Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: different brands of balls

different brands of balls

looking around for some new .454 lead balls and found an ad in gunmart, noted that just the ad I was looking at had 3 manufacturers and pricing varied a fair bit

are some better than others??

why are the £9.90 per 100 better than the £7 per 100 ones??

tony

are you at the club tmw, ive been toooo busy baling bloody hay to get there im going tmw though (the ugly git!)

balls

hi,mould your own save your self a packet.Terry

When I used to buy them I never noticed any difference regarding brands i.e quality. The two I bought : SPEER and HORNADY. As has been mentioned make your own, you will soon get your money back. Mould about £19, laddle £3 and melting pot about a fiver. Oh and a camping stove - cheap way of doing it.
    Take precautions though; mask, gloves and cast in your shed/garage windows and door open - I keep my casting time to the minimum - obvious dangers.

As Terry say's DIY,
    I've just priced up a pair of double cavity moulds, .36 (.375) & .44 (.451) direct from Lee precision in the US and they work out at £33.86 incl shipping.
    That's cheaper than you can get them over here without the postage !!!

p.s. All of their double cavity moulds are the same price.

All the best
    Baz

Quote Originally Posted by bigjob View Post
    are you at the club tmw, ive been toooo busy baling bloody hay to get there im going tmw though (the ugly git!)
    yes mate be there from about 5:45-6pm onwards, taking a .22lr rifle and the .44BP revolver, theres a military rifle comp on, but not interested in that right now

anyway yes I am aware that making your own is cheaper, but to be honest 100 will last me a very long time, and my time is so limited that Im not sure I would get round to making my own

happy to buy them for now

Tony,

If you can get your paws on some lead do so, as you will sooner or later want to make your own.

x50 in about 1hr, that includes about 20mins for the lead to reach the right temp and your away.

Quote Originally Posted by tony1975 View Post
    looking around for some new .454 lead balls and found an ad in gunmart, noted that just the ad I was looking at had 3 manufacturers and pricing varied a fair bit

are some better than others??

why are the £9.90 per 100 better than the £7 per 100 ones??
    Hi Tony

I think the Speer are swaged & allegedly more accurate than using cast balls.

Personally I am not willing to pay that sort of price as when you add powder, cap (and wad if I'm feeling rich ) - it takes the price up !!

Cast it is for me - I can buy local at £6/100 if I have run out of my own cast jobbies.

Cheers

Roy

kluson Guest
    where's the best place to buy the lead?
    thanks

I've just emailed harricook, to ask if flashing lead for roofing is suitable. If it is, place like buliders merchants, Wickes and Travis Perkins etc would be the best place to buy lead (or a scrapyard )

All the best
    Baz

kluson Guest
    many thanks

No prob's, hope it is OK to use it, I think it would be a cheaper way of getting your balls sorted

All the best
    Baz

Hi Baz

Strangely enough I've never used it for casting.

I read somwhere that it was 'harder' than plumbers lead so as to prevent 'creep' when used on roofs etc.

I'll ask for you

Get back to you soon as

Cheers

Roy

Cheers Roy,

That will be very helpful !

All the very best
    Baz

I've used flashing, but have also had lead used for plumbing mixed in. It should be OK on its own for B/P. The bit I've got left seems pretty soft (bends easily and you can make a decent indentation with your thumb).