Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics on here

Pics on here

I just had to prune 600 pics and 300 threads off here lads, I will be removing pics and spent threads (sold items) regularly from now on as its probably adding to the slowdown effect when theres more than 700 members online
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    I just had to prune 600 pics and 300 threads off here lads, I will be removing pics and spent threads (sold items) regularly from now on as its probably adding to the slowdown effect when theres more than 700 members online
    Fair comment my friend, and those who don't like it can ask for a full subscription refund and move swiftly on . Do what you've gotta do mate, as we all understand and appreciate it . Atb: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    Needs must mate, I used to have to do this from time to time on a motor based forum and the grief i / we got for it Keep the bandwith flowing bud!

especially with my pee poor broadband speed now i can no longer get Virgin, back to bt line and the best speed i can get for download is a frustrating .35mb ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz! Oh it's refreshed

lets hope no one wants a quick reply huh?

ATVB PAUL

Baz.

Are you OK with links to pictures? They shouldn't slow anything down

Ora

Quote Originally Posted by ora8i View Post
    Baz.

Are you OK with links to pictures? They shouldn't slow anything down

Ora
    Links are fine Ora
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Smile

Hi Baz, I fully understand you have to cull pics due to their use of bandwidth and as administrators when all's said and done you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

But with great respect would it be possible to remove non-airgun threads (total to date >44,000 threads/1774 pages) and keep the collectable threads (total <3,000 threads/114 pages)?

Isn't the valuable knowledge contained in collectables threads worth a lot more to the members than non-airgun threads from eg. November 2005? (See below for examples of thread titles):

WWF - adopt an Orang Utan
    Gary C 28-11-2005 06:26 PM
    by 8mm Mauser 6 198

Ken Livingston talking sense for once...
    Rob M 28-11-2005 06:02 PM
    by throdgrain 6 208

Snow!
    smokin 28-11-2005 05:30 PM
    by smokin 16 394

Think of the dent
    Jackel 28-11-2005 05:07 PM
    by delta1 4 237

Interesting Article
    TEXASPROUD 28-11-2005 03:58 PM
    by Cam 2 135

Free T-Mobile Sims
    discodan 28-11-2005 12:32 PM
    by discodan 0 93

This Months Genie Sims
    discodan 28-11-2005 12:14 PM
    by discodan 0 161

Anodisers...?
    Lash13 28-11-2005 12:00 PM
    by Lash13 2 222

Any "LEGAL" Movie Downloaders?
    s.stimson 28-11-2005 11:24 AM
    by s.stimson 0 128

skoda octavia, anyone got one?
    BENSPEED888 28-11-2005 11:10 AM
    by Snapshot 15 313

iPod Question
    EV2UK 28-11-2005 10:44 AM
    by Dunckx 5 182

not for kidiewinks.
    max headroom 28-11-2005 10:26 AM
    by jinx 2 256

changing cars too... big diesel?
    andy_scouser 28-11-2005 09:44 AM
    by underwaterimage 12 313

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    Links are fine Ora
    Thats good news.
    What ?

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

noooooooooooooo

[/SIZE]
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Thats good news.
    What ?

ATB
    Ian
    i clicked on that

should have warned me

This is an Airgun Forum

Does this mean that we can no longer post pics , as some like me do not have web sharing/image hosting sites

As above member states , for an Airgun Forum , there seems a lot of very people who spend a lot of time talking about everything but Airguns .

I vote we drop the 'Non Airgun Related ' sub forum completely . People can chatabout Cars /Girls /the cost of Petrol elsewhere.
    Lets keep this FANTASTIC forum for shooting sports only
    Last edited by Arch.Stanton?; 22-07-2008 at 11:09 AM.
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung View Post

I vote we drop the 'Non Airgun Related ' forum completely. People can chatabout Cars /Girls /the cost of Petrol elsewhere.
    Lets keep this FANTASTIC forum for shooting sports only
    ... I am so with you on this 100%. Let them that want to rant about rubbish use the fish wives forum (Gareth W-B).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

collecting

I know we are into collectables on this bit of the site so not suprised the feeling is extended to collecting [and keeping] the pictures built up on here. It is a valuable resource and maybe other threads are not so important to document. I think it would be a shame to loose them, as this often happens when you try an old link to a hosting site. Keep them please. omant

Quote Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
    I vote we drop the 'Non Airgun Related ' sub forum completely . People can chatabout Cars /Girls /the cost of Petrol elsewhere.
    Sorry but you're weakening the argument here. There's no need to turn this into a "get rid of non-airguns altogether" debate.

My point is simply that if threads have to drop off the end of the forums from time to time to save bandwidth, why not take them off non-airgun, which has more than half a million posts, most of them redundant and overtaken by events/more recent posts?

Collectable threads often have valuable knowledge within them that shows up when a collector does a search.

Hardly anyone would bother searching for a thread about the best toaster/washing machine/widescreen TV dating from 2006. But a thread including details about eg. whether the cocking link on a BSA Improved Mod D fits on a pre-WW2 BSA Standard has real value to anoraks, I mean collectors (), now and in the future.

Sometimes 'dead' sales threads have this sort of information on them too, so deleting them destroys this info, along with the sale price etc.

I totally agree with the thoughts of Garvin on this issue, but wonder what the savings are by deleting pictures compared to deleting text, although with the number of redundant posts on the non-airgun section, compared to the collectables section, it would seem the non-airgun section is the place to start the cull.

Memory capacity

So lets start a campaign to rid AirgunBBS of all the useless junk thats got nothing to do with using and shooting guns .
    My comment is based on the assumption that memory capacity and how lack of affects our enjoyment of this forum , is wasted on unneccesary information .
    Not into computer jargon at all , but can imagine that one low res photo is equal to twenty pages of useless, mindless , twoddle
    Bahhh Humbug !
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

pics

I dont know if it makes any differrence, but once i have sold an item with pics attached to the ad, I always delete the pics from the upload site, so they disappear from the BBS