Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W best pellet?

S&W best pellet?

HI all i bought myself a steel finish s&w 6 inch revolver. While plinking in the garden using any old pellets around, i realised that thisis an incredibly accurate bit of kit great for targeting etc! (for fun of course) any way im new to co2 guns, and can anyone say the best pellet type for these bits of kit?

Thanks all Rich.

Hi Rich,

The Umarex guns love RWS Hobby, and they're cheap as chips too. The lads who entered July's target pistol competition with their Smiths both used H&N Match Kugeln however, and Cookie got a very respectable score indeed with that combination.

Plenty of others, myself included, use Hobby in the CO2 section of the competition, so why not buy a tin of both and make your own mind up?

Hope that helps,

Mike.

Hobbies.

Yep. Hobbies in mine too. £2.95 for 500. I've tried Air Arms Fields too with good results.

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

cool, ill see if i can get the hobbies. Are all rws (7-7.9) good? i know they do a co2 pell is that any good? also why are most co2 pells flat heads?? As for the a.a. im trying to get them for my ev2. In essex they seem hard to get along with jsbs. Pleae keep the info comeing, its a great help, thanks.

The wadcutter (flat-head) pellets tend to work better in the Umarex rotary mags because they can be seated inside the chambers of the mags: no protrusion means no jams.

The round-headed types like Accupells work well too, but because they're heavier, expect a significant POI shift compared to the lighter Hobbies.

Pointed pellets are a no-no due to the risk of protrusion causing feed jams, graunchy mag indexing and possibly mangled pellets; they are no more aerodynamic than other types despite their sleeker looks!

RWS Hobby or Geco. Both perform well and the price is right!
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    RWS Hobby or Geco. Both perform well and the price is right!
    Yeah, have to agree. I get my best Co2 groups (in my Walther CP99) with Geco pells.

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Another vote for Hobby or Geco.

ok so it looks like rws hobby /flat heads. What would you say they are accurate to? Like hitting coke cans and stuff? Paper puncjing at ten m i take it rws, and 20 m knock down targets, are they ok for that as well?

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanrich View Post
    ok so it looks like rws hobby /flat heads. What would you say they are accurate to? Like hitting coke cans and stuff? Paper puncjing at ten m i take it rws, and 20 m knock down targets, are they ok for that as well?

Thanks all.
    Fraid I cant say about 20m knock downs in a Co2 pistol. Think there designed for 10mtr paper punching (well my Cp99 was).
    Tony
    (Airgun Section)

I've knocked down knockdown targets at 12 yards or so, with the S & W.

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

As MikeB stated above H&N Match Kugeln for me, but they seem to work well across the board for me, my 2 HW40's seem to love them. down side they are not cheap you will get 2-3 tins of hobby for the same money depending where you shop.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Pellets

Hi Guys
    Oh well out on a limb again.
    I use Dynamic PPP I since I object to lead in the environment. Expensive but accurate they fly flatter (and so higher) than most other pellets. They are fine for target work but because they are harder they can penetrate much more than most and so are not clever for hunting unless you take a head shot or through the shoulder.
    Will eventually get round to doing penetration tests on various pellets and put them up on the site.

Regards
    Jim
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Hi Guys
    Oh well out on a limb again.
    I use Dynamic PPP I since I object to lead in the environment. Expensive but accurate they fly flatter (and so higher) than most other pellets.
    Regards
    Jim
    Hi Jim,
    Are those the plastic bodied ones will little metal cores?
    I have some of those (yellow plastic, with some form of alloy nose and Core) similar to Flat headed Promethius pellets.
    Never fired them other than a couple of times through my CP99 into a form of ballistics gel.

I did some penetration tests months ago using a geletin block (My pistol bow won hands down, through the gel, and the metal container) using a few different pellets. (They say great minds think alike)
    The yello plastic things looked cool, the metal core continued to penetrate after the body had stopped which surprised me.

Tony
    (Airgun Section)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    Hi Jim,
    Are those the plastic bodied ones will little metal cores?
    I have some of those (yellow plastic, with some form of alloy nose and Core) similar to Flat headed Promethius pellets.
    The yellow plastic things looked cool, the metal core continued to penetrate after the body had stopped which surprised me.

Tony
    Decided to have a propper play with em this dinner time!

BINNED THE LOT of em CRAP!!! the worst thing I could ever do.
    Put a few dozen through my CP99, my P800 and my P23!!!
    Then went back to Geco's and Eley Wasps.
    Out of the few hundred I fired hardly any actually landed where I placed the sight
    Guess the PPP's you mention aint the little yellow that I thought of!
    Spent hours cleaning my barrels Kept pulling little grey/yellow threads of plastic (thinner than PTFE) out of the barrels! NOT FUN

Tony
    (Airgun Section)