Thread: pistol power

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caer View Post
    The scorpion was just so long for a pistol though .. that black shiny plastic .. urgg!
    I actually like the Scorpion's looks, and find the HW45 ugly. That big overlever and frame looks so out-of proportion with the grip, it just looks horrible to me, it's a typical piece of German engineering, technically good, well made, but graceless and lumpen. And I stand by my comments on these, I have seen five or six HW45s up to now, ones that are well-run-in and have burnt off most of their oil do around 4.5 ft/lbs or less, some do a bit more, but usually only when they're dieselling. The .22s tend to be more powerful than .177s apparently, and I admit that most of the 45s I have seen so far are .177, but I remain to be convinced that the 45 is the more powerful pistol. I prefer the Scorpion in every respect really. In fact, the HW45 is one of my least favourite pistols, if it weren't for its sentimental value I would flog it. I reach for my Webley Tempest most often, then my BSAs (Scorpions, then 240 Magnums), then Hy-Scores, then the Cometa Indian, Baikal and Records. There's just something unattractive and somehow lacking about the 45. It's powerful enough, well made, and accurate, but it's just somehow dull. It's difficult to say exactly why I don't like it really.
    Last edited by Rob M; 21-07-2008 at 02:35 PM.