    You're actually going to SKIN the trees now ? you're Barkin mate

Mark A Guest
    You can buy slip stones for touching up your blade, these are about 600 grit and will give a sharp edge fast. If you want samari sword sharpness get a Chinese water stone in 10,000 grit, yes thats right 10,000 . The blade will be easily as sharp as a razor blade so be carefull. The stone needs to be soaked in water for a few hours before use.

Mark

I have a number of different sharpening systems, but the one I use the most is a set of Lanksy wedge crock sticks.

I see that no one has mentioned knife value when it comes to sharpeners. Some of the cheap systems are fine if you are sharpening blades that only cost £30 or so, but I have quite a few knives in the £100 - £250 price bracket and a couple of hand made customs worth far more, so I’m not going to use a cheap system on those.
    Last edited by Haje; 24-05-2004 at 04:21 PM.