Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol red dot or laser sight?

Pistol red dot or laser sight?

Hello,
    Can anybody recommend a good red dot or laser sight for a pistol(hw45).
    I don`t know which would be the best, and I don`t want a telescopic sight also.

Thanks in advanced.

laser

green dot laser are good even in daylight

got a 30mm hawke red dot on mine seems to do the trick but jsr 30mm are cheaper from the site sponsor
    shoot safe
    Niel
    spelling mightbe hitt n missz but i dont mizz with the Ripley or the S400

Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    got a 30mm hawke red dot on mine seems to do the trick but jsr 30mm are cheaper from the site sponsor
    Perfik

Arrow

What do you want it for? (target practice, hunting, fun).

I have a JSR red dot sight that came with my HW45, and a cheapo Hong Kong "scope mounted" laser from a certain popular auction site. I had to use a 25mm scope mount and a plastic ring (which came with the laser) to mount the laser directly to my HW45 as I don't have a scope, it wasn't easy but it actually looks great

The red dot is better for accuracy and serious target practice. It is far more adjustable, but it does take some getting used to if you have never used a red dot before.

The laser is FAR more fun It is much smaller and lighter than a red dot and thus allows faster target acquisition. I prefer it to the red dot, so it stays on top of my HW45 all the time.

Red dot Laser

Ave Caer!
    No! Sorry! That's Ceasar! But Hi anyway.
    It really is a case of pay your money and take your choice.
    I put a JSR TV screen on the front of my Nemesis because the sights on that are really poor and I wanted something which will not add front end weight. So light was the criteria but at under a tenner with free delivery I was delighted.
    The Hurricane has a Hawke 30 on the rear extension and that is vastly superior in quality and adjustment and again it puts the weight where it's needed.
    The Hurricane also has a Perfect Line trigger guard laser but I have short fingers and I find it awkward to squeeze the on pressure pad as I take aim but I will shortly modify that to an on/off switch.
    I must admit that the laser is the poor relation as the dot is small and you really need a scope to pick it up over 5 metres.
    To start with I printed off some graticles on a clear sheet and mounted them over the front of the lens to help me centre the red dot and it worked well on the Hawke but made the JSR very dark.

Regards
    Target Bunny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Quote Originally Posted by caer View Post
    Hello,
    Can anybody recommend a good red dot or laser sight for a pistol(hw45).
    I don`t know which would be the best, and I don`t want a telescopic sight also.

Thanks in advanced.

An important thing to note with Red Dot sights. You do not focus your eye on the dot. Both eyes are open and focused on your target. You must let the red dot float between your eye and the target. The dominant eye will take over. Trust me it works.
    Never focus on the dot.

This may seem a bit bazaar when you first try it. It works so well.

atb Phil

Thanks all.

A red dot sight seems the choice .. any good recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by caer View Post
    Thanks all.

A red dot sight seems the choice .. any good recommendations?
    I got 2 on the £bay site. One came with a crappy lil scope, but for £2.00 or so it was worth it for the laser

The other I paid a tenner for and it fits my Walther CP99. Came with dual switch ends, one so you can push a button, the other fastens to the grip so when you grip the pistol ready to aim, the laser turns on.
    Oh yeah, the tenner included postage
    There not as easy to set up as a standard scope though. Makes it even harder being a pistol.
    Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

For 5 years I have had a Millet SP-1 red dot on my .22 HW45. The brightness dial goes from #1 to #11. When indoor shooting I use setting #2 and a few days ago I used #7 for outdoor shooting. On a bright day I had to go up to #8 setting. My accuracy with the red dot seems improved over open sights.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/airpics7/HW45a.jpg

Here are some recent 50 yard offhand targets that I posted on another forum for a "challenge event". The pellet holes were outlined for better visibility. The pistol was sighted in for 10 metres so I used a secondary target for POA. The POI dropped 21" at 50 yards.

The first 10 shot grouping measures approx 5" and the second one 7".

It looks like my sight could be adjusted a bit to bring POI to the right.

.22 HW45 at 50 yards - RWS Super-H-Point - 10 shots offhand - isosceles hold

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...allenge005.jpg

.22 HW45 at 50 yards - RWS Super-H-Point - 10 shots offhand - isosceles hold

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...allenge008.jpg

Cheers,
    Todd

Nice going Todd, guess I'm gonna have to step away from the 10yds and up to 15yds.
    tab Phil

Bob. is offline I think I'll keep with "Registered User" then
    Just Bought an HW45 Silver Star (.177), with a Hawke 30mm Red Spot yesterday.
    On the range, I could do 1" groups at 12 yards, 2" groups at 15 yards, 3" groups at 20 yards and 4" groups at 25 yards (and I've almost never shot a handgun before).
    Beyond 25 yards the pellet just started dropping down a bit.
    The problem I had was that at 12-15 yards, I could centre the red dot on the centre of the target, but by the time I got out to 25 yards, the target was so small compared to the dot that the dot covered about 1/3 of the target, so it was difficult to get any accuracy over that distance.
    Great fun though

Bob.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

and make sure you got mounts that will go onto a 13mm scope rail,bsa scopemaster mounts are ideal

Bob. is offline I think I'll keep with "Registered User" then
    Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    and make sure you got mounts that will go onto a 13mm scope rail,bsa scopemaster mounts are ideal
    Turned mine over last night, Andy. Looks much better now (and hopefully, no scope creep!). Need to re-zero again
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    An important thing to note with Red Dot sights. You do not focus your eye on the dot. Both eyes are open and focused on your target. You must let the red dot float between your eye and the target. The dominant eye will take over. Trust me it works.
    Never focus on the dot.

This may seem a bit bazaar when you first try it. It works so well.

atb Phil

This is a great bit of advice, I'm also new to red dot sights, will try this out this afternoon, they are very different to opens or scopes and take a bit of getting used to.

I'll let you know how I get on

Thanks PaulM