Thread: BSA Cadet Major question

BSA Cadet Major question

Just received my Cadet Major (cost me £25 and money well spent), in good condition and working. Chron0's at 500 fps with 7gr Hobby so doing just under 4 ft/lbs. I don't imagine this was ever a powerful gun but does anyone have the original fps specification please?

Mike95

Hi mike95
    I have 4 cadet majors and the power ranges from 5ft lbs to 7 ft lbs useing rws superdomes at 8.4grs
    have taken rabbit out to 30 yard head shots with the 7 ft lbs rifle and most cadet majors are spot on with open sights.
    JJJJJJ

I got one to. Bootsale a fiver. No way would I let that gun see my balls swinging in the wind at 30yds. Cracking little rifle.

Cadet Major

Thanks for that info. The leather washer is probably dry or knackered. It has a leather breech seal which looks knackered also. Very well made, no rust, but a nice "worn patina" on the metalwork. Stock covered in dings but most will steam out. The rear sight looks to be straight off the old BSA pre war underlevers.

Mike95

Your lucky guys they are great little guns. Probably among the nicest air rifles ever IMO.

BSA Cadet Major

I agree. The BSA Cadet Major is not too powerful but the most elegant air rifle Ive ever seen. Its accurate too!

Lovely little rifle. Happy memories of pinging oak apples at 20yds with my old mans one in the back garden when I was eight

Update

Just an update on the leather breech washer. Tried to make a new one from an old leather bootlace! Cadet owners will know that the washer does not have a uniform depth, being deeper at the top end than the bottom end, (similar to the HW55). Gave up after a while and found two rubber "O" rings the correct size but of course too shallow for the top of the breech machining. Put first ring in the machining and topped up the space with a silicone sealant, then gently pressed in the second O ring to give what I judged to be the correct amount of protusion (is this a word!). Left it to set and this seems to work well, pushes the fps up to 520. Refinished the stock,
    just oil and fine steel wool on the metal work.

Mike95